Subject: Light source - Ignore Darkness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume this includes a mythos event that effects a player in a space with a darkness token?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the consensus was that if it says "In darkness" you ignore it if you have a light source, but if it said "on a space with darkness" you have to resolve it, because the light source doesn't change the fact that there is a darkness token on that space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doma0997 wrote:
I believe the consensus was that if it says "In darkness" you ignore it if you have a light source, but if it said "on a space with darkness" you have to resolve it, because the light source doesn't change the fact that there is a darkness token on that space.

I actually don't think this is correct. A light source allows you to "ignore darkness". I cannot see any reason why this wouldn't apply during the mythos phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
I actually don't think this is correct. A light source allows you to "ignore darkness". I cannot see any reason why this wouldn't apply during the mythos phase.

I think what he is saying is that:

"This event affects all Investigators in Darkness,"

could be ignored, while:

"This event affects all Investigators in a space with a Darkness token,"

could not be ignored.

You can ignore Darkness, but you cannot ignore the token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:

I think what he is saying is that:

"This event affects all Investigators in Darkness,"

could be ignored, while:

"This event affects all Investigators in a space with a Darkness token,"

could not be ignored.

You can ignore Darkness, but you cannot ignore the token.

I get what is being said, I merely disagree with the interpretation that these phrases indicate something different from each other.

The rules do not differentiate between "darkness" and "darkness token" in a way that indicates those phrases should be treated differently. The rules state that a light source allows you to ignore the effects of a "darkness token", I still do not see a compelling description of why this would be different in the mythos phase with the phrasing indicated above. "In darkness" and "with a darkness token" are synonymous states as far as I can see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In support of my argument, from the 1st Edition MoM wiki:

"Darkness Tokens:

An investigator receives –2 to all attribute tests during combat while he is in the room. Note that this penalty is in addition to all other penalties (such as from being stunned).

Some Exploration cards (such as the “Lantern”) allow investigators to ignore these effects. When ignoring these effects, an investigator also cannot be targeted by cards that require them to be in a room with a darkness token."

I know there have been some changes to 2nd edition, but I believe that this use of darkness remains the same between editions. It does not make sense with the rules as written, or thematically, to ignore the darkness in one of the above cases but not the other.

tl;dr - Assuming no changes from 1st edition Darkness rules, light sources negate both "in darkness" and "in a space with a darkness token" effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules wise, unless something tells me differently, I'm just differentiating the two. The times I recall it mentioning the token itself are the same turns it places that token, so thematically, spooky or violent thing happens as the lights go out, as you are not going to be walking around a perfectly lit room with your candles or lantern lit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.