Subject: Message in a Bottle (well Box) Returning to ASL rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
BGG Has connected me with a local ASL player, so for the first time in 20 years, I'm examining my ASL stuff. And my brother unexpectedly paid off a small loan that I made to him in 1989 (that's why repayment was unexpected), and I decided to buy new ASL stuff from MMP. Beyond Valor, Yanks, Last Hurrah, Rules (because my rules still say Avalon Hill...)

I opened my box of ASL stuff and...
It turns out that I DO have a rulebook by MMP (ASL Rules, 2d edition). I guess those are "current" (but I haven't added any change pages in 20 years). Not sure if I should get a refund on the recent purchase (it hasn't even been processed yet as I ordered on the weekend) or if I want to keep the new book because of change pages.

I wonder if my counters are a write-off because for 20 years they have been in a parts-box that had just enough open space to allow dust into the containers for the last 20 years. They might be playable, and I'll probably keep them for backup extra for a while (as I had most every core module).

King and Country is currently OOP, so if I want to play Brits (Italians, Axis Minors), I have to use the old counters, and maybe I can find a way to salvage them. it's just that some of the dust over the last 20 years has come from being in the same basement as the cat litter box, and that kinda grosses me out... I do live in an extremely dry climate though. If it wasn't OOP, I wouldn't question repurchasing.

In the old days I was never interested in PTO, but now I am. I wonder if the rules in Code of Bushido and Gung Ho are still applicable, given the repackaging of the PTO into a new product at MMP (Rising Sun, right?) That is in print, and my Code of Bushido/Gung Ho are mint/unpunched. What do I need to know about 'conversion' of those two titles to the modern ASL era?

I also have, unpunched and in "mint" (we can argue about external box condition) condition (unfolded maps, etc.).

Code of Bushido
Gung Ho
A Bridge Too Far
Kampfgruppe Peiper (I)

I was kinda stunned to see what Bridge Too Far is going for on e-bay.
Is it really worth $600 unpunched? I might have to part with it... (but no!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me throw this thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliodorus04 wrote:
BGG Has connected me with a local ASL player, so for the first time in 20 years, I'm examining my ASL stuff.

Welcome back, Dane. See also the ASL Players' Google Map to find opponents - PM me if you want a pin added.

https://www.google.com/maps/@10.060804,-47.646546,3z/data=!3...

Quote:
And my brother unexpectedly paid off a small loan that I made to him in 1989 (that's why repayment was unexpected), and I decided to buy new ASL stuff from MMP. Beyond Valor, Yanks, Last Hurrah, Rules (because my rules still say Avalon Hill...)

I opened my box of ASL stuff and...
It turns out that I DO have a rulebook by MMP (ASL Rules, 2d edition). I guess those are "current" (but I haven't added any change pages in 20 years). Not sure if I should get a refund on the recent purchase (it hasn't even been processed yet as I ordered on the weekend) or if I want to keep the new book because of change pages.

Your 2nd edition rulebook is more than adequate. Yes, there have been a number of page changes since it was published (what's the date on the bottom of the pages - 2000?). None (IMO) are earth-shattering, so don't sweat it too much.

Quote:
I wonder if my counters are a write-off because for 20 years they have been in a parts-box that had just enough open space to allow dust into the containers for the last 20 years. They might be playable, and I'll probably keep them for backup extra for a while (as I had most every core module).

King and Country is currently OOP, so if I want to play Brits (Italians, Axis Minors), I have to use the old counters, and maybe I can find a way to salvage them. it's just that some of the dust over the last 20 years has come from being in the same basement as the cat litter box, and that kinda grosses me out... I do live in an extremely dry climate though. If it wasn't OOP, I wouldn't question repurchasing.

In the old days I was never interested in PTO, but now I am. I wonder if the rules in Code of Bushido and Gung Ho are still applicable, given the repackaging of the PTO into a new product at MMP (Rising Sun, right?) That is in print, and my Code of Bushido/Gung Ho are mint/unpunched. What do I need to know about 'conversion' of those two titles to the modern ASL era?

Again, none of the changes are that significant - your old counters (and old Ch. H pages) are fine. Check the MMP website under support and you'll find a detailed listing of errata - by noting those changes you'll be at par with everyone else.

Quote:
I also have, unpunched and in "mint" (we can argue about external box condition) condition (unfolded maps, etc.).

Code of Bushido
Gung Ho
A Bridge Too Far
Kampfgruppe Peiper (I)

I was kinda stunned to see what Bridge Too Far is going for on e-bay.
Is it really worth $600 unpunched? I might have to part with it... (but no!)

Yes, the HASLs don't get reprinted (ever) so they tend to go up in value once they're out of print. MMP tells stories, however, of having trouble moving the last few ABTF's and had to mark them down - a bit shocking when you see what they go for now. ABTF is unique, of course, because it was the only source of the throw-back to SL's Cross of Iron black SS counters. The mixed feedback led to a decision on MMP's part not to continue with them (i.e. in black), so that's the end of the line.

Enjoy returning to the hobby - remember the main goal is to have fun!

-Nadir
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Wow, I have some rare stuff down there.
I have an ASL Journal with the Tavutu-Tanambogo mini-campaign.
And I keep seeing this information on Pbr and I thought I did not own Pegasus Bridge. Turns out I have an ASL Journal with something called the Primorose Bridge Campaign (but did it have any counters? I have the map). It appears to have a Z-section of rules that I have, too.

(I also have my old ASL-by-Avalon-Hill Rules Set).

Fun. I'm gung ho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me throw this thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliodorus04 wrote:
Wow, I have some rare stuff down there.
I have an ASL Journal with the Tavutu-Tanambogo mini-campaign.

That was re-issued (on a single map sheet) in the release of "Rising Sun" (which combined what you have in Code of Bushido and Gung Ho) so not super rare, but the Journal itself still is (again, something almost never reprinted).

Quote:
And I keep seeing this information on Pbr and I thought I did not own Pegasus Bridge. Turns out I have an ASL Journal with something called the Primorose Bridge Campaign (but did it have any counters? I have the map). It appears to have a Z-section of rules that I have, too.

Primosole Bridge and Pegasus Bridge are both great fun - I recommend your keeping and playing them both. Both are also out of print. No counters came with Primosole Bridge - it can be played with your standard West of Alamein (or For King and Country) counters.

Quote:
(I also have my old ASL-by-Avalon-Hill Rules Set).

Fun. I'm gung ho.

Sounds good! Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.