21 Posts

Valor & Victory» Forums » General

Subject: How to get started rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J D
msg tools
Hi everyone,

just stumbled over "Valor & Victory", which looks like a really interesting, low-budget alternative to "ASL". If I get this right, this is "print and play".

My question is how to get started: The official website seems to be down.

What exactly do you need to print to get started?

Where can you find the required material (rules / counters / scenarios / maps) ?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Ramos
United States
Nolensville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check your mail - sent you a detailed response I've sent to others before asking this question.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
Thanks banshy1, much appreciated.

I saw your message after fighting my way through the download section.

Great introduction...

I actually thought about getting into ASL, but the modules / starter kits are not available right now and shipping costs outside the US are quiet heavy, so this could be a great, "light" alternative.

Just one question:

What materials have you actually used to build / print the game?

Thought about a color laser printer, but I am not sure what's the best option to create the counters in a nice way that lasts. Maybe cardboard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Neal
Canada
Hillsburgh
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For counters I print onto cardstock and use spray glue to attack the sheet to illustration board which can be purchased from an art supply shop. Then I use good quality sharp scissors to cut the counters apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
Thanks. Will try that.

Same process for the maps or what do you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's a PnP. The needed files are all in the files section, it just takes a while to sort out what you need. I expect you've gotten the help needed on that front already.

For building it, getting some good tools will be a good investment--especially if you go on to build more PnP (there's a TON of games available this way & it can become a hobby unto itself). I use a cork-backed steel ruler, a rotary knife (look in the quilting section of a craft or fabric store), and a simple box-cutter knife for the primary tools.

To build: I first coat the printed pages with Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic sealer, then spray glue them and stick to grey board cardboard (also called chip board or news board). Then cut out the pieces once dry.

Look at the DIY forum for a lot of information on building PnP games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For counters, I used the cardboard backing you get on legal pads. Used full sheet labels to print them on, then simply used a paper cutter to cut the individual counters.

I outlined the process here:

Buliding V&V - Inexepensively
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gerard kerr
Australia
Geelong
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
purchase a rotary cutter
they cost about $30 AUD but will make you counters look pro
i purchase 2mm card from my local art store and when it is cut with the rotary they look commercially made
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
I printed all required material to play the first 3 scenarios with a color laser printer on 150g illustration paper.

Will get some 2mm gray cardboard, on which I will glue the counters and markers.

The question is if I will just laminate the maps with some transparent film or glue them as well on stronger material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hidden Among the Leaves
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Could you send me the same e-mail please?

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brandt

Fort Mill
South Carolina
msg tools
Me as well, please. The rules look great and I'd love to play this with my sons, they go into shock every time I show them the rules to Squad Leader

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schmitz
msg tools
Hello guys, I would also like to receive information about getting started with V&V. Game looks really interesting.

Many thanks in advance !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
banshy1 wrote:
Check your mail - sent you a detailed response I've sent to others before asking this question.

Enjoy!

May I kindly ask you to send me the very same email?

Please and thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

I added the links to the "essential files for new players" to the Community Wiki section at the bottom of the Game page (also a brief hint in the Game Description at the top as a pointer).

Hopefully it will be visible for new players, so that they can download these 11 files and start crackin'.

They are:
3 Scenarios
4 Maps
US and German counters
Support Weapon counters
Vehicle counters
Game markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schmitz
msg tools
Joeyeti wrote:
Hi folks,

I added the links to the "essential files for new players" to the Community Wiki section at the bottom of the Game page (also a brief hint in the Game Description at the top as a pointer).

Hopefully it will be visible for new players, so that they can download these 11 files and start crackin'.

They are:
3 Scenarios
4 Maps
US and German counters
Support Weapon counters
Vehicle counters
Game markers.

Hello Joe, thanks so much for the guidance, I'm sorting things now and will try to have them printed still during the weekend !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb

Might be worth downloading one of these too -- http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1151223

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Might be worth downloading one of these too -- http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1151223

Can it be 3D printed, can you advise on that?
Or a regular alcoholjet will suffice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Backstabbing AND Cube Pushing
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
mindtech2 wrote:
banshy1 wrote:

Enjoy!

May I kindly ask you to send me the very same email?

Please and thank you.

Ditto re: the request!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McCarty
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
banshy1 wrote:

Enjoy!

I know you've been bombarded with requests but can you please send it to me as well?

S!

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
McCarty13 wrote:
banshy1 wrote:

Enjoy!

I know you've been bombarded with requests but can you please send it to me as well?

S!

Mike

If you check the game page (scroll down to the Wiki information), you will find what you seek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Kelloff

Lansing
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
can you please send me the how to start directions as well. I keep winding up on godaddy.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.