Carcassonne» Forums » General

Subject: Punching out cardboard components rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Man, I starting to hate those punch out boards more and more. It's not the fact that I have to punch out those tiles that bugs me, but the occasionally poor "pre-cutting" of these components. Sometimes when I punch out a tile from a game, the bottom layer of the cardboard shreds aside of the line a componont has to come loose with. As long as it shreds outwards, I'll just need some work to get the extra piece on a tile off. But when it shreds inwards, the tile itself is damaged. This happened to me several times whem I bought a game and now, when I purchased the new Dutch version of Carcasonne, it happened again. I don't like games to get dameged this way before I even had the chance to play them. There must be a way to solve this problem when producing games in the future. If it was Fantasy Flight Games that produced it, then I could at least ask for a replacement. But in this case it's 999 Games.

Isn't there a way to prevent "mispunching" components due to poor "pre-cutting"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne tiles aren't usually held in place very well after punching. If they dont come out easily I usually score my fingernail against the stuck edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use a hobby knife or something like that - run it through the cut line to make sure nothing's still sticking together. Or you could just get expansion #2, Traders and Builders - it comes with a bag for the tiles, so identifiable tiles don't matter anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Frenzy (Split Enz, 1979)
mbmbmbmbmb
I always punch out my components by pressing on the obverse (top) side, the side which has been punched. This seems to reduce those problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plastic sprues are worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indenture Forlife
msg tools
What surprises me is that people are in a hurry to punch out the components of a game. You have one chance to get it right and a lifetime to play with your mistake so why not do it slowly and correctly the first time.

DON'T PUSH FROM ONE SIDE!

Grab the entire piece from the front and the back and wiggle it back and forth so you can feel where it has separated. Take your time!

Once again.... do not push from one side. Grab the entire piece with thumb on one side and index finger on the other and slowly work the piece out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John de Wit
Canada
Airdrie
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indenture wrote:
You have one chance to get it right and a lifetime to play with your mistake so why not do it slowly and correctly the first time.

But I need to play. RIGHT. FREAKING. NOW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Indenture wrote:

Once again.... do not push from one side. Grab the entire piece with thumb on one side and index finger on the other and slowly work the piece out.

Says the person who has probably not "punched" a 3600 counter game

With some games, you just wont live long enough to punch them slowly and carefully!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Yeah, I could get the expansion with the bag. But that's just it, because now I'll have to get it. It's a mandatory choice now, and that's not how it should work necessarily, if you'd ask me.

Oh well, I might get it anyway. But I've seen things like this so often in board games that I'm getting frustrated with the idea I still have to punch them out with that risk of damaging components in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Frenzy (Split Enz, 1979)
mbmbmbmbmb
It is certainly true that some games are not punched as well as others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conner Morlang
United States
Santa Monica / Westwood
California
flag msg tools
Go outside and play (games)!
badge
Me 10 years ago. Should I update?
mbmbmbmbmb
William,

You are correct: Carcassonne has the worst punching of any game I have seen. I take things slow, and I still damaged a tile so bad it felt different in the bag.

I took a picture and contacted Z-Man. They sent a replacement tile right away.

I now have a craft knife for whenever Expansion 3+ comes out. I'll use that when punching Carcassonne from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
To be more precise the piece that is damaged actually comes from expansion 3, which I bought together with the base game. There are two pieces with only a left-turning road on it and a dragon symbol. One of the turns shown is a little smaller than the other. It's the one with the smaller left turn in the road that is damaged.

I don't have the tools to send pictures. Furthermore, I don't know if it would make any difference to ask for replacements at Z-Man Games, because this version was published by 999 Games. I'm not sure if the sizes of the tiles would match then.

There were more tiles from the same set with which I had some trouble punching out, but fortunately the bottom layer was shredding outwards in those cases, so I could correct those with some scissors.

Sometimes it makes a difference for components from which publisher they came from. For example, the cards from the Dutch White Goblin Games version of Machi Koro have a white edge around the pictures, which the English version doesn't have. Asking for replacements, if needed, would be no use.

Besides, I don't believe many Dutch publishers have such a replacement policy as there is for the American game lines such as those from Fantasy Flight Games or Z-Man Games. I guess they think the gaming community here isn't big enough for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
With something like Carcassonne tiles it is more likely, albeit not guaranteed, that all the tiles were published at the same time and are the same due to language independence as compared to cards which have text on them which can be printed separately by different editions especially if they are not printed at the same time (e.g. back when Dominion was new, it was all published at the same place, but is not now).

Or, the short answer, it can't hurt to ask 999 Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haupert
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could just get a drawbag from another source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.