1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Pantheon completed (Ennead Heroic conversion, with art) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools

I'm pleased to announce the completion of the Pantheon, a heroic conversion of the Ennead where they side with Ra against Oblivaeon. I owe many thanks to this board for helping to create the Pantheon, particularly FaceonToast, Takewalker, Flatonhisface, Mizerak, Claudermilk, Greylag and Challst.

Some gameplay points...
- The Pantheon are quite an unconventional hero. At the beginning of the game you select three Demigods, each of whom has 7 cards. These 21 (7 each) are combined with 19 Basic cards to form a composite deck that you draw from, this way each Demigod influences the cards you have available (as well as the incapacitated powers). Each Demigod has their own strengths and you can choose based on the foe you face, the allies you fight with, or just whoever looks the coolest. To make adding and removing Demigods from the deck easier, each non basic card has a mark in the top right identifying which deck it is from.

- As a result of the nine individual Demigods having their own cards, the Pantheon is rather larger than other heroes at 92 (19 basic cards, 9 x 8 Demigod cards and 1 character card). This is a lot to print, but it is entirely possible to just print your favourite 3 demigods with the 19 basic cards and play it as a normal 40 card deck. Then if you desire more variety and options later on you can print the other six Demigods.

- Some people may wish to play three copies of the Pantheon alongside eachother to get the entire Ennead in the fray. I make no claims that this is strictly supported by the rules, but if anyone wishes to try I have made copies of the Basic cards with 1,2 or 3 printed in the corner, which will help with organizing multiple copies of the Basic cards back into three decks should they get mixed.

- The main mechanic of the Pantheon is Empowering your Demigods. This gives you access to their Powers, and also several Demigod cards become stronger when the relevant Demigod is empowered. This requires good turn to turn planning - if you want to use that Soulshatter to full effect, you generally need to be flipping Osiris the turn before.

- Each Demigod has 7 cards that follow the same pattern. There is one relic, two copies of a weak card that empower the demigod, two copies of a strong card that can flip the empowered demigod to become even stronger, and two signs that allow a small effect and another play if the Demigod is empowered.

- The specialties of the nine Demigods are...
Atum: The Creator helps his allies play more cards, particularly ongoing and/or equipment cards.
Geb: The Earthquake speaker is excellent against environment cards, and is no slouch at damage dealing, especially against multiple targets.
Isis: The Matriach of Magic is a heavy hitter who specializes in single target damage.
Nepthys: The Life Warden specailizes in life draining, dealing irreducible damage and healing the Pantheon in the process.
Nuit: She Who Protects is entirely defensive, both healing your allies and preventing them from taking damage in the first place.
Osiris: The Lord of Silence is a controller, with good card manipulation and ways to shut down annoying cards.
Set: The God of Storms is very powerful, but also extremely random and prone to hurting his allies.
Shu: The Breath of Wind has minimal offense himself, but focuses on supporting the Pantheon, making it easier for his two allies to draw, play and Empower.
Tefnut: The Warrior of the flood is a dedicated damage dealer, best at dealing many small strikes to wear the enemy down.

- If you enjoy the Pantheon, you might also like my other Villain to Hero conversion of the Operative, the Executor, or my Hero to Villain conversion on Visionary, Legion.

Character Cards
Note: The cards below are not the 100% accurate current version. Those are on the google drive above.

The Pantheon (27 HP)
Setup: Choose 3 demigods. Put one by the (Sun) symbol, one by the (Ankh) symbol and one by the (Hand) symbol. Then shuffle the 19 basic cards with the 7 cards of each demigod to make a 40 card deck. This is your hero deck.

Gameplay: This card and the three demigods around it all count as one card in play.
Power: Flip one of your demigods to the empowered side.
Power: Activate the empowered text of any number of your demigods.

Incapacitated side
You may choose from the three options matching your three demigods.
Geb: Destroy an environment card.
Isis: Destroy an ongoing card.
Tefnut: A hero may use a power.
Nuit: A hero regains 2 hp.
Atum: A hero may play a card
Osiris: Look at the top card of a deck. You may discard it.
Nepthys: Destroy a target with 3 or less hp.
Set: Play the top card of a deck.
Shu: A hero may draw 2 cards, then discard a card.

Basic Cards

2 x Sunscour (One-shot, Basic)
The Pantheon deals 1 target 3 fire damage. You may flip your (Hand) demigod.

2 x Plague of Locusts (One-Shot, Basic)
Destroy an environment card, then the Pantheon deals each target 1 projectile damage. You may flip your (Hand) demigod.

2 x Change of Heart (One-Shot, Basic)

The Pantheon regains 3 hp. You may flip your (Ankh) demigod.

2 x Divine Might (One-Shot, Basic)

Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal three cards that are not basic. Draw these cards and discard the rest. You may flip your (Ankh) demigod.

2 x Gift of the Gods (One-Shot, Basic)
Deal another hero 2 irreducible toxic damage. If they are dealt damage this way, they may either use a power or play a one-shot. You may flip your (Sun) demigod.

2 x Ancient Memories (One-Shot, Basic)
Take a one-shot other than Ancient Memories from your trash into your hand. Another hero takes a one-shot from their trash into their hand. You may flip your (Sun) demigod.

4 x Secrets of the Shrine (One-Shot, Basic)
Search your deck or trash for a relic card and put it into play. You may draw a card.

2 x Last Stand (One-Shot, Basic)
You may flip a demigod.
If you have less than maximum HP, you may flip a second demigod.
If you have less than 15 HP, you may flip a third demigod.

1 x Wrath of the gods (One-shot, Basic)
Flip any number of empowered demigods. Then the Pantheon deals 1 target X radiant damage where X is four times the number flipped this way.

Atum

The Creator

Empowered: One hero may play an ongoing or equipment card. Then flip Atum.

1 x Servants of the sun (Equipment, Relic, Atum)
At the start of your turn, one hero may discard a card to play a card with a matching keyword.

2 x Forged by Will (One-shot, Atum)
Each player may reveal the top 4 cards of their deck. They may put one ongoing/equipment in their hand, then discard the rest. You may flip Atum.

2 x Sculpt the Sands (Golem, Atum)
if Atum is empowered when you play this flip him and * = 8, otherwise * = 4. When damage would be dealt to the Pantheon, redirect it to this target. At the start of your turn, this deals one target X melee damage, where X is half its hp rounding down.

2 x Sign of the sun (One-shot, Atum)

If Atum is empowered, one hero draws 2 cards. Then you may play a card.

Geb

Seismic Shock
Empowered: the Pantheon deals up to 2 targets 2 projectile damage each. Then flip geb.

1 x Serpent Crown (Equipment, Relic, Geb)
At the end of your turn, the Pantheon deals each villain target 1 projectile damage and each environment target 3 projectile damage.

2 x Tectonic Shift (One-shot, Geb)

The Pantheon deals itself and each non-hero target 2 sonic damage. You may flip Geb.

2 x Volcanic Collapse (One-shot, Geb)
Destroy an environment card. If Geb is empowered, flip him and the Pantheon deals one target 5 fire damage.

2 x Sign of the Earth (One-shot, Geb)
If Geb is empowered, destroy a non-target environment card. Then you may play a card.

Set

Touch of Chaos
Empowered: the Pantheon deals one target 1 irreducible lightning damage. If a hero target is dealt damage this way, play the top card of their deck. Then flip Set.

1 x Mask of Thunder (Equipment, Relic, Set)
At the end of your turn, discard the top card of your deck. If it is basic, the Pantheon deals each non-hero target 1 lightning damage. If it is not basic, the Pantheon deals one target 4 lightning damage, then destroy a hero ongoing/equipment.

2 x Lightning Bolt (One-shot, Set)
Choose a target and discard the top 5 cards Of your deck. The Pantheon deals the target X+3 and itself X lightning damage, where x is the number of basic cards discarded this way. You may flip Set.

2 x Elemental Fury (One-shot, Set)
The Pantheon deals each hero target 1 cold damage and each non-hero target 3 fire damage. If Set is empowered, flip him and the Pantheon deals one target 5 lightning damage.

2 x Sign of the Storm (One-shot, Set)
If Set is empowered, each hero may discard up to 2 cards and draw that many cards. Then you may play a card.

Shu

Breath of Wind
Empowered: Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. Draw 1 and discard the other. Then flip Shu.

1 x Whispering Blades (Equipment, Relic, Shu)
At the end of each turn, if the Pantheon drew cards that turn, it deals one target x projectile damage, where x is the number of cards it drew.

2 x Windwall (Ongoing, Shu)
When this is played, the Pantheon deals each non-hero target 1 projectile damage and you may flip Shu. Reduce all damage dealt to the Pantheon by 2. at the start of your turn, destroy this.

2 x Galegrace (One-shot, Shu)
You may play up to two cards. If Shu is empowered, flip him and you may play a third card.

2 x Sign of the Air (One-shot, Shu)
If Shu is empowered, you may flip a demigod. Then you may play a card.

Nuit

Power of the Moon
Empowered: One hero target other than the Pantheon regains 3 HP. Then flip Nuit.

1 x Twilight Orb (Equipment, Relic, Nuit)
The first time each round the Pantheon would be dealt damage, reduce it by 3.

2 x Shielding Stars (Ongoing, Nuit)
When you play this card you may flip Nuit. Whenever another hero target would be dealt damage, you may redirect it to the Pantheon. Any damage redirected this way is reduced by 1. At the start of your turn, destroy this.

2 x Healing Light (One-shot, Nuit)
Each hero target regains 2 HP. If Nuit is empowered, flip her and reduce the damage done to all hero targets by 1 until the start of your next turn.

2 x Sign of the Stars (One-shot, Nuit)
If Nuit is empowered, each hero target regains 1 HP. Then you may play a card.

Tefnut

Razor Assault

Empowered: the Pantheon deals one target 1 melee damage. Then they may deal one target 1 melee damage. Then flip Tefnut.

1 x Nilotic Bracers (Equipment, Relic, Tefnut)
Increase melee damage dealt by the Pantheon by 1.

2 x Shred (One-shot, Tefnut)
Choose a target. Damage dealt to that target is increased by 1 until the end of the current turn. You may flip Tefnut.

2 x Rend and Tear (One-shot, Tefnut)
The Pantheon deals one target 4 melee damage. If Tefnut is empowered, flip her and the Pantheon may deal a second target 3 melee damage and may deal a third target 2 melee damage.

2 x Sign of the Water (One-shot, Tefnut)
If Tefnut is empowered, the Pantheon deals one target 2 melee damage. Then you may play a card.

Nepthys

Essence drain
Empowered: The Pantheon deals one target 2 irreducible fire damage, then regains 1 HP. Then flip Nepthys.

1 x Ashen Wrappings (Equipment, Relic, Nepthys)
The first time each turn the Pantheon deals a target damage, the Pantheon regains 2 hp.

2 x Requiem (One-shot, Nepthys)
The Pantheon deals any number of hero targets 1 irreducible fire damage each. X is the total amount of damage dealt this way. Then the Pantheon deals one target X+1 radiant damage. You may flip Nepthys.

2 x Dust to Dust (One-Shot, Nepthys)
The Pantheon deals one target 2 irreducible fire damage. If Nepthys
is empowered, flip her and increase the damage by 2. The Pantheon gains HP equal to the amount of damage dealt this way.

2 x Sign of Death (One-shot, Nepthys)
If Nepthys is empowered, destroy a target with 3 or less HP. Then you may play a card.

Osiris

All Seeing
Empowered: Reveal the top cards of 2 decks. Discard one of them and replace the other. Then flip Osiris.

1 x Scepter of Truth (Equipment, Relic, Osiris)
At the end of your turn look at the top card of each hero deck, then replace or discard it.

2 x Silencer (One-shot, Osiris)
Choose a non-hero, non-character card. Until your next turn, it’s end of turn and start of turn effects do not trigger. You may flip Osiris.

2 x Soulshatter (One-Shot, Osiris)
Destroy an ongoing or environment card. If Osiris is empowered flip him and look at the top 3 cards of the associated deck. Put 1 on the top and the other 2 on the bottom in any order.

2 x Sign of Penance (One-shot, Osiris)
If Osiris is empowered, one target deals itself 3 psychic damage. Then you may play a card.

Isis

Hex Blast
Empowered: the Pantheon deals one target 3 infernal damage. Then flip Isis.

1 x Entropic Emerald (Equipment, Relic, Isis)
The first time the Pantheon deals the lowest HP villain target damage each turn, increase that damage by 2.

2 x Witchfire(One-shot, Isis)
The Pantheon deals one target X infernal damage, where x is the number of cards from that deck in play. You may flip Isis.

2 x Ancient Curse(Ongoing, Isis)
Play this by a target. If Isis is empowered flip her and increase damage dealt to the target this card is next to by 1.
At the start of your turn, the Pantheon deals 5 infernal damage to the target this card is next to, then destroy this.

2 x Sign of Sorcery(One-shot, Isis)
If Isis is empowered, destroy one hero ongoing and one villain
ongoing. Then you may play a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So glad to see this finally done. It's been quite an undertaking, and I've been excited about it since day one. I'm not sure I can justify the printing cost right now (what might that be, actually?), but I'm definitely going to try and write out my own deck to give these guys a shot sometime. I'll let you know what happens when I do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Osborn
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Love this! Excited to try it out! Thanks! : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Webb
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Congrats on finalizing the Pantheon! I've seen this post all up there for a while yet but never had much to say that wasn't already said. Great Job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
TakeWalker wrote:
So glad to see this finally done. It's been quite an undertaking, and I've been excited about it since day one. I'm not sure I can justify the printing cost right now (what might that be, actually?), but I'm definitely going to try and write out my own deck to give these guys a shot sometime. I'll let you know what happens when I do!

Personally, I just printed them out double sided on a work printer for about $4 and then sleeved them. The colour quality is good and once they're in the sleeve they feel pretty much the same - something like Printstudio would be more expensive but slicker, but not necessarily the only option. If you wanted black and white it'd be cheaper still presumably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Robertson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tefnut's Shred is a bit odd. It's labeled as an ongoing but its only effect quickly expires and it doesn't remove itself. Otherwise quite interesting. The team that seems most interesting to me is Shu, Nepthys, and Isis. If you can get their relics out at the same time you're in heaven, dealing at least 3 to lowest target each turn and healing 2 for doing so. With the added bonus that any out of turn card draw lets you do it again. It also balances the roles nicely, with Shu as defense and support, Nepthys heals and does some damage, while Isis just outputs loads of damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Joebobjoe wrote:
Tefnut's Shred is a bit odd. It's labeled as an ongoing but its only effect quickly expires and it doesn't remove itself.

My mistake - that was a typo in the write-up. The card image correctly shows it as a One-shot and have corrected the post above. Thanks!

Joebobjoe wrote:
Otherwise quite interesting. The team that seems most interesting to me is Shu, Nepthys, and Isis. If you can get their relics out at the same time you're in heaven, dealing at least 3 to lowest target each turn and healing 2 for doing so. With the added bonus that any out of turn card draw lets you do it again. It also balances the roles nicely, with Shu as defense and support, Nepthys heals and does some damage, while Isis just outputs loads of damage.

That is certainly a good combo (although Shu combos with pretty much everyone) - normally it's a bit harder than you might think dealing damage each and every turn for the other two relics, but Whispering Blades clears that up. Bear in mind getting all three relics out isn't that easy, as there are only 4 copies of Secrets of the Shrine - plenty, but you're not that likely to draw 2+ in a game, even with Shu doing his thing.

The craziest combo I've managed to get was a Galegrace turn of Shred, Sign of the Water, Sign of the Water, Wrath of the Gods and another Shred followed by Tefnut's power along with Shu and Set's end of turn against a double-shredded Spite. I look forward to hearing about other tough teamups - I know Shu, Nepthys and Nuit are nigh indestructible for one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Robertson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So thinking on other possible conversions, Kaarga seems like she could be interesting. The win condition would be removed, but you keep the titles and maybe some of the scoring as ongoings. The idea being that she's sort of a support hero, encouraging big flashy moves by handing out bonuses for doing them. She's out of her arena, but that doesn't mean she can't still put on a good show. Maybe also take a page from Necro and give her some gladiators who followed her but are effectively a third party that give rewards to whoever defeats them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I kind of wrote off Kaargra early on as I figured the whole arena gimmick she has wouldn't make sense as a hero, but what you've mentioned is a pretty organic way to do so - handing out "Title" buffs as the main element would make her somewhat similar to Cypher or The Stranger.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to do a total conversion though, you have plenty of art for titles, but for Kaargra herself, there is a very small amount of art available for any of her presumably scary moves - and to be honest given the badass she is supposed to be it'd seem strange if she just mostly patted her friends on the back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Robertson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Perhaps do a split between cards and powers? Give her some decent damage powers to reflect her taking to the fight herself, while most of her cards are buffs. Include a few more normal one shots or powers which happen to be great for fulfilling the requirements for a title, and you have a decent deck. Especially since Kaarga would usually be the first with an opportunity to go for a title, meaning that if necessary she can go full glory hound and just pick up a good chunk of them herself. By keeping the badass gladiator aspect mostly in powers the art issue can be somewhat mitigated, since you can keep it to a few cards but still have a decent impact on her play style. Or do something like Chrono Ranger, where a lot of her cards have her do some minor thing in addition to their main effect, which can be further improved if she has some titles.

I admit this may partially have been brought about by seeing her written off in the Operative thread and realizing there's some ways to do it. Admittedly I'm mostly confined to the digital version so I'm not capable of testing, but I still quite enjoy looking at different custom decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Have also done a reference card for the Pantheon, for use when using Secrets of the Shrine to search for their relics. Like my other reference cards, designed to be printed as a double sided card and kept with the deck for new players to find what their options are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Slight tweak after some feedback and a bad game - Ancient Memories now cannot return Ancient memories from the trash, made a rather easy infinite loop where you just played it turn and turn and allowed another player to keep getting the same one-shot back turn after turn as well. In the game we played that card was Psionic Suppression and things got degenerate fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Okay, Thanksgiving bonus (not that we have thanksgiving where I live, but still) - the tenth member of the Pantheon, Anubis! I spent a while trying to figure out what he would do, the other 9 have most of the bases covered and I needed something unique.

I knew from the start Anubis had to judge people as guilty or innocent, but I struggled with a way to implement this. Generally, the heroes are innocent and the villains evil so the obvious implementation is to have him... hurt villains and help heroes? Hardly novel design space.

I got a better idea from the Oddball card from Joseph Farina's Assassin, which cares about odd HP. Then I fairly arbitrarily decided that odd HP is "guilty" and even HP is "innocent" - something easy to track and that changes throughout the game fairly organically. All his cards are fairly strong, but they do rather key on your targets having the right HP - on the whims of Anubis, which fits. He probably has the most raw power of the Pantheon with good offense and support, but sometimes he just can't do what you need at the time you need it. Final Judgement is particularly hard to set up, but worth it!

Sign of Balance is a bit of wierd one - the damage and HP gain is reasonably trivial, but the idea is you can use it make people have odd or even HP as appropriate. The problem was if I had it deal 1 damage that would take you from odd to even, but if there were any damage increases/decreases (as there often are) it might stop working, hence the wierd "this is not actually damage". Ironically, I just chastised the Assassin for this, but in this case the damage is minimal enough for it being irreducible/ignoring redirection/immunity/whatever it's not a big deal.

Damnation
Empowered: the Pantheon dealsa target with odd HP 3 irreducible infernal damage. Then flip Anubis.

1 x Scales of Anubis (Equipment, Relic, Anubis)
At the start of your turn, if the Pantheon has even HP it gains 2 HP.
Otherwise the Pantheon deals itself 2 radiant damage and you may flip a Demigod.

2 x Deemed Worthy (One-shot, Anubis)
Another hero with even HP reveals the top 2 cards of their deck. They play one and discard the other. Then you may flip Anubis.

2 x Final Judgment (One-shot Anubis)
Any number of targets with even HP gain 3 HP.
If Anubis is empowered, flip him and the Pantheon deals any number of targets with odd HP 3 infernal damage each.

2 x Sign of Balance (One-shot, Anubis)
If Anubis is empowered, one targets HP goes up by 1 and another targets HP goes down by 1.
This is not damage and cannot be increased, reduced, prevented or redirected.
Then you may play a card.

Also, as having another member means another incap power, here is the updated card back for the Pantheon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool...but Final Judgement has an issue (I think). Once you do the first part, adding 3 hp to targets that have even hp...all of those targets will then have odd hp, and will get hit for 3 in the second part. Was that the intended effect?

Or is the "any number of targets" meant to allow you to choose which targets get hit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adelphophage wrote:
the tenth member of the Pantheon, Anubis!

The hell you say. c.c

My comment would be that it should probably be "target's current HP", just to avoid pedants saying "Oh, this could be read as making their max HP go up/down!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Mizerak wrote:
Very cool...but Final Judgement has an issue (I think). Once you do the first part, adding 3 hp to targets that have even hp...all of those targets will then have odd hp, and will get hit for 3 in the second part. Was that the intended effect?

Or is the "any number of targets" meant to allow you to choose which targets get hit?

Yeah, the idea is that you can choose - he will never heal your enemies, but he won't necessarily heal all your friends if he doesn't feel like it, likewise he'll hurt your buddies, but won't always hit all the bad guys. He's kind of an inscrutable jerk like that.

TakeWalker wrote:
Adelphophage wrote:
the tenth member of the Pantheon, Anubis!

The hell you say. c.c

My comment would be that it should probably be "target's current HP", just to avoid pedants saying "Oh, this could be read as making their max HP go up/down!"

Is this for Sign of Balance or all the odd/even HP targeting stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, specifically for Sign of Balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Hrm... I suppose it could be read that way, yeah, and there's no official wording for increasing or decreasing outside of dealing damage, so better safe than sorry.

I'll make the change, thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Robertson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe just say it can't be increased, reduced, or prevented? I mean there's little reason for the "not actually damage" gimmick. Suppose it might come into play against Omni or Tiamat, but not much else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about "increase the next damage dealt to a target by 1" instead of reducing the HP?

It would not work in occasions where the damage is reduced by more than 1 or similar and it's more of a delayed effect (maybe also more fiddly because of that) but the wording becomes simpler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Joebobjoe wrote:
Maybe just say it can't be increased, reduced, or prevented? I mean there's little reason for the "not actually damage" gimmick. Suppose it might come into play against Omni or Tiamat, but not much else.

That's a good point - the unable to be increased/reduced/redirected is what I care about, why complicate it?

dannte wrote:
What about "increase the next damage dealt to a target by 1" instead of reducing the HP?

It would not work in occasions where the damage is reduced by more than 1 or similar and it's more of a delayed effect (maybe also more fiddly because of that) but the wording becomes simpler.

This would work as a way to increase damage by 1, but the point of Sign of Balance isn't really the damage per se, it's a way to get people on odd/even HP. For example, if Anubis is flipped and the boss is on 60 HP, I can use Balance to put him on 59, then whack him with Damnation - if I just increase the next damage by 1 it doesn't help me as I can't damage him with Damnation to get the bonus, and by the time the next hero hits the boss, it's too late for Anubis to do his stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, that's a fair point, I missed it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Modified Sign of Balance - any better? Damage just can't be increased decreased or redirected, so it should reliably drop their HP by exactly 1 in almost all cases. It can't get through being immune to damage entirely (like Phase, say), but this probably fine, it's not like there's much point dropping her HP by 1 so you can hypothetically hit her with Damnation or Final Judgment, as she'd be immune to the big hit anyway.

Assuming the rewording passes muster I'll update the post & google drive sometime tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than immunity, the only other thing I can think of that would stop it is prevention. And I think preventing 1 damage is more in the wheelhouse of heroes than villains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Robertson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Going over this again noticed a couple oddities with Nuit's cards. Firstly, is her relic really intended to only trigger once a round as it is currently instead of once a turn? Secondly Shielding Stars has a typo with a "Reduce" added in right before the word "Redirect".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.