The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Location exploration trigger on Drowned Ruins rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Homchuck
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
On Quest card 1B of the drowned Ruins "The Grotto" the forced effect is: "After a double sided location is explored, add the top location from the Grotto deck to the staging area."

If you use Northern Tracker, Asfaloth, or other cards to place progress tokens on locations in the staging area and fulful the Quest Points printed on the card, is the card location considered "explored" from the staging area? If so then am I correct any double sided Grotto location would have to be replaced with another from the Grotto deck.

I am finding the Drowned Ruins a real challenge to manage the locations in the staging area while I attempt to explore three underwater locations.

How are you guys finding this quest? First two runs were a bit of a slog for me and have not made it to 2A yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any time a location has progress equal to its quest points, it is considered explored and is typically placed in the encounter discard pile (but some quests will tell you to do other things with it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, any way they end up explored you'll replace them.

I've been having a lot of success with running a mono Spirit deck that focuses purely on questing and a mono Tactics deck that can handle all the fighting. I've only played this one once but I managed to get through it. I spent a few turns in the Grotto building up, and then I'd take a run at an Underwater location. Then I basically alternated Grotto and Underwater locations til I got through my three. I only have the one play but it seemed like you just really need to get massive willpower as fast as you could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Homchuck
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Josh, I take it you are playing Two handed solo? I am trying to handle it one handed solo, but I like the thought of a heavy quest deck if i can handle the few enemies that come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bodasafa wrote:
Josh, I take it you are playing Two handed solo? I am trying to handle it one handed solo, but I like the thought of a heavy quest deck if i can handle the few enemies that come up.

Yeah I pretty much always play two-handed. I wonder if a mash up of my two decks into one might be effective in this quest. Cirdan/Arwen/Beorn might make for an effective team. Since in solo you have Sahir and Naasayah (sp?) that would be a lot of powerful characters right off the start.

Beorn gives you access to Rivendell Blade, and with Light of Valinor on Cirdan he could quest for 4 and be a helpful attacker. Arwen provides some resource acceleration, and if you can get out a Hobbit box Gandalf early that would be super helpful as well. You know what, this actually is sounding like a fun solo deck so why don't I just build it? Be right back.

Ok so I built it and took it against Treachery of Rhudaur. I know it's not exactly the same as Drowned Ruins but that one isn't up on OCTGN yet and I don't have my cards handy. It is similar though in that it asks a lot of questing from you and has a decent amount of combat. It seems like it should be tough solo. This deck beat it pretty easily so it might be good against Drowned Ruins. Here it is:

Arwen/Cirdan/Beorn

Main Deck

Hero (3)
Arwen Undómiel (The Dread Realm)
Beorn (Over Hill and Under Hill)
Círdan the Shipwright (The Grey Havens)

Ally (22)
2x Bofur (The Redhorn Gate)
2x Defender of Rammas (Heirs of Númenor)
3x Ethir Swordsman (The Steward's Fear)
3x Gandalf (Over Hill and Under Hill)
3x Honour Guard (The Wastes of Eriador)
3x Knights of the Swan (The Steward's Fear)
3x Silvan Refugee (The Drúadan Forest)
3x West Road Traveller (Return to Mirkwood)

Attachment (11)
2x Ancient Mathom (A Journey to Rhosgobel)
3x Light of Valinor (Foundations of Stone)
3x Rivendell Blade (Road to Rivendell)
3x Silver Harp (The Treachery of Rhudaur)

Event (17)
3x A Test of Will (Core Set)
2x Close Call (The Dunland Trap)
3x Elrond's Counsel (The Watcher in the Water)
3x Elven-light (The Dread Realm)
3x Feint (Core Set)
3x The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core Set)

3 Heroes, 50 Cards
Cards up to The Grey Havens

Deck built on http://ringsdb.com.

Hope that's helpful in some way! Either way I had fun building it and playing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.