Subject: when terror deck runs out rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Berenice Benayoun
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... do you still get the treasure/fortune card when the level goes up?

Also, should the total number of available terror cards change based on player count?

Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen anything on the rules covering this but, following what most card games do, I'd say that when a card tells you to do something, you do as much as possible.
So if there's no Terror cards available you still gain Fortune/Treasure cards. The same would be true if there were no Fortune/Treasure cards left. You would gain a Terror card and no Fortune/Treasure card.
If there are no Terror cards left it seems as if the game is rewarding you but if all the Terror cards are in the decks of the players, they will have a lot of bad hands during the game.

There's nothing saying you change the deck of Terror cards depending the number of players, but I think, that the most players you have, the more quickly it will run out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Herrick
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Isn't it much more likely that the game will end due to retreating before that happens? Unless I'm misunderstanding the rules, every time you end your turn with terror card in your hand they are discarded, and each discarded terror raises the terror level by 1. If you've got nearly the whole terror deck in player's decks you'll blow through the event cards pretty quickly won't you? But I've only played one solo game so maybe there are enough cards that let you ignore raising the terror level that this isn't a certainty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thefrenchwoman wrote:

Get what treasure/fortune card?
The only time I see Terror associated with getting treasure/fortune cards is the starting threat level chart - surely this only triggers at the start of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berenice Benayoun
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it goes back to 1 after it goes to 6, so it gets back to it - makes for major deck bloat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:
thefrenchwoman wrote:

Get what treasure/fortune card?
The only time I see Terror associated with getting treasure/fortune cards is the starting threat level chart - surely this only triggers at the start of the game?

Ooops I see the mistake I was doing and I suppose Berenice is doing too!
You only gain the cards stated on the Starting Threat Level when the terror level is stablished the first turn.
During the game, only the terror level is increased without gaining any more cards and when it reaches 6, it triggers a new event.
I suppose that's what starting means.
Now, it will be a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berenice Benayoun
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you also do not gain extra terror cards with that - only by fighting invaders?

Majorly different game indeed ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thefrenchwoman wrote:
it goes back to 1 after it goes to 6, so it gets back to it - makes for major deck bloat!
There is no indication in the rules that the effects are triggered at any time other than the start of the game. The die is still used to track the terror count, but the effects on the starting threat level chart only occur at the beginning of the game.
If I am incorrect on this, please point out specifically in the rules where it says so.

Draconis Invasion Rules wrote:
Chapter 4: Player Setup
iv. To determine the Threat Level, the starting player rolls the Terror Die again. This roll sets the starting Terror Count (see Chapter 6: Terror and Events). Additionally, this roll determines the cards gained into your starting discard pile.

Draconis Invasion Rules wrote:
Chapter 6: Terror and Events
Terror cards: Each time you discard a Terror card from your hand, either during your turn or during your turn or during another player's turn, announce "Terror". This will trigger the Terror Die.

Terror Die: The number on the Terror Die is known as the Terror Count. This number increases by 1 with each Terror card that you discard from your hand. When the Terror Die reaches 6, an Event card is drawn. The Terror Die remains at 6 and rolls over to 1 the next time it is triggered.

Event cards: When the Terror Count reaches 6, the top Event card of the Event deck is drawn and given to the upcoming player. At the start of their turn, they must reveal, read, and resolve the Event.

Nowhere does it state that increasing the Terror Count re-triggers the starting threat level chart.
The Terror Count/Terror Die is just for tracking when Event cards are resolved - and the Event cards are the timer for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thefrenchwoman wrote:
So you also do not gain extra terror cards with that - only by fighting invaders?

Or from the use of the cards Cursed Fury, Growing Darkness, Stone Titan, and Werebear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Jeffrey Lai
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Isaiah 53:5
badge
I'm not a real person. Just a cartoon character.
mbmbmbmbmb
SirDingleberry wrote:
Isn't it much more likely that the game will end due to retreating before that happens? Unless I'm misunderstanding the rules, every time you end your turn with terror card in your hand they are discarded, and each discarded terror raises the terror level by 1. If you've got nearly the whole terror deck in player's decks you'll blow through the event cards pretty quickly won't you? But I've only played one solo game so maybe there are enough cards that let you ignore raising the terror level that this isn't a certainty.

You are correct. Although it is possible to run out of Terror cards, it is not common. I noticed some people were playing wrong, not counting Terror as it hits your discard at the end of every hand, and also people rolling the die every time and collecting Terror cards stated on the "Starting Threat Level". I have clarified this for people on the FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.