Subject: Human enemies vs Monster enemies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Tremblay
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
With the inclusion of human Bandit/scafford enemies sometimes having Bandits spawn beside monsters and join forces to kill you is a bit strange (unless you can theme it accordingly, somehow ie. void puppets)

I have tried to figure out a good way to have a monster on monster type of combat, but the system is really designed for character stats and monster stats to combat.

One method I tried was to just add the base damage against defence but Bandits going up against a monster with higher defence than 2 means that they may never break through defence to do damage.
Another method I tried was to just add together the damage at the end as so that the damage from all attacks is applied at once, giving them a chance at hurting the enemy.

To add variation when getting a bandit I roll a d6, 1-3 they are with the monsters for whatever reason, 4-6 they are on their own independent of the monsters (in the same boat you are).
When they spawn like this I spawn the humans from a different side of the map tile if possible.

One other challenge is how to balance this so that it isn't too easy?
I guess they would also choose targets randomly if more than one monster type. There is quite a bit to take into consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Allen
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how about every monster a human enemy kills or vice versa they gain an elite ability? Therefore the enemy will be stronger if you are not quick?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it might be hard to come up with a set of universal rules. I usually favor thematic reasoning so would likely do like you did and have them come in from different areas if possible.

But also thinking that the human enemies would be "low down dastardly cowardly scoundrels", I'd have them take unfair advantage of the situation somehow. Like having them wait until the "monsters" attack and engage the posse so that they can make attacks of opportunity from range. Or sneak around you. Or maybe you could allow the humans to attack in ambush if they come after the beasts even if it wasnt technically an ambush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Would really like to see people elaborate on this.
It's true that having human enemies always fighting you among the monsters is really not thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe we can come up with some guidelines for mixed-enemy fights. Here's a stab at it.

The "ai" for monsters in mixed company can be simplified to:
• Monsters do not discriminate between humans (posse or enemy) and determine human targets randomly (unless otherwise noted on their reference cards)

The "ai" for humans should try to account for motivations of greed and self preservation over random brutality, pitting the posse and monsters against each other in an effort to ensure their own survival.
• Human enemies retaliate if attacked (wounded), automatically targeting their attacker in preference to other targets
• Human enemies attempt to select targets to maintain a balance between the number of monsters vs the number of posse members.
• If no targets of opportunity present themselves, then target randomly.

Hmmm... it's really kinda hard trying to come up with a general guide for the humans for this sort of thing. Will have to set up some mixed-company fights to try some stuff out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Targanth Phelandir
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you consider the Trederans as Humans or Monsters for purposes of this discussion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally I'd say yes human (3 eyed... but still human in behavior and motivations).

Heck, there's even a Trederran hero class in the Forbidden Fortress. So them as enemies, might be a little more intelligent/manipulative in their dealings with the posse.

I think in a lot of cases it would would need some DM style judgement calls depending on the situation.

I usually take the role as DM when I play with my sons or do solo sessions... I try to take on the role of the enemy and have them act accordingly, not leaving everything up to completely random chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.