Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Locke
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my Youtube Channel: FatNastyNerd Runthroughs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

I am a fan of the original pencil and paper D&D style but I have seen some board games around. I actually have never finished a campaign for D&D and I thought it might be easier to actually finish the board game version but I'm not sure if any of them are good.

Are they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played any of the D&D games. I owuld like to though. I will tell you what I have heard more than once about the D&D boardgames. Go into them expecting a D&D light experience. There is a DM and players but, RP is reduced quite a bit in favor of G.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the video reviews in the specific game forums to get an idea of how they play.

They are skirmish-type games, with no role playing at all.

So, whether they are "good" or not will depend on what you are looking for. For me, they are certainly no replacement for PnP D&D, but they are fun for a few hour dungeon crawl with a D&D theme.

Quote:
There is a DM

The monsters move on the player's turn and the AI is written on the monster cards, so there is no DM.

They are purely cooperative against the game, with all players on the same team. They aren't 1 vs. many, like Descent with an Overlord.

All the humans play together against the game. (Aside from some twists in individual scenarios or variants, which can alter this dynamic a bit.)

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viper .
msg tools
They are good. Relatively simple for dungeon crawlers, but good. They have a lot of nice miniatures for a very good price. They are more of beer & pretzel type games. If you want a much more deep complicated dungeon crawler with phenomenal minis and components then get Myth with expansions. That being said, there are tons of AWESOME dungeon crawlers out there right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are games like the Castle Ravenloft series and of course Descent, to give but two esxamples.

But will we ever see a board game that manages to create a more RP experience? Maybe the reason why we haven't is because that would be hard to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Locke
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my Youtube Channel: FatNastyNerd Runthroughs!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good question! I know a lot of people who would like a more role playing experience instead of having to force role playing. There are games out there that when role playing, it makes the game more fun like Pathfinder.

I feel like legacy games do a good job with role playing or even T.I.M.E Stories does a fantastic job but there aren't a whole lot of games like T.I.M.E Stories but I feel there will be soon.

PnP D&D is the best role playing experience but it's such a time commitment that it makes it difficult. I've played multiple version of D&D and started multiple campaign and have never finished one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sir benji
Canada
flag msg tools
Viper5121 wrote:
They are good. Relatively simple for dungeon crawlers, but good. They have a lot of nice miniatures for a very good price. They are more of beer & pretzel type games. If you want a much more deep complicated dungeon crawler with phenomenal minis and components then get Myth with expansions. That being said, there are tons of AWESOME dungeon crawlers out there right now.

Those are just one type... D&D attack wing is a 1v1 skirmish with prepared minis that is a lot of fun, and D&D dice masters is sort of like a deckbuilder, with dicd. There is also lords of waterdeep, a fantastic worker placement game that admittedly doesn't feel much like d&d, and the new tyrants of the underdark area control game. I prefer any of these to the co-op dungeon crawlers, which are just random dice rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you liked D&D because of the tactical combat and dungeon crawl, the D&D board games will work for you. If you liked D&D because of the story and role playing, and the setting is not as important, I would try T.I.M.E Stories or Mansions of Madness: Second Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting thread. I seriously considered the Castle Ravenloft series, and though I may yet pull the trigger on this series, I am still undecided. It seems limited to heroes v monsters fight'n'flight in a dungeon.

I have the Descent series and it is highly enjoyable. It goes beyond what is offered in the WotC D&D series but still falls short, imo, of a true rpg-like story telling experience.

Given that the core of D&D is well-established over many years, I can only conclude that any board game based on this would be far too unwieldy if it attempted to embrace the wider scope of any such system.

That's not to say it would be impossible. but would it take some great deal of ingenuity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Ravenloft and liked it so much i got the other three!

Drizzt is the best one tho in my opinion. They kinda get repetetive after a bit but you can mix and mash between the games. (we played though all of them with their respective cards/characters/monsters before starting to mix).

It's a fun game to go hack & slash for a bit in between your heavier more serious games. Highly recommended.

ps. there's some really huge monster miniatures too... worth it for that alone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) will be MUCH closer to what you are looking for. Maybe sometime next year Middara will be closer yet, or Gloomhaven, but for now it is Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:

But will we ever see a board game that manages to create a more RP experience? Maybe the reason why we haven't is because that would be hard to do?

I've never played an RPG but from what I understand there's many games that attempt (sort of) to do this in one way or another:

Kingdom Death
Shadows of Brimstone
Arkham Horror
...others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whavoc wrote:

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) will be MUCH closer to what you are looking for. Maybe sometime next year Middara will be closer yet, or Gloomhaven, but for now it is Descent.

I'd love to try Descent sometime but i prefer games without GM or an app to play it.

I was deciding between Descent or Arcadia Quest and chose the latter, don't regret it! But Descent seems to good to ignore... i'll get around to it someday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on what about regular D&D you like. If you like combat all day and a thin one paragraph story justifying why you just wander around aimlessly in a dungeon/cave slaughtering everything you see while a random onslaught of traps and bad things happen to you upon entering every single room than the D&D board games would be for you. If you like regular D&D for anything else than these games are not going to be for you.

I own three of them and like to play them, but they are not D&D. They are glorified attrition mitigation/race games with a D&D theme pasted on. Much like the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game has nothing related to how the Pathfinder RPG plays. It's a good game, but is really not in the same vein as it's themed namesake would imply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
The monsters move on the player's turn and the AI is written on the monster cards, so there is no DM.

They are purely cooperative against the game, with all players on the same team. They aren't 1 vs. many, like Descent with an Overlord.

All the humans play together against the game. (Aside from some twists in individual scenarios or variants, which can alter this dynamic a bit.)

Dungeons & Dragons: The Fantasy Adventure Board Game has a GM, HeroQuest style, who knows the map and where the traps are and controls the monsters. The newer ones don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:

Seems like something where an app could work pretty well. There's really nothing preventing you getting to an RP experience on par with video game RPGs. They're never going to as open as a DM, but an app can encapsulate complex systems to make it a quicker board game experience.

For a more RP experience and story-driven game, does Tales of the Arabian Nights scratch that itch? I think you only have around 8 choices for an encounter and it's a bit more "choose your own adventure" in that regard. But, they're RP decisions rather than simply dead end paths, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That did jog my memory on this top 10 games role players might like-- because Tales is on it.

http://www.dicetower.com/top-tens-results/games-role-player

Nevertheless, I'd vote no on Tales. I've enjoyed playing the game, but it's much more like a choose your own adventure thing than anything I've encountered in an actual rpg.

Not an answer to the question, but maybe try to see if you can find a local chapter of the Pathfinder Society for short D&D-esque sessions.

The only D&D-branded board game I've been able to play is Lords of Waterdeep which is absolutely not the what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've never played an RPG but from what I understand there's many games that attempt (sort of) to do this in one way or another:

And they all are a pale imitation of a good rpg with a good DM.

I love Arkham but it is not a rpg experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HeroQuest maybe? Never played it, though, so I can't say for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
To take it in a completely different direction for a moment I would recommend giving Roll Player as try as well. It is a dice manipulation game based on character creation. I've only played it a couple of time solo so far but I thought it was enjoyable, and there's more decisions to be made than you might think at first. Not sure how it is going to play w/ multiple people yet though. There's some interaction in how things are done, but I'm afraid it might be a little bit of multiplayer solitaire in the end.

Anyway... back to the dungeon crawling BTW my recommendation there would be Gloomhaven or if you want a complete sandbox/RPG in a box type game you could try diving into Myth. It started out w/ a very bad reputation but it is getting better/more manageable. Be prepared for an old school RPG experience though in the sense of running into situations that the rules don't quite cover so you have to make some house calls and decided what to do...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivanatom the Humble
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mb
I am second on Myth.

Heroes in game plays differently. Each with unique mechanics. Battles are amazing. What it lucks - streamlined Campaign and way more text/story to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FantasyNerd8 wrote:
Hey,

I am a fan of the original pencil and paper D&D style but I have seen some board games around. I actually have never finished a campaign for D&D and I thought it might be easier to actually finish the board game version but I'm not sure if any of them are good.

Are they?

IIRC, I've played 3 of them...

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game --- CHECK
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game --- probably.. If Drizzt is that vampire person thing, then check
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game --- I recall seeing a BIG-ASS dragon mini in the box as I played a D&D BG game, so CHECK

They're expensive at $65 apiece, but FWIW, they come with many minis (even if unpainted), and I'd imagine that even though playing the real deal would be more fulfilling... the costs of the minis, boards, books, and other reference material can't be cheap.

With Ravenloft, my records show it took 15 minutes to teach, and 1hr 10 minutes to 1.5 hours per game. However, this was b/c we had someone in the group who already knew the rules. For new folks and/or slower people, let's say... allocate 2 to 2.5 hours. Still, this is far quicker than even some of the 1-shot RPGs from what I hear, and makes this more of a "fully co-op" board game than anything else. So it has a playtime on the shorter time, but still retains the theme, and some of the elements from the D&D world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.