Subject: Kudos to Rio Grande! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rgg [+] [View All]
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
My excitement over a recent purchase of Caylus turned to dismay after I found that I was missing some marker bits for the Red player.

I found the Rio Grande website and submitted my request to have these pieces sent to me. To be honest I never expected to hear anything back from them. Several weeks later my pieces arrived.

I really wanted to point this out. It's good to see that a game publisher will actually stand behind its product and do what they can to "make things right" with the customer - especially today when most sales can be classed as "Buyer be-ware".

Thanks Rio Grande!!!

Anyone else out there with similar experience with Rio Grande or another publisher? Anyone with a bad experience?

Please share

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a thread with my experience with them and others commenting.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/420481#420481

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
iPAUL wrote:
Anyone else out there with similar experience with Rio Grande or another publisher? Anyone with a bad experience?

not surprising there are lots of existing threads both giving praise and cursing other publishers.

RGG (aka Jay) is always good... he usually emails you back pretty quick, and at least in the USA I've had the missing parts in my hand a week later.

Mayfair is also good at sending you the missing parts, but they don't respond to let you know they are, and they take a little longer.

Immortal Eyes responded and sent me my missing meeples to Terra Nova recently.

Wizards of the Coast sent me a couple corrected cards that were mis-printed in Guillotine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add Z-Man games to the list - great customer service. Very fast turn-around when I was missing some followers from my version of Gheos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Libby
United States
Middletown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jay over at Rio Grande is a good egg. He has sent me a replacement for a missing piece from Elfenland and a broken El Grande King piece. Both times he responded promptly and had the pieces in the mail right to me.

Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add to the list: Jeremy at Fantasy Flight is very helpful. I ordered some replacement parts (not because they were missing but because I had broken them) and he sent them free of charge within a week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Brooks
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day..."
badge
Gnome dance is best dance.
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

Immortal Eyes aka Winning Moves Games does a pretty good job keeping customers happy and making sure things are made right if things are missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crazyyog wrote:
Jay over at Rio Grande is a good egg. He has sent me a replacement for a missing piece from Elfenland and a broken El Grande King piece. Both times he responded promptly and had the pieces in the mail right to me.

Gary

They are great. I'm kind of hoping they will offer replacement cards for the El Grande Dicentennial ones with the cutoff text frames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
gilby123 wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:

Immortal Eyes aka Winning Moves Games does a pretty good job keeping customers happy and making sure things are made right if things are missing.

Given you are in the next town from their Danvers office you must get really fast service!

And yes, I forgot about Z-Man games... Zev did send me a replacement card for one that was missing, and he had it well protected in the envelope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Trimmer
United States
West Jefferson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

RGG (aka Jay) is always good... he usually emails you back pretty quick, and at least in the USA I've had the missing parts in my hand a week later.

I recently purchased "Galloping Pigs" and found that my set of pig pawns didn't match the supplied cards. After writing to the address supplied on the website, I promptly received an email back from Jay and had the replacement pieces in roughly two days. With service like that, I'll gladly keep buying Rio Grande releases! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Belash wrote:
Here's a thread with my experience with them and others commenting.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/420481#420481

And http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1420422#1420422

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine if you bought software and, surprise, the CD wasn't in the box. Would you be applauding the company's efforts to send you a CD in the mail or would you be steaming mad that you had to waste your time getting a replacement.

Don't get me wrong, I understand these game companies could easily say "return to place of purchase" or ignore you completely. I have yet to be angry at any missing or damaged components since I know I will always get replacements in due time. I found it interesting that when I bought a new push lawn mower and it was missing a bolt, I was furious. Now I had to waste my time either contacting the company or going to the store and buying my own bolt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Helms
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of my games from Rio Grande that I have opened have been complete and there have been zero problems with them.

As far as other companies, I contacted WotC/Hasbro/Avalon Hill about a missing piece for a game that I had bought a few years back. I explained the situation and they mailed the piece to me in about a week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My experience with DOW has also been very good. They also had the Replacement Dice program for Battelore on their website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
dcorban wrote:
Imagine if you bought software and, surprise, the CD wasn't in the box. Would you be applauding the company's efforts to send you a CD in the mail or would you be steaming mad that you had to waste your time getting a replacement.

Don't get me wrong, I understand these game companies could easily say "return to place of purchase" or ignore you completely. I have yet to be angry at any missing or damaged components since I know I will always get replacements in due time. I found it interesting that when I bought a new push lawn mower and it was missing a bolt, I was furious. Now I had to waste my time either contacting the company or going to the store and buying my own bolt.

Actually I'm fairly new to board gaming and was fully expecting to be stuck with a game which was missing pieces. I never expected to hear anything back from RGG. In fact I had plans to go and buy my own wood dowel and red paint so that I could replicate the missing pieces myself.

My reasoning for thinking this way is from past experiences (non-board game related) with purchases which were missing parts. Sometimes you never get the issue resolved (I had a similar issue with a Dell laptop PC for instance where they did not ship my complete order - the issue went on for a year unresolved - in the end I never did get the missing part and was never refunded for the cost). That's what I was expecting, but was very pleased with RGG's response to my issue.

Looking at the replies to this thread, that seems to be a common trait in the board game publishers. I've gotten quite used to being screwed over by merchants/manufacturers/retailers so it was good to see a company which treats their customers well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan, sir; I think your CD analogy doesn't work.

If you buy something that's made by the hundreds of thousands, with a defect rate well below one tenth of a percent, it's pretty natural to be upset if you find yourself with an imperfect product.

If, on the other hand, you buy something that's a one-off made by a hobbyist, you might have a different tolerance for any "imperfections" you might notice.

Rio Grande's output is somewhere between those extremes. Given the number of people involved in the Huge Multinational Business Empire that is RGG, I tend to lump them much closer to the second extreme than the first - and so, when (as was recently the case) I opened a still-in-shrink copy of Andromeda (published in 1999) and found it was missing a single red cube, I wrote politely to Jay asking if I could buy a replacement. As is his wont, he declined any payment, and shipped said replacement cube to me the same day.

If I wanted (above all other considerations) a game in which I had some expectation that the contents would be precisely uniform from copy to copy, I fear I might be stuck with Candyland and its ilk. I'd rather buy a game that has a small chance of being missing a piece or two, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Hron
United States
Pine Grove Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I love Games
badge
I like playing games
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:

Usually for me, the steaming mad comes in when I have to waste my time talking to a brick wall, get harassed at the store of purchase, or pay some ungodly shipping and handling to get the replacement "CD".

I'm a VERY forgiving person. However, the amount of necessary information needed for a replacement/return is ridiculous. A signature, from me, the manager, proof of citizenship, credit card number, home insurance policy, proof of employment, affidavits that I am not a te&&*&ist...... A simple request is made and acted on should be the norm. Instead is out of the norm, I think most people don't know how to react.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yup, Jay has a great reputation in the gaming community for being prompt and courteous and an all around good guy. I've always had excellent service when dealing with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.