Subject: Questions upon finishing Showdown rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael O'Connor
United States
Portland
Or
flag msg tools
Got the gang together recently and completed the Showdown campaign. We were shocked how well it went. We probably had the most successful game we've ever played despite the increased difficulty.

Not only did we leave Dr. Lobo on the starting position to complete the main game (and had the intel to defeat him had he reached the bottom of his sheet), but we WON WON the final endgame scenario handily.

A great time was had by all, but we stumbled into some questions throughout our campaign play, especially with the final scenario. Figured I'd share them to help out future players or if we ever decide to revisit the campaign.

Will endeavor to keep this as spoiler-free as possible. That said, if you don't want to know *anything* about future missions, might be best to look away.

1) Under Mission #3 in this Scenario, it says that if a certain condition is checked off, you must meet with a stranger when you reach 2 on the location tracker and test a certain attribute -2. If you fail the skill check, Dr. Sanguinetti is made inactive. If you succeed, he continues to be active or is made active again if a prior condition made him inactive.

Here's the problem. We never reached 2 on the location tracker before we lost the main game, so we never had this encounter. Should we have deactivated him or kept him active since we never started that mission?

2) In the Scenario 8 endgame, you are told after a certain point that resolve may be used to reroll any dice for the remainder of the endgame. Can you also use resolve to add dice, like in a normal encounter?

3) We were playing with 3 players in Scenario 8. We added two non-player controlled characters but were confused by how we should set them up. Do they each only have one resolve? Also they ran up against skill checks. But what are their stats? Do they just have their basic, starting stats to skill check against?

4) In the absolute final roll of the game, it tells you to count successes (guns) and failures (triads). What if you roll an injury? Is that a neutral roll that doesn't affect either side?

5) The QR code on page 50 is a dead link. We tried it with two different QR readers on two different phones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for playing Showdown - I'm glad you enjoyed it

I haven't looked at the book in a long time, so I'm going to have to refresh my memory of how it all works and fits together before I can answer some of these. That won't be for at least a couple of days, but I will get round to it... Feel free to post here again if I appear to have forgotten!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) Under Mission #3 in this Scenario, it says that if a certain condition is checked off, you must meet with a stranger when you reach 2 on the location tracker and test a certain attribute -2. If you fail the skill check, Dr. Sanguinetti is made inactive. If you succeed, he continues to be active or is made active again if a prior condition made him inactive.
Here's the problem. We never reached 2 on the location tracker before we lost the main game, so we never had this encounter. Should we have deactivated him or kept him active since we never started that mission?

I think you're referring to Scenario #4 here. If you do not reach Level 2 on the Location track, then the meeting never takes place. Dr Sanguinetti should be made inactive and the player assigned to Mission #3 automatically fails their mission.

Quote:
2) In the Scenario 8 endgame, you are told after a certain point that resolve may be used to reroll any dice for the remainder of the endgame. Can you also use resolve to add dice, like in a normal encounter?

After that point, in standard skill checks ("Athletics -1", Spycraft -3", etc.) you can add dice and reroll as many times as you want (up to the limit of your Resolve), rather than just 1 Resolve per encounter. In Scenario #8 there are also other dice-rolling tests that the players may have to complete, and Resolve may be used to reroll dice in those tests.

Quote:
3) We were playing with 3 players in Scenario 8. We added two non-player controlled characters but were confused by how we should set them up. Do they each only have one resolve? Also they ran up against skill checks. But what are their stats? Do they just have their basic, starting stats to skill check against?

I think this is covered in the Endgame section of the Showdown book (pp.5-6):
"Set up the spare character mats with 1 Resolve each, and their starting values for base skills"
These agents do not have an 'Entering the Base' encounter, but they may be required to make skill checks in Scenario #8. If so, you use the starting value for the relevant skill, as printed on the card.

Quote:
4) In the absolute final roll of the game, it tells you to count successes (guns) and failures (triads). What if you roll an injury? Is that a neutral roll that doesn't affect either side?

That's right - you literally count guns and triads, and ignore anything else.

Quote:
5) The QR code on page 50 is a dead link. We tried it with two different QR readers on two different phones.

That one I can't help with, but I will ask Jason and see if it can be fixed.

I hope that all made sense, but let me know if you have any other questions. I will also add these to a future update of the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael O'Connor
United States
Portland
Or
flag msg tools
Very helpful, Dan. Thank you for answering these questions. Feel even better about the win now! We made it harder on ourselves! cool

EDIT: Oh, and forgot to mention, the reason we ignored the regular rule for setting up a non-playable character with resolve for the endgame is because
Spoiler (click to reveal)
when you start Scenario 8's endgame, it says to reset the resolve of your characters back to starting position

So it seemed in the same spirit to give the non-playable characters full starting resolve as well; those guys were really a drag on our team! Fortunately, because we didn't know we could use resolve to add dice to any of the endgame encounters, we were still playing at a disadvantage re: the actual rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like your advantages and disadvantages just about cancelled out. Still, you saved the world, and that's the main thing

By the by, sadly the QR link can't be fixed, as the original page has now disappeared, but the song in question (though possibly not the actual version) is this one:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.