Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sarcastic tone of the article:

http://freedomoutpost.com/7-reasons-the-government-must-stop...

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, after all if they changes the name to "shed" then it wouild not look nearly as good for the whining about having to obey the same planning laws as everyone else.

Much as I do applaud these people and their efforts they still have to obey the bloody law. Indeed it seems that this is not being driven by evil government (or Obama) but by pissed off neighbors.

Is a cardboard box on the lawn so much of a bind?

Not only an eyesore, but it seems to be not on his property, as it seems to be on the public verge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny because the tone of this article and your post is "the gubmit is bad it's so bad it's so heavy handed" but the reality is that in the story, it's all neighbors being assholes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
It's funny because the tone of this article and your post is "the gubmit is bad it's so bad it's so heavy handed" but the reality is that in the story, it's all neighbors being assholes.

I'm not seeing that part of the story. Unless you're talking about the angry leftist (we must assume) who left a nasty note demanding that the little free library be taken down "or the city will!"

But if that's what you're talking about, that's hardly "all neighbors being assholes."

In fact, that looks like one neighbor being an asshole and thereby ruining it for everyone. Which is often the case.

Stuff like this makes me want to put up a Little Free Library myself. Of course, there are already several in my neighborhood (including two in front of a nearby elementary school), so I'd have competition.

Maybe I could put flashing lights on it, or a loudspeaker!
Maybe then they should have erected them on their land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:

I didn't say anything about the government being heavy handed, though in retrospect some of them sure seem to be.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

I'm not seeing that part of the story. Unless you're talking about the angry leftist (we must assume) who left a nasty note demanding that the little free library be taken down "or the city will!"

But if that's what you're talking about, that's hardly "all neighbors being assholes."

In fact, that looks like one neighbor being an asshole and thereby ruining it for everyone. Which is often the case.

Stuff like this makes me want to put up a Little Free Library myself. Of course, there are already several in my neighborhood (including two in front of a nearby elementary school), so I'd have competition.

The story is "all about" neighbors being jerks to each other, not government overreach. Not ALL neighbors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
rylfrazier wrote:
HOW 'lazy' of "supposed" Capitalists just don't SELL them in their "Yard Sale"? With them "'lemons'", even also have some 'stand' for such! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
The story is "all about" neighbors being jerks to each other, not government overreach. Not ALL neighbors.

They can be jerks all day long and nothing happens. But they eventually turn to the law and threats of violence to enforce their asshole behaviors.

But using the law to shut down people you disagree or who irritate you is all part of the social contract you kids signed up for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Little Free Libraries rock. There's three of 'em within walking distance of my house. I'd put one in front of my house, except being on a cul-de-sac, I don't think we'd get much foot traffic to it.

But this story seems a little overwrought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

No, it's really not.

But on that point, it's not against the law and why must the government step in and decide to "regulate" a private citizen's little free library?

This is just one more data point which causes the great mass of American citizens to decide that the government is too big and too intrusive. And honestly, defending the government's actions here just makes you look like a little power-hungry bureaucrat trying to control people's lives.

If your response to this story isn't "The government has no business interfering here" then you're pretty much an enemy of the citizen class.
It as on public land, and building on public land is against the law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it not causing traffic flow problems or some sort of hazard, leave them alone.

Drew1365 wrote:
Unless you're talking about the angry leftist (we must assume) who left a nasty note demanding that the little free library be taken down "or the city will!"

No, you must assume it's a lefty causing trouble. Everyone else won't make assumptions without evidence or even a suggestion of motive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Is it 'building' if it's a temporary, moveable structure? Are they even big enough to be a structure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Is it 'building' if it's a temporary, moveable structure? Are they even big enough to be a structure?

So can you just put up a sign, or bench on public land?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

No, it's really not.

But on that point, it's not against the law and why must the government step in and decide to "regulate" a private citizen's little free library?

This is just one more data point which causes the great mass of American citizens to decide that the government is too big and too intrusive. And honestly, defending the government's actions here just makes you look like a little power-hungry bureaucrat trying to control people's lives.

If your response to this story isn't "The government has no business interfering here" then you're pretty much an enemy of the citizen class.

Zoning laws exist for a reason. You don't want people building dangerous structures close to the street. Sometimes those laws are badly written, sometimes they're well written.

When they're badly written and you have horrible neighbors, you have a problem, but this isn't really "the government's" fault. Whenever you can't get along with your neighbors, you have a problem.

If there were no rules regarding putting stuff in your front yard, if you and I lived next door to each other and started arguing, for example, you put up a library, I don't like it, I put up a huge sign saying you're a jerk, you don't like it, you put up a electric fence, it kills my dog, I don't like it, I put up a motorized machine gun, it kills your kid, soon we're the hatfields and the mccoys.

There need to be rules, and those rules can be used by jerks to do jerk things, but the problem isn't OH NO THERE ARE RULES IF ONLY THERE WERE NO RULES the problem is jerks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
whistle Not ONLY 'benches' since also GUNS! 'attune' of "Happineccessarily"~ whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools

Yeah, a box of books is a serious hazard. Some lib might choke trying to eat one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
:whistle: Not ONLY 'benches' since also GUNS! 'attune' of "Happineccessarily"~ :whistle:

Is that a 75mm or are you just pleased to see me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knewt wrote:

Yeah, a box of books is a serious hazard. Some lib might choke trying to eat one.
It'sábout repciodent, he puts up a 45 foot tall open shec, someone else puts up a 5 foot tall closed shed, someone else goes "but my shed is only 5 and a half foot tall", and so on.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-0204-lopez-lib...

Key point of relevance (as it is right near a road junction).

"I have seen local teenagers gather there on their way home from school and take books. I have seen nannies and housekeepers of neighbors take books on their way to and from work."

Yes, a group of people gathering on a pavement and hanging about is an obstruction (irrespective of the road safety issue of kids gathering near a junction).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Donald wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Yes. In American we call them folding signs and lawn chairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Donald wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Yes. In American we call them folding signs and lawn chairs.

This was rather more permanent, and no a folding chair is not a bench.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
It's amazing that the goo-goo reaction to every instance of government overreach is always to presume the government knows best. It's like they scraped off their "Question Everything!" bumper stickers the moment Glorious Obama was elected.
This was local people complaining, should they be ignored?

Why should one group of locals be listened to and another lot ignored?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
It's amazing that the goo-goo reaction to every instance of government overreach is always to presume the government knows best. It's like they scraped off their "Question Everything!" bumper stickers the moment Glorious Obama was elected.
This was local people complaining, should they be ignored?

Why should one group of locals be listened to and another lot ignored?

Same could be said about the group who's being ignored while wanting these little libraries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
Well seriously, does anyone not hear this story and immediately think "Evil Homeowners association?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Well seriously, does anyone not hear this story and immediately think "Evil Homeowners association?"

They raised a ruckus about my Little Free Pharmacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.