Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Luck
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've just played a few games of this, and I'm wondering where the interesting part is. Lost the first game - learning curve - won the rest.

The strategy - for the first part of the game, buy anything green, or anything orange that returns cash. Buy or bank (put into your hand) anything else interesting for later. When the decks are about half gone, switch to pimping victory points instead of cash. Race to finish.

A rather simple computer program could play this for me. I'd have to figure out what special cards are worth and when, but that's just number crunching.

The game is very pretty, and has some interesting mechanics, but I don't see why it's rated higher than 6.

I'm willing to try again if somebody can tell me why.

-JL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who were you playing against? You didn't mention buying any buildings - which can be a key source of victory points.

Try playing against the computer AI - it's pretty good! If you can consistently beat that, great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game is more complex with 2 players because choices regarding blue buildings are more interesting.

Also. Well. You figured out the basics. If your opponents have also figured them out then you can all move to the next level where it moves from buying green cards to a game about hand management and timing.

Or maybe it's just not for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well - you apparently missed that it is designed to be a game for the whole family - like a Hasbro game.
It isn't meant to be a deep strategy game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not an extremely complex game, but it's pretty hard to play well. One thing to be aware of is that players have control over the length of the game, so if you play a strategy that works well in a long game, your opponents can try to shorten the game.

One thing you might do is try some games on BSW. The opposition is usually pretty good there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I didn't see in any of the posts but is crucial even to the most elementary players is the taking of cards you don't want to open spaces for cards you do want. Your theoretical comtpuer program would grab those orange cards early, but wouldn't have any orange cards to take because you failed to take a blue card in hand to open up a space for one to be dealt for you to take, and surely no compentent opponent is going to take a non-special blue card early to open a space for you to get an orange card!

Since open hand spaces can be valuable, there is frequently a tough decision whether to fill a hand space with "garbage" to open a spot for a desirable card for the next phase (in the early game, this turns out to be greens and oranges, and to a lesser extent, upgrades), knowing also that the players who choose before you are going to have better choices than they would have had if you didn't do this, or to not get a desirable card in the next phase at all.

If the players you were playing against were also clueless to this aspect of the game, I can understand why you think there's nothing to it.

BTW, I don't really think of St Pete as a "family" game. I've only played it with real gamers and I still love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Luck
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your input. I will try it again.

-JL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.