$30.00
Tony B
United States
flag msg tools
Can you block or prevent a surge effect? I did not see an answer in the rules manual in "spend surges" and "deal damage". I also did not see another thread about this.

If someone attacks me and has a surge that can add a condition, it makes no sense to me that I would get that condition if I am able to block all the damage coming in. Only things I see activating before defense is added damage, pierce, and anything else that affects range or damage. However, I am asking because I cannot seem to find out for sure since you add surge effects before the defense dice are rolled.

For example (if even needed) a zombie rolls 3 hearts and one surge for poison. If I roll three shields, am I still poisoned? If so, what if I rolled 4 shields? I imagine poison to be a melee attack and not a magical "poof, now you have it" thing. Maybe I am getting too realistic about it, but I would think the delivery method for poison, disease, immobilize, stun or weaken to have to have some sort of damaging contact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
All* conditions that are inflicted by an attack require damage to be dealt in order to inflict the condition. If you suffer no damage from the attack, the condition on a surge will not apply.

*exceptions will tell you when they are excepted.

Non-condition effects do not require any damage to be dealt*. For example, Splig's Knockback ability, or the Flesh Moulder's Mend ability.

*exceptions will tell you when they are excepted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks! Where did you find that if I may ask?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Regarding conditions being dealt from attacks: Basic rulebook.
Regarding other effects applying on surge: Extrapolation based on data and I'm pretty sure the devs expressly mentioned it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Falco
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
First paragraph under Conditions, page 15 of the rulebook.

Edit:ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jillian Mitchell
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if you block all damage as in the example above, but the monster rolls 2 surges. One option is to add damage and the other can cause poison. Can they use the first surge to hit, and then the second to poison you? Or can the first surge not be applied?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
If the monster has a damage effect from Surge and that would mean it rolls above the defense total, it can then apply conditions from remaining Surges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the first surge is spent adding unblocked damage, the n the second surge can be used to apply a condition. If the surge-enhanced damage doesn't exceed the block, then the second surge cannot be used to apply a condition.

Edit: ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oilerfan wrote:
If the first surge is spent adding unblocked damage, the n the second surge can be used to apply a condition. If the surge-enhanced damage doesn't exceed the block, then the second surge cannot be used to apply a condition.

Edit: ninja

You're able to spend a surge on a condition whether or not the attack will deal damage. When the attack proceeds to step 5, if no damage is dealt, the defeder does not receive the condition. That is, "surgeoison" doesn't immediately poison the target. It adds the effect to the attack "IF this attack deals at least 1 damage (which won't be determined until the next step) the target is poisoned."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.