Orléans» Forums » Variants

Subject: Do you find the Boatsman (Blue) track to be mostly ignored? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cris C
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I haven't played a TON of games, but several 2P and about 3 games at 4+.

I love this game, but I just realized that I rarely if ever see the Boatsman track utilized.

Do you find this to be true for your groups as well?

What shall we do to fix this?

A few thoughts: The coins don't really matter all that much IMO. SO we need to either increase them or add something to them.

This is the BOATsman track, so shipping comes to mind right? (close enough). How about first space = 3 coins, a blue guy, and upgrade a wheat for a cheese. (as in you sailed to a port and made a sail and bought some goods)

Next space 3 coins, upgrade a cheese to Wine etc. etc. and so on. Wine-Wool / Wool-Leather. Final space is still the citizen.

Other ideas include:
something similar to what was mentioned above, but by space 3 you get a blue guy and a free shipping (move your person on a shipping lane). Space 4 gets you 5 coins and transmutes a couple items - 2 wine for a wool and leather or some such combination. Last space gets you the citizen still in all cases.

Just a quick thought.

What say you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Often ignored, but when combined with the herb garden it becomes more interesting.
(In the cooperative & solo scenarios, I do collect a few boatsmen, usually.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris C
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
That is true about the Herb Garden! - However it might often get removed before the game....

I am going to get the expansion soon - you think that is a must buy if you really enjoy Orleans Base?

What do you think of the additions to the Blue track?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny Blount
New Zealand
flag msg tools
out to lunch
badge
same place I eat at
mbmbmbmbmb
Herb Garden and the expansion building that allows you to repeat a benefit from any of the worker tracks for 5 money every activation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrittyWillis wrote:
That is true about the Herb Garden! - However it might often get removed before the game....

I am going to get the expansion soon - you think that is a must buy if you really enjoy Orleans Base?

What do you think of the additions to the Blue track?

I love the game and I love, love, love the expansion. But then again, I play solo on a regular basis and I enjoy cooperative games. A lot. Should you not play solo and not enjoy cooperative games, what the expansion adds is a ton of buildings, a very good 2 p scenario and new way of playing altogether.

I have played the game sth like 20 times and never really felt it needed to be fixed. I am still trying to get all buildings bought just to discover how useful they actually are. Why don't you try your new variant a couple of times and see if it does not make the Boatsmen track overly powerful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Singleton
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, it gets ignored disproportionately. Thanks for posting your variant ideas; we will try them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Heitzinger
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
There's some good buildings that combo with the boatsmen, so it's fine. A few coins doesn't seem great, but if you reach the end of the track its a decent amount, and if everyone else ignores boatmen, then you can take advantage of the public projects that require them and earn easy citizens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manting Cheng
msg tools
Funny thing we played Orleans yesterday and this came in discussion. I can not recall in all the games(like 20, varies from 2p/3p/4p) no one ever used the track more than 2 times. Indeed the money is really not relevant and i dont really use the blue ppl. Usually i have the school place tile or monks to cover the blue guys. Basically what i am saying we could just play without it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Roach
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This suprises me a little, I find that I often utilize the blue track as a suppliment to one of my overall strategies.

- If nobody else is going for this track at all it will net you an uncontested citizen, and they also useful gaining additional citizens in the town hall "especially" if you are one of the few that collect them
- many of the buildings combine well with them either making them wild, needing coins, or only requiring a worker of any type/color.

I'm not saying go all blue all the time, but I definately wouldn't recommend increasing their power or efficacy in any way. I will say I've only played this game 5-6 times (3 of which are logged here); however, I've always been competitive in my playthroughs and have a very strong/large playgroup when it comes to competitive euros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrittyWillis wrote:

A few thoughts: The coins don't really matter all that much IMO.

Every coin is 1 victory point. If you push that track down towards the end, that really really really adds up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris C
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Aroach88 wrote:
This suprises me a little, I find that I often utilize the blue track as a suppliment to one of my overall strategies.

- If nobody else is going for this track at all it will net you an uncontested citizen, and they also useful gaining additional citizens in the town hall "especially" if you are one of the few that collect them
- many of the buildings combine well with them either making them wild, needing coins, or only requiring a worker of any type/color.

I'm not saying go all blue all the time, but I definately wouldn't recommend increasing their power or efficacy in any way. I will say I've only played this game 5-6 times (3 of which are logged here); however, I've always been competitive in my playthroughs and have a very strong/large playgroup when it comes to competitive euros.

Right on! I will have try a Blue strategy and see how it plays out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also typically use the Blue track a lot (albeit only if I get the Herb Garden). 14 coins and a citizen + a bunch of "wilds" is very strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sal conz
Panama
flag msg tools
i went up the boatsman track in the last 2-player game i played. i got the boatsman citizen and did the beneficial deed that requires 3 boatsmen. i did not have the herb garden, but i did utilize other special placement tiles well. i just so happened to reach my highest score - 171. i still lost though - as my wife also reached her highest score - 191. go figure. but 171 is still a pretty respectable score and is usually high enough to win games.

just going up the boatsman track gives you a total of 14 coin - which is 14 points. it is not as much as the farmer track, but it's still nothing to sneeze at. the farming track gives you more points in goods and can give you a lot of money if you stay ahead, but it is a longer track and it is difficult to stay ahead the whole game unless someone just lets you. but that is never the case when i play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, in every game I've played the boat track has been pretty much ignored. It just doesn't seem like an efficient use of actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sonny Blount wrote:
Herb Garden and the expansion building that allows you to repeat a benefit from any of the worker tracks for 5 money every activation
As Sonny mentioned above, pair the Lair Place Tile and a cheap goods generator (i.e. Hayrick Place Tile or some Merchant movement on the map for collecting some goods) together and you can pop out 5 coins every turn which will add up (minus the cost of the sacrificed good). I've used this strategy a few times to build up a huge amount of money to win the game. This also requires you to play with unlimited money.

Just a thought but if you take the Boatman track to the very end for the free citizen, maybe you could use the Lair Place Tile to pump out another citizen each turn (sacrifice a good each time) which would also be very profitable if you got your Development track up to 6. Not sure about how well this would work (or if it is even allowed) with the limited number of citizen tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Lambert

New York
msg tools
In a multi player game you will get to the point where you run out of both craftsmen and traders, respectively. That leaves only the boatman track for the village action. Assuming that your first cog went there you can now collect coins and thus amass victory points (one per coin) easily. PLUS, you might be able to pick up that citizen at the end of the boatman track....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kaiyoot wrote:
Just a thought but if you take the Boatman track to the very end for the free citizen, maybe you could use the Lair Place Tile to pump out another citizen each turn (sacrifice a good each time) which would also be very profitable if you got your Development track up to 6. Not sure about how well this would work (or if it is even allowed) with the limited number of citizen tiles.

I had forgotten I had wrote this. After some more thought I came to the conclusion that this would not work as the citizen is a 1 time only thing. Only the first person to reach that point gets it so using the Lair to redo the action for an additional citizen would not work as it would not be the first time the action was used any more. It would be no different than someone else reaching that point afterwards - they would not get a citizen as they were not first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ahasver wrote:
In a multi player game you will get to the point where you run out of both craftsmen and traders, respectively. That leaves only the boatman track for the village action. Assuming that your first cog went there you can now collect coins and thus amass victory points (one per coin) easily. PLUS, you might be able to pick up that citizen at the end of the boatman track....
Not every game runs out of the character tiles. Typically Craftsmen get used up but Traders are some times available as well as Boatman. Every game is different depending on what master plan everyone takes. Even the citizen may not be worth anything if you never moved up the Development Track. I've played a game where I had only 2 stars on my Development track by the end of the game but still won by gaining a lot of money and goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.