Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a thought the other day about Skirmish Scenarios designed as static scenarios instead of using the normal construction rules.

The idea is that Skirmish scenarios could be created with a nod to "historical" battles, or even "what if" battles. So instead of each player constructing a side, the scenario is completely self contained, map, objectives, figures and command cards. Each player takes a side and you play by the normal skirmish rules.

Here are a couple of reasons why I like this idea and would like to hear other's opinions. (Do I really? Hmmm... Sure. )

1. It allows players who don't have the time or inclination to create Skirmish teams to play interesting Skirmish scenarios.
2. It allows players to create these scenarios. Creating a balanced scenario would be challenging and rewarding.
3. Because we aren't looking for "best team ever" the scenarios can be created with figures that don't normally see skirmish action, yet can be used in a balanced and fun scenario.
4. (This is a personal one) Scenarios would have more theme instead of having a Vader vs Vader game.
5. Allow assymetrical victory conditions for skirmish games, allowing a lot more imagination in how a skirmish scenario uses special rules, etc.

One downside is that it would require a LOT of work to create a scenario that is both balanced and fun.

This idea came to me as I am playing ASL and SW:IA right now. And I was thinking how cool it would be to play different scenarios that just weren't the same uber-teams against each other over and over again. (Everybody loves an ASL scenario between Russian conscripts and Italians, right? Ok, not everybody, but there those of us...)

Honestly, I'd pay money for these scenarios. FFG could package scenarios like this with the miniature packs.

I am not a SW:IA expert and don't feel like I have the expertise to create balanced scenarios. But maybe, just maybe I should start the revolution and at least put something like this up for review.

Yeah, that's what I'll do. I'll make one and then allow you, the SW:IA community decide if it warrants any further effort.

Thanks for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gideon Stargrave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1. It would be nice to something official.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Olson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a cool idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cleland
Canada
Carlisle
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vance
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is a very cool idea. However, as you noted, creating a balanced asymmetric scenario is difficult. I think it'd be even more difficult than just making new balanced fan units.

Maybe you could start out by just making some balanced pre-built lists that you could play on an existing skirmish map. Then you could tweak the victory conditions. That way you're working though the design it one piece at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some time this weekend to throw together a rough draft.

First, it is interesting to think of the different types of scenarios or "themes".

After quickly glancing through the various scenarios, I ended up picking "Most Dangerous Game" on the "Ord Marnett Junkyard" map.

I picked a "Smuggler" side and a "Hunter" side. The smugglers are led by Han Solo and some other smugglers (not Lando). The hungers are lead by IG-88 and Bosk. Some of the details are fuzzy as I didn't get a chance to play through the scenario yet to check for outlying weird things. I also picked Command Card decks for each side according to the rules and tried for a more "themed" set of cards over the right cards. (But they seemed pretty good.)

So, with all that being said I started looking at the scenario...

If both sides do nothing, neither side loses. That's weird to me. Where's the motivation? One side should be motivated to do something.

The Smugglers have the "Smuggler's Run" Skirmish deployment card. I am thinking of ways to use this card to create a reason for the Smugglers to act.

Some ideas:
* The end of round trigger works differently until either the card is played or the group it is attached to is defeated. Something like the Smugglers only receive 1VP until the Group with this card uses it or is defeated.
* Rules stay the same, but when the Smugglers use the Smuggler's Run card, if they now have more VP, they automatically win.

Both of these ideas are geared toward the idea that the Smugglers need to make something happen in order to win.

Other ideas I had...

Adjust the sides by lowering the Deployment Card value totals for the Hunters, so they are less powerful, perhaps even take away some of their command cards. The Hunters play to less points (so they will win if nobody does anything).

Also I think it might be fun to allow the Smugglers to secretly attach the Smuggler's Run card. They would have to reveal it if the group is defeated.

So...

That's my first pre-rough-draft idea to make a "themed" scenario.

Before anyone goes crazy, it is definitely not the best, and it is not intended to be the best. It is intended to show some of the ideas and how they might work to create these scenarios. You feedback so far has been awesome and encouraging and I really appreciate it.

A further idea...

I know that there are game components focused on the campaign, Hero upgrades, Imperial tactics, etc. But that doesn't mean we can't use them in these nifty "themed" scenarios. Why not give the rebels a card from the campaign game components? Give a Rebel character an upgrade or even an "item". Rules for there use would have to go with the scenario, but it might be a fun way to "balance" the fight in asymmetrical situations. And it would give the casual skirmish player a reason to pull out these components and enjoy them.

I wish I had more details, an after action report or something to share. But I hadn't said anything in a while and wanted to give the thread a bump (to those that have subscribed, if anyone).

This week I'll play through the scenario a couple of times and come up with a "final-first-draft" with complete deployment card lists, command card decks and all special rules.

Stay tuned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here's my first crack at a themed skirmish mission...

Map: Ord Mantell Junkyard
Scenario: "B" Most Dangerous Game
Use all rules as prescribed in the scenario with any exceptions noted in the Special Rules below.

Special Rules:
1. End of Each Round: The Rebels only receive 1VP instead of 2VP.
2. The Rebels assign the Attachment "Smuggler's Run" secretly. They reveal the attachment when they take the special action the card or at the end of the game.
3. Rebels set up in the Red start zone.

Rebels

Deployment Cards
*Han Solo
Elite Rebel Saboteur
*Lando Calrissian
*Jyb Odan
Elite Alliance Smuggler
*Mak Eshka'rey
*Smuggler's Run

Command Cards
Against the Odds
Black Maret Prices
Cheat to Win
One in a Million
Dirty Trick
Disable
Element of Surprise
Fleet Footed
I Make My Own Luck
Slippery Target x2
Smuggled Supplies
Take Cover
Take Initiative
To the Limit

Mercenaries

Deployment Cards
*IG-88
*Bossk
HK Assasin Droid
Trandoshan Hunter
Hired Gun
*Explosive Armaments

Command Cards
Blaze of Glory
Capture the Weary
Celebration
Cripple
Element of Surprise
Expose Weakness
Hunter Protocol
Jump Jets
Merciless
Of No Importance
Overdrive
Price on Their Heads
Primary Target
Set a Trap
Trandoshan Terror

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some thoughts...

One goal is to give each side a decision to make regarding the "Hunter" designation.

The Rebels have an interesting decision to make regarding the "Smuggler's Run" card.

And lastly, the Rebels need to initiate combat, but the Mercenaries can't sit back and let the Saboteurs Blast them to pieces.

The Command Cards are simply cards that go with the Deployment Groups as well as a few others that seemed to be fun.

The Rebels do go first (having the lower Deployment cost), and therefore can get someone (like Jyn Odan) into the Mercenary's setup area on turn 2. If Jyn goes last in turn 2 and first in turn 3, she can get in, activate the card and get out without exposing herself to a mob.

The only alteration I am thinking of making is adding to special rule #1 that when the "Smuggler's Run" card is activated, the Rebels resume scoring 2VP at the end of the turn. In fact I played a couple of games this way.

Is this balanced? I honestly have no idea.

Is it fun? I think so. It's like the Hunters have 2 separate groups, the droids and the Trandoshans. The Rebels have a mix of Smugglers and the Saboteurs to provide some punch.

I feel that this scenario fulfills my goal of a "themed scenario".

If you do play it I'd love to hear some feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROBERT Laurent
France
flag msg tools
This is a very good idea !
Yesterday evening at my club, I talked about a such game concept to avoid my present frustration!
In fact, how is it that we are not able to play to saga episods with a such powerful games! Moreover, I would like to play a group with luke, han, chewbakka & Leia, ...etc at the same time !
I'm going to work on your concept and come back to you with my ideas!
Thank you for your post !

An other idea, i would like to develop is maybe to mix both x-wings & Imperial assault games with interactions with the both games!
Imagine your rebel assault team lead by Han in the millenium condor that should land on an asteroid to steal secret data in an imperial secret base. A small group of x-wings is with you too to protect your attack. But a group of Tie fighters attack the Han's vessel because detected. First millenium condor should land to let the small troops, enter the base, and find the secret plans. Imperial reinforcement may arrive at anytime! X-wings try to protect the millenium condor while the troopers are on ground. Besides, some action in space or on ground may interact with the adventure. For exemple, an x-wings shot may destroy a part of the base. Rebel troopers may use a captured imperial laser turrel to try to shoot Tie fighters... and so on!
But maybe an other post exists on this subject or should be created ? :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only bad thing about your idea to mix X-Wing with this is...

I have on purpose stayed away from X-Wing because my wallet is on fire from staying up with the SW:IA.

cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 2:

Map: Bespin Tibanna Facility
Scenario A: Man in Carbonite
Use all rules as described in the scenario with any exceptions noted in the Special Rules below.

Special Rules:
1. Imperial chooses Red or Blue setup area and sets up.
2. Rebel figures set up adjacent to the Carbon-Freezing Chamber
3. Whichever side Controls the Carbon-Freezing Chamber at the end of a turn gains 1VP

Rebels

Deployment Cards
*Chewbacca
*Han Solo
*Luke Skywalker
*Leia Organa

Command Cards
Against the Odds
Brace Yourself
Debts Repaid
Heart of Freedom
I Make My Own Luck
Rally
Recovery
Roar
Single Purpose
Son of Skywalker
Take Cover
Telekinetic Throw
There is Another
To the Limit
Wild Fury

Imperials

Deployment Cards
*Kayn Somos
Heavy Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper x3
Elite Imperial Officer
*Advanced Com Systems

Command Cards
Celebration
Change of Plans
Covering Fire
Cruel Strike
Efficient Travel
Expose Weakness
Fleet Footed
Grenedier
Planning
Rally the Troops
Rank and File
Recovery
Self Defense
Squad Swarm
Strength in Numbers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoughts about scenario 2...

This one was inevitable. Who doesn't want to wade through stormtroopers and knock them off like bowling pins? In fact, I'd say you could take the deployment groups and command cards and throw them at a few different scenarios for fun.

What I like about this particular scenario is that the Rebels do have some fun things they can do. However, I'm not sure they are going to be able to stand toe to toe with that many figures, especially if those figures are coming at them repeatedly. Change of Plans, Squad Storm and Strength in Numbers can really crank out the pain.

I do not feel that I have the balance quite right yet. Some suggestions are to exchange a Stormtrooper for an Elite Stormtrooper. Or if you think the Imperial needs more help, add an Elite Stormtrooper. Or you could downgrade the Imperial Officer. Or you could even add in Old Ben and add the Elite Stormtrooper... or any combination of the above.

I feel that even though the Imperial player is going to be removing a lot of figures, he has some fun strategies to employ. And the Rebel player gets to play with the core group.

For the Rebels to win, they need to eliminate everything. The Imperials can pick off a Rebel and drag him into the Carbon-Freezing Chamber and sit there and collect Control VP for the win. So initially the Imperials need to chase out the Rebels, then the Rebels need to counterattack.

Let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
These sound incredibly tough to make, but I love the idea. I might have to take a crack at trying one of yours out, and maybe even trying to design one myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.