Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently started getting in to C&CN after many years of Memoir and Westeros. For complex reasons I've ended up with two core sets and one Spanish expansion....question is, is there any reason to need more than one Core Set?

In Memoir you need two sets to play Breakthroughs etc, is there anything similar in Napoleonics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
If I'm not mistaken, the LGB scenarios in Epic Napoleonics need two core sets + expansions (but not twice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
Recently started getting in to C&CN after many years of Memoir and Westeros. For complex reasons I've ended up with two core sets and one Spanish expansion....question is, is there any reason to need more than one Core Set?

In Memoir you need two sets to play Breakthroughs etc, is there anything similar in Napoleonics?

I wouldn't think there's any reason. There are a bunch of additional French blocks and units in every expansion. C&CN Epic will be out later this year and looks to be self-contained. From the GMT website:

Included in this expansion are six standard sized scenarios that focus on key phases of the battle of Austerlitz, 2 December 1805. This expansion also features 12 EPIC sized engagements and two La Grande Battle scenarios. Also included are two double-sided mounted maps. The EPIC sided battlefield is larger, and at 11 hexes deep by 20 hexes wide, it is almost double the size of the standard size battlefield of 9 hexes deep by 13 hexes wide. When laid side-by-side to form the La Grande battlefield, the battle area is a whopping 11 hexes deep by 26 hexes wide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so I'm prepared.... whistle

I doubled up on everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
Just so I'm prepared.... whistle

I doubled up on everything.

Same here. But if all the posted scenarios are correct (and I have no reason to suspect that they aren't) and if you have every expansion to date, then you'll be fine with one of everything to play all the scenarios in Expansion 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except for the Spanish expansion, I have 2 copies of everything including Commands & Colors: Napoleonics Expansion #5 – Generals, Marshals, Tacticians. There are a few scenarios (typically labeled "French right/French left") which can be combined into a single large game. Without resorting to epic rules, they can be easily played with 4 players and 2 card decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
... There are a few scenarios (typically labeled "French right/French left") which can be combined into a single large game. Without resorting to epic rules, they can be easily played with 4 players and 2 card decks.

YESSS! Exactly like us! We play sometime live 2vs2 ... never more ... AND with our own ULTRA SIMPLE rules: 1 hand and 3 sections per player!

The 6th edition will be the very first time we will leave the official rules as we did with the Epic CCA some years ago to play all the Epic battles 2vs2 our way for great fun!

GG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies and… Read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also a double-barreled C&C player. Samurai Battles is the only one I'm short on, though I've bought enough unit packs to make up the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also doubled up for redundancy... If I ever lose a set of cards or a tile it won't be catastrophic... After I'm done having a hissy-fit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have one of each except the Spanish set, which hopefully arrives soon. And, just getting into the game as well, after it's sat on my shelf for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always buy 2 sets of the core games if possible.-I can't stop myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clay stretch
United States
louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have two, I use one core set to travel with, and one belongs in the "pimp" collection. But- no you don't need two core sets. You get way more French than you ever need with every expansion. Each expansion gives you French troops for that expansion. (Only) example, the Austrian set you get the lions share of French cuirassier regiments. You get more I believe in another but you don't need them. Number 5 expansion gives you more British and a few Portugese, so there are you extra Pennisula regiments. And in the epic there are more Russians, British, Prussians and a lot more Austrians. Now, I need to get me a travel set of Ancient Punic War so I don't use the good one in the cabinet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Righty-o. Epic is out now, lessening the need for two core. A ton of blocks and stickers come with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.