$5.00
David A. Xavier
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I just played this for the first time, and have a question about the double scoring for scrolls in completed areas. I have searched the rules forum, and my apologies if this has been answered, but I couldn't find a thread that answered my question directly.

I got the scroll that gave me one point for every two ships in my territory, and had 5 at the end of the game. With regular scoring, that would earn me 2VPs, as the extra 0.5VP that the odd ship would be worth would be discounted.

However, I enclosed the lake containing the scroll, so the points were doubled. Does that double the full 2.5VP to 5, so I get points for every ship? Otherwise, is the scroll's value calculated as 2VP, which is then doubled to 4?

Thanks!

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
perfectimperfection wrote:
Hi there,

I just played this for the first time, and have a question about the double scoring for scrolls in completed areas. I have searched the rules forum, and my apologies if this has been answered, but I couldn't find a thread that answered my question directly.

I got the scroll that gave me one point for every two ships in my territory, and had 5 at the end of the game. With regular scoring, that would earn me 2VPs, as the extra 0.5VP that the odd ship would be worth would be discounted.

However, I enclosed the lake containing the scroll, so the points were doubled. Does that double the full 2.5VP to 5, so I get points for every ship? Otherwise, is the scroll's value calculated as 2VP, which is then doubled to 4?

Thanks!

David

Think of this way: Score the tile as written, then do it again. So the extra 1-ship-out-of-2-needed is irrelevant. 4 points in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the OP's attempt to wring out an extra point at the end of the game. Kinda sleezy, but valiant nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
perfectimperfection wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks!

David

You get 1 points every 2 ships. Not 0.5 per ship.

Enclosing the scroll make it 2 points every 2 ships, not 1 point per ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A. Xavier
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
You get 1 points every 2 ships. Not 0.5 per ship.

Enclosing the scroll make it 2 points every 2 ships, not 1 point per ship.

Except the rules specifically state that if you have an odd number of ships, you do not get the extra 0.5VPs, which is why it became unclear - that language singles out the possibility of single ships. There would be no half-points after doubling, hence the uncertainty.

Thank you for the help, everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A. Xavier
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I like the OP's attempt to wring out an extra point at the end of the game. Kinda sleezy, but valiant nonetheless.

Haha! More professional curiosity than anything else - it would have made no difference to who won the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.