GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,551 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Two player game adjustments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ahmet Uysal
msg tools
Hello,

I and my brother played Escape from Innsmouth and Shattered Bonds twice each, but lost terribly because of strong mythos effects, like suffer 4 facedown damage.

We were thinking why we lost and it is not because of difficult mysteries etc., but since we are only two players, every four action ends with a mythos phase. If there were 5 players, it means mythos phase comes every 10 actions.

I want to ask if you have any adjustments for one or two players game. Application is supposed to adjust difficulty according to number of investigators. But, as you need to be fast, it is kind of impossible to do with two investigators and four actions in total.

Sorry for long post. this game has huge potential, but this unbalance really frustrates me.

Thanks!
Ahmet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience the strength of the mythos events ramps up way faster in a 5 player game to compensate for the investigators getting 10 turns. Those scenarios are both very difficult for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmet Uysal
msg tools
Thanks for the reply.

You are right in app adjusting difficulty for number of players. But, I feel like the number of turns to reveal some mysteries are going to be lot less for four-five players game, which would save some time.

But, I think I need to play more to see if it is really balanced or not.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Horton
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know some folks allow for three actions in a two player game. I sometimes do it as it helps with the time crunch imposed by the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Try playing two investigators each as a 4-player game and see how it compares. That should help you confirm or refute your theory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found the app scales very well based on the number of players. Comparing 2 player to 4 player games, the number of rounds it gives you to achieve things is typically doubled, and the severity of the mythos events is typically halved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.