Sanhueza at GAME-O-GAMI
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there. One project I'm working on is a light strategy game of territorial conquest and combat. I have several themes in mind that could work well for this game, and would like to know which of these captivate you (my fellow gamers and designers.)

The visual style I have in mind is colorful and cartoonish, along the lines of Imperial Settlers and Small World. Thematically, the game will be about warfare/conquest, I just need to pick the setting/era/world/factions.

Can you help me decide which theme will grab players the most, with your vote? If you have other ideas that you'd like to share, please do!

Poll: Themes for Light Strategy Game of Conquest
Which theme(s) do you like best for this kind of game?
Historical - Ancient (Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Sun Tzu, etc...)
Historical - Roman (Roman Republic/Empire and their adversaries)
Historical - Three Kingdoms (the Chinese war epic Romance of the Three Kingdoms)
Historical - Medieval World (Richard the Lionheart, Saladin, Joan of Arc, Genghis Khan)
Historical - Medieval Japan (Sengoku Jidai)
Historical - WW2
Fantasy - Fantasy Races (Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, etc...)
Fantasy - Human-focused (like Game of Thrones)
Fantasy - Animal Races (like Red Wall)
Modern/Near-Future (like Advance Wars)
      73 answers
Poll created by gameogami

Thank you very much!

- Sanhueza
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chozo Tull
msg tools
If it is light, I like the animal race idea. Usually connotates more of a family, cute feeling. Also kinda popular these days (at least in video games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Yeah! I'm yet to see a conquest game with ANTS.
No ants in games, so sad...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:

Try Hidden Empires II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Personally I am ok with most of the themes. I would select one that you actually care for and find interesting.

I do think there are some differences though:
WW2 - To me this is more hardcore and there are a lot of games in this theme. A lot of information available but there are more "experts" that can point out your shortcomings.
Historical - If you consider an historical setting, please try to make it correct. And that might be a drawback, you will have to stick to a story, less freedom. But it might appeal to different people depending on their preferences.
Fantasy - Lots of freedom, you can invent any universe you want allowing magic, myths and other things. Drawback here is that a new universe might be hard for players to connect to. There are a lot of Hjallpps, ksldklk and other strange unpronounceable places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grimmymail wrote:
Personally I am ok with most of the themes. I would select one that you actually care for and find interesting.

WW2 - To me this is more hardcore and there are a lot of games in this theme. A lot of information available but there are more "experts" that can point out your shortcomings.
Historical - If you consider an historical setting, please try to make it correct. And that might be a drawback, you will have to stick to a story, less freedom. But it might appeal to different people depending on their preferences.
Fantasy - Lots of freedom, you can invent any universe you want allowing magic, myths and other things. Drawback here is that a new universe might be hard for players to connect to. There are a lot of Hjallpps, ksldklk and other strange unpronounceable places.

On the other hand, WW2 can still be used for light games, such as Secret Hitler. The people who would point out shortcomings might not be the target audience, while the target audience may be interested in a WW2 game that isn't meant to be taken so seriously.

Still, my top picks were Advance Wars and Redwall. Both are fairly underserved settings in my opinion. Ancient kingdoms and WWII are pretty over done, unless you are particularly inspired by them (which judging by presenting a poll I'm guessing not). Redwall may turn people off (I love Mice and Mystics but have encountered many who don't even want to try because of the theme).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanhueza at GAME-O-GAMI
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
grimmymail wrote:

Thank you everyone for your thoughts so far!

I agree with you about Fantasy as a theme - so much freedom to create a world and characters that fit the specifics of a game. The drawback, like you said, is when you create a fantasy world that is new and unique, you risk that it might not connect with a big audience and end up pretty niche. The opposite drawback is going too generic with the theme (standard fantasy elves, dwarves, orcs, etc.) and ending up looking just like one of the many MANY other generic fantasy board games and video games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Start with setting your goal with the game, what feeling do you want to accomplish? Do you have any mechanics that you really want to include?

Because if you start generic I think that you quite soon will find that the actual game play will better fit certain themes.

The more modern your theme, the more global the warfare. Fantasy/historical combat are often slow and time consuming. Having turns in week/months. Are there other support systems that you want to include, building structures and infrastructure?

Historical combat often centered around sieges, choke points. Modern warfare is more all-out dynamic.

Medieval - Sieges
Napoleon - Pitched battles, strict formations
First World War - A lot of static trench war.
Second World War - War of movement, pinches, combined arms

Well that was a mix of thoughts, hope it helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Gustafsson
Sweden
Stenungsund
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cat armies! That would be awesome! Siamese vs street cats vs Maine Coon. It wouldn't even be difficult to think of what special traits they would have.

On a serious note, I think Animal Races is a good idea for a lighter game about conquest and the theme doesn't feel overused to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanhueza at GAME-O-GAMI
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
saluk wrote:

On the other hand, WW2 can still be used for light games, such as Secret Hitler. The people who would point out shortcomings might not be the target audience, while the target audience may be interested in a WW2 game that isn't meant to be taken so seriously.

Still, my top picks were Advance Wars and Redwall. Both are fairly underserved settings in my opinion. Ancient kingdoms and WWII are pretty over done, unless you are particularly inspired by them (which judging by presenting a poll I'm guessing not). Redwall may turn people off (I love Mice and Mystics but have encountered many who don't even want to try because of the theme).

Thank you for the advice!

All of the themes I listed in the poll inspire me, and I could design the game around any of them. There are other themes that could have also fit (such as Interstellar Warfare Sci-Fi) but they just didn't speak to me (at least not for this game).

The main reason for this poll is to see what other people are drawn to, since my tastes can be a bit both eclectic and esoteric. I'm not interested in doing something generic or overdone, but I am interested in doing things that potentially have wider appeal than just my own tastes.

For instance, I'm a bit surprised that "Human-Focused Fantasy" currently has the least number of votes, since that was one of my favorite ideas for the theme. I really like history and world cultures, and I think inventing my own is really fun. Maybe it's because the given example (Game of Thrones) is more serious than the light/colorful concept I was describing for the game. Or maybe most people think that if you're going to do fantasy, you might as well go all the way with it (instead of just basically Historical Medieval with made-up kingdoms/cultures).

I'm also surprised by how popular "Animal Races Fantasy" is in the poll. But that's good, because I think I can have a lot of fun with that theme. I could potentially combine this theme with one of the other popular ones, for something even more unique in this underserved setting.
Fantasy Animal Races combined with Medieval Japan could be really fun! The playable factions could be different anthropomorphic animal species and creatures from Japanese folklore as rival samurai clans, like:

Kitsune Clan - Foxes
Tengu Clan - Crows
Kappa Clan - Turtles
Tora Clan - Tigers
Inu Clan - Dogs
Saru Clan - Monkeys
Usagi Clan - Rabbits
Koi Clan - Koi Fish
Oni Clan - Demons
Tatsu Clan - Dragons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
I'll buy that for a dollar!

That is the best idea so far. Just, will it look too much like Armello?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanhueza at GAME-O-GAMI
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
I'll buy that for a dollar!

That is the best idea so far. Just, will it look too much like Armello?

I hadn't heard of Armello before, I just looked it up. Yeah, that's the kind of concept I was thinking of for the Animal Races Fantasy theme:

and Redwall:

and Disney's Robin Hood:

An additional spin on it, like the above-mentioned Samurai theme, might help it stand out more. Though there's Ninja Turtles and Usagi Yojimbo, so even that has been done before too:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:

Happy Birthday!

March of the Ants
Myrmes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Teneslav
Romania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I personally would go with Sci-fi because you can invent what ever mechanic, unit, rule you want (still has to make sense though). It also requires less historical research on your part.

But this is just me being a sci-fi fan, maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanhueza at GAME-O-GAMI
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I'd need to figure out for a Fantasy Animal Races theme, is what to do about cavalry units?

What would they ride? Bigger, less-intelligent versions of themselves? Horses (talking or otherwise) who would be the neutral de facto mounts for all the other animal factions? Dinosaurs/reptiles? Something else?

Or maybe some other type of unit could be the substitute for cavalry's normal role: fast moving unit OR anti-archery unit. So perhaps Shield-Bearer units in place of Cavalry units for the purposes of this theme?

Any ideas? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gameogami wrote:
One thing I'd need to figure out for a Fantasy Animal Races theme, is what to do about cavalry units?

What would they ride? Bigger, less-intelligent versions of themselves? Horses (talking or otherwise) who would be the neutral de facto mounts for all the other animal factions? Dinosaurs/reptiles? Something else?

Or maybe some other type of unit could be the substitute for cavalry's normal role: fast moving unit OR anti-archery unit. So perhaps Shield-Bearer units in place of Cavalry units for the purposes of this theme?

Any ideas? Thanks!

Centaurs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha I don't think you need animals to be riding other animals. I would, instead of trying to find the animal version of armor, cavalry, whatever; just focus on what is unique about each of the animal species you chose and how that affects the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanhueza at GAME-O-GAMI
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
saluk wrote:
Haha I don't think you need animals to be riding other animals. I would, instead of trying to find the animal version of armor, cavalry, whatever; just focus on what is unique about each of the animal species you chose and how that affects the game.

Good advice. The reason I brought it up is that in the current game design, there are several unit arch-types shared among all factions. For an ancient/medieval/fantasy setting, one of those arch-types would have been cavalry - so that's why I'm looking for a solution or substitute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanhueza at GAME-O-GAMI
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been doing some brainstorming of Animal Races in a Medieval Fantasy setting:

Kembia - the Lion Kingdom
Vargar - the Wolf Kingdom
Aro - the Raptor Kingdom
Ursakha - the Bear Kingdom
Nyhm - the Rodent Kingdom
Reem - the Auroch Kingdom
Korovania - the Vampire (bat) Kingdom

and more... feel free to make suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.