Hide
16 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Another attempt to paint WOTR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Marsh
msg tools
I have had this game since it first came out back in 2004 and have played it only occasionally due to a lack of players. I now have a regular opponent and having seen the result of other people’s painting efforts I thought I would have a go as well. I upgraded to the second edition a couple of years ago but kept the original figures as I especially like the first edition Nazgul.
I have painted miniatures before with enamels but plastics require acrylics so a new departure for me. Following advice on these pages I kept the paint job simple and used a magic wash recipe.

Started in May and finished them this very day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You did an awesome job!!

I just did solid colors for each faction (and left mordor red/north light blue)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Harris
United Kingdom
Sale
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Paul, great job and I bet you sighed with relief when you finished!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, you win!

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats - awesome work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Maciw
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great painting. Something I could never do but appreciate the time and effort as well as skill involved. How come you have the second edition board but the first edition Nazgul?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Great job - I especially like your Sauron units and Companions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work!

How about the expansions...?

This is my painted set:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Marsh
msg tools
maciwt wrote:
Great painting. Something I could never do but appreciate the time and effort as well as skill involved. How come you have the second edition board but the first edition Nazgul?

I bought the second edition a couple of years ago and sold on the first as a First Edition but with Second Edition figures and the upgrade kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes the firmest-of-purpose painter to have non-Noldor dark-haired elves. Also the orc squad should be awarded the Black Medal of Cleanliness for being so smartly turned out. Again you wonder if there's anyone out there who's got his actually smelling bad, rather than just looking it. The North regulars always had a slightly campy feel which the paint has concealed, but you can't shoot in heavy gloves. Maybe make the gloves fingertip-less? The riders of Rohan look a bit homogenous, whereas I think of them like tough individualists, ie. Johnny Rebs in mail & leather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Marsh
msg tools
aforandy wrote:
It takes the firmest-of-purpose painter to have non-Noldor dark-haired elves. Also the orc squad should be awarded the Black Medal of Cleanliness for being so smartly turned out. Again you wonder if there's anyone out there who's got his actually smelling bad, rather than just looking it. The North regulars always had a slightly campy feel which the paint has concealed, but you can't shoot in heavy gloves. Maybe make the gloves fingertip-less? The riders of Rohan look a bit homogenous, whereas I think of them like tough individualists, ie. Johnny Rebs in mail & leather.

I think it has been well commented on in previous posts that these minis leave a lot to be desired sculpts wise. I normally paint historical miniatures so I had a lot of issues with armour and equipment from that perspective as well as from Tolkien's i.e too much plate! But at the end of the day these are just playing pieces for a boardgame so it was all about the aesthetics of the game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason C
msg tools
Looks great-like you color scheme. Coincidentally I just finished painting my 5 armies set that same weekend. Coming from painting 25mm(Games Workshop) minis and given the smaller size and "softer" details these were not without their challenges but proved quite rewarding in the end. So much so that I am masocisticly considering painting the difference/additional required from my Wotr set to complete that as well. Then there's always the expansions...

You may have just given me the nudge I needed.(or didn't need depending on perspective-ha)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgeous

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
And just how did those Dwarf lords get all the way to Erech?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Marsh
msg tools
It's the party of Dwarves from the business Gimli and Legolas set up after the war. The "Places we went to during the war" tour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.