Hide
6 Posts

Victory in Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some more questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
juerg haeberli
msg tools
After finishing the last game with the first ever Axis win in 12+ games ( after quite a big mistake by the Allies ) we started a new game during which we found some more questions.

1. Can subs really attack only convoys during winter ?

2. Do Para troops always fly into combat ?

3. When does the Ultra event happen ?

4. Is an SR to Finnland over frozen sea zones possible during winter ?

5. Do German units in Norway really need sea supply ?

6. If I make a diplo roll for Finnland and Norway is Axis controlled but the adjacent Finnish area is Soviet controlled do I get a -1 modifier for my diplo roll for Finnland ?

7) Retreat after combat and step loss.

If I retreat after 1 round of combat ( whatever type ) the unit(s) take a step loss.
What happens if I reinforce a combat and the reinforcing unit(s) retreat after the second round of combat ?
Should the answer be they take a step loss please check relevant sections in rule book and quote if possible.

The win was through the conquest of London in 4-40 when the Allies played the Sitzkrieg card during 3-40.

Many thanks in advance for the answers.

With best regards.

Jürg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bluth
msg tools
Hello,

My 2 cents, fwiw:

1) Yes. Rule 3.42 Firepower - since all units have their firepower reduced to 1 for Primary targets and 0 for secondary, and the Primary for subs is Convoys, then without a card to increase their firepower, they can only attack convoys in winter.

2)Yes - Rule 2.6 Unit Types - "Airborne units can fly one or two areas"

3)1941 - (just kidding) - If I had to guess, since per rule 3.3 they take place on their appropriate phase, since it affects enemy cards, it should take place during the Card Phase during which it is played.

4)No - Rule 3.43 Freezing Seas - "...freeze in both winter turns, preventing naval movement, strategic movement and sea supply."

5) I do not believe so, since Rule 1.7 Straits says "Straits allow army movement over narrow bodies of water" - Since armies may move by land over them, I don't see why supply couldn't either.

6)That is an excellent question - but rule 10.3 says "Proximity +1 if the neutral is adjacent to an existing friendly area or sea."

I guess it depends on your interpretation on whether or not when an area is conquered, it ceases to be part of the original country. Since I don't see any spot in the rules that says that (it simply becomes a friendly area to the major power that took that territory) then technically Finland would still be adjacent to an area that was friendly to Germany when Germany makes its diplomatic roll.

7)No they do not take a step loss. The rule does not say they take a step loss after one round of combat, it says they take a step loss if they retreat in Round 1. (Rule 5.7 Army Retreats, 1st sentence). Reinforcing units arrive in Round 2, and therefore are not subject to step loss (Rule 4.4 Reinforcements).

Hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your 2 cents.

1) We played it that way but...it feels somehow wrong subs cant attack naval units during winter.

2) We play it that way but note they can fly one or two areas and note again they cant use the AF double move if they dont attack.
Spin off question:
How many spaces does a para unit move during winter ?

3) We guessed the same.

4) Looks like I overlooked the relevant point in the rules.

5) Norway has no connection with Denmark. sigh

6) We used the +1.

7) We played it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bluth
msg tools
No problem

1) If you want my opinion - the reducing primary firepower to 1 in winter allows a few oddities - like making weaker units better (Don't attack the Russians with the Germans in winter, attack them with the Romanians and Hungarians) - it is weird, but that is the rule.

2)So, in my humble opinion, the "can fly one or two" should really read "They fly one or two".

When they go into combat, they fly. If there is a blitz, they do NOT fly, but move as infantry. Interestingly enough, the way rule 2.6 reads, they ignore the stacking limits on the initial battle, but not during any blitz-exploits, regroups, or retreats.

They do make the exception that they may only do so if into a battle with other friendly units.

I'm not sure if that is supposed to mean that they can only air drop into battle, OR, that they can only airdrop into battle with friendly units.

If it is the former, then during winter they could only move 1 if they didn't attack someone. But they could move two if they did.

If it is the latter, then they could move 2 whether they attack or not, but the restriction is really there to avoid them dropping behind enemy lines into combat without someone to support them.

5) Ah, I see. yes, if Sweden is neutral, then yes you need to supply Norway by sea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
1) The strange thing is that subs have naval as a secondary and are somewhat useless during winter.

2) The Para unit seems pretty strange rule wise.
Maybe I try to find simpler definitions at a later date.

5) Slightly irritating that the train wagons with Swedish ore pass Sweden coming from Norway without problems but on the way back they are empty and cant transport supply for the Germans in Sweden.

It would be nice to hear Rons 2 cents to some of these questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Draker
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Garret0507 wrote:
6) That is an excellent question - but rule 10.3 says "Proximity +1 if the neutral is adjacent to an existing friendly area or sea."

I guess it depends on your interpretation on whether or not when an area is conquered, it ceases to be part of the original country. Since I don't see any spot in the rules that says that (it simply becomes a friendly area to the major power that took that territory) then technically Finland would still be adjacent to an area that was friendly to Germany when Germany makes its diplomatic roll.

All of the answers were correct except this one, you must have access to the neutral in question to gain additional influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.