Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Thunderstone Advance: Numenera because it was actually the easiest and cheapest to get at the moment.

I like it, but the variety of cards isn't very high, IMO. But all the other expansions are pretty expensive, being out of print.

If I can find it at a decent price, would it be worth trying to get the starter set just to add a little variety to what I have now? Or should I just focus on trying to find one of the other expansions at a decent price or trade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A year ago after it went out of print, Into the Abyss was available for a reasonable price, that is the one I would get (even tho it technically expands WC).

I think the starter set will feel too limiting, and unless you get it for so cheap, it is CHEAP, it won't be worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything you find will do well to add to the game even the starter set. The starter set was by far the smallest set released so don't pay an arm or leg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny you should mention Into the Abyss... I found one at my FLGS today - the last one they had, still normal retail price!

I just added the cards to my Numenera box, almost filling it up, so I'm feeling happy now!

I am a little disappointed that it didn't include 4th level heroes for Numenera or any diseases, even though it has cards that refer to them. But I'll probably just count Iron Wind as a disease if those cards come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm, Iron Winds are Disease, says so on the card (Disease Nanite under Iron Wind). Unless you meant Curses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, you're right! I didn't actually go back and look at them, I was thinking they are curses. Nevermind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As jooice mentioned, Into the Abyss was an expansion to Worlds Collide, not Numenera. Worlds Collide and Numenena were different base sets with Towers of Ruin and the Starter also being base sets.

For the most part all of the base sets and their expansions intergrate pretty seemlessly with the exception, in my opinion, of the Diseases. There are three different types of Diseases across all the TSA sets -- but they are all Diseases.

So where you have Into the Abyss, those cards use just plain, vanilla diseases. These are available in the base set Worlds Collide and the Starter set. If you can't get your hands on those, or don't care to, you could always just house rule that any reference to a disease means an Iron Wind -- it is a Disease, after all, it's just not named "Disease."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
rogue148 wrote:
If you can't get your hands on those, or don't care to, you could always just house rule that any reference to a disease means an Iron Wind -- it is a Disease, after all, it's just not named "Disease."

No house rule necessary. As Rauli pointed out, Iron Wind have the Disease keyword. 'Disease' always refers to the keyword, not to the name of the card, and so isn't limited to those cards who also happened to be named 'Disease'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.