Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephane Nolet
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
I tried Mare Nostrum today and I really liked my experience. However, I find it a little bit odd that there isn't any alternate starting nations for 3 players. This means that, if I mostly play 3 player games and if I don't buy the expansion, I'll be stuck playing with the 3 same nations over and over again.

With that in mind, I took a few minutes to look at the board and came up with this:

(Lybia is not accessible, hence the red X)

This simple setup seems balanced and playable but maybe I just want it too much to work so I need your advices on it. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Park
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
While that doesn't require the expansion, that alternative is offered in the expansion rulebook.

Also, one not offered by the expansion rulebook (but does need the expansion) is Rome, Atlas, Carthage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Nolet
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok, thanks James. I didn't read the expansion rules so I didn't know about this. I guess this setup is worth a try then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hippibashr wrote:
one not offered by the expansion rulebook (but does need the expansion) is Rome, Atlas, Carthage.

Sounds like an interesting one, has anyone tried this one yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this removes a lot of unique ressources and legendary cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
I think this removes a lot of unique resources and legendary cities.

True, you only get 1 left (Syracuse) while the other 3-player variants offer two (Jerusalem/Troy in the East variant, Syracuse/Troy in the middle variant).

That said, I noticed in the eastern variant it's not possible to get 12 different resources either as wood (Dalmatia) and iron (Rome and Atlantis) are both on the west side of the map. So you basically have to be lucky with legendary resources (or play Egypt, but Egypt usually goes for the coins route).

Either way, I have the feeling that 3-player games are bit subpar compared to 4+. Also because trade (and being trade leader) is a bit weak with just a few players and some heroes (Hercules, Zeus) are a bit overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
ZdadrDeM wrote:
I think this removes a lot of unique resources and legendary cities.

True, you only get 1 left (Syracuse) while the other 3-player variants offer two (Jerusalem/Troy in the East variant, Syracuse/Troy in the middle variant).

That said, I noticed in the eastern variant it's not possible to get 12 different resources either as wood (Dalmatia) and iron (Rome and Atlantis) are both on the west side of the map. So you basically have to be lucky with legendary resources (or play Egypt, but Egypt usually goes for the coins route).

Wood is available in Cappadocia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.