$30.00
$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
After playing this game I realized I really dont have enough games that setup in a minute or two and play in 30 or less and have a sufficient level of depth to make me want to keep coming back. What else do you like in this space? I have Morels but it didnt really grab me like this one, Arboretum just feels much deeper. I also have the new version of Archaeology and Boss Monster. Similar to Morels I like them but dont love them. Any suggestions? Biblios maybe? It has been on my list for a long time. I also just picked up Tides of Madness but havent had a chance to play it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Beaumont
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
I have a Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers tile tattoo !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line, San Juan, Valley of the Kings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alhambra: The Card Game, Age of War, Armorica, Chronicle, Cold War: CIA vs KGB, Cthulhu Realms, Easy Breezy Travel Agency, Flip City, For Sale, Money!, Hocus, Lords of Scotland, Masques, Matcha, Monad, Musée, Murder of Crows, Niya, Parade, Patronize, Pi mal Pflaumen, Pie Factory, Strife: Legacy of the Eternals, Thor, Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Kings: Afterlife, Venture, Wyatt Earp, Xenon Profiteer. All in my collection, all much loved and often played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartagena
Guillyberto wrote:
... games that setup in a minute or two and play in 30 or less and have a sufficient level of depth to make me want to keep coming back.

Lay out a few tiles to make a pathway, hand out pawns, deal a small hand of cards: Cartagena. Each move, contrive to leap-frog past your opponents (based on their positions).

(but you seem focused on card games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kodama: The Tree Spirits
Perhaps a little more setup as there are several decks to shuffle and deal, but quick to play and surprisingly deep for "chose a card, place a card" which is essentially the same mechanic as arboretum.

Decks are:
Trunk card... Deal one face up to each player at start of game. Not replenished.
Season cards... Choose one at random for each season ( total three each game). Not replenished.
Kodama cards... Deal four face down to each player at start of game. Not replenished.
Branch cards... Deal four face up to a tableau. Replenish from stack as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Arboretum is our go-to after dinner game. Played it tonight in fact.

+San Juan and Valley of the Kings.

Also,

Oh My Goods! (with new rules)
The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game

And Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, which is due a reprinting in 2017.

As for Biblios, it feels much lighter than Arboretum, and we rarely play it these days, except as an intro game for new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Side note: My wife and I first played Arboretum at a board game cafe on our vacation in Victoria British Columbia. Good times. We really liked it. I bought it as soon as I could after that.)

To your question:

It depends on your player count. And depending on how fast you play some of my choices here may take ~45 min. My wife and I LOVE:

Battleline
7-wonders Duel (maybe slightly more than 30 minutes though)
Targi (Also maybe 45 minutes for us)
Jaipur (this is lighter than Arboretum but I like to play occasionally)

If you like abstract games:
Onitama
Hive

For games that play great with two, three, or four:
San Juan
Biblios

By-the-way, I disagree that biblios is lighter than Arboretum. I think the beauty of biblios comes from multiple plays with the same people. There is a meta game that happens with the bidding where you are playing the people. Really awesome game.

All of the above games we can set up in a couple minutes at most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork should be mentioned here. Also, its distant, older cousin Blokus. Hey, That's My Fish! and Ponte del Diavolo are also nice contenders in this realm, though a bit more nasty...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Birdwise
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read this thread and was surprised that no one mentioned Coloretto, Bang - the Dice Game and Love Letter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
Cosmix wrote:
I just read this thread and was surprised that no one mentioned Coloretto, Bang - the Dice Game and Love Letter.
\

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I have Love Letter, and it doesn't feel anywhere near as strategic as Arboretum. I definitely wouldn't put them on the same level. Love Letter is a game I would break out for a light hearted romp. I have never found myself agonizing over a discard or wondering what I should do, which is basically the way our Arboretum games are from maybe the third draw on. I haven't played Bang and Coloretto only once, I do remember it being a bit more strategic though it has been quite some time since that session. Anyway thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios
Parade
Kuhhandel
Zany Penguins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archaeology frequently gets overlooked and plays great with all counts very quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:
Archaeology frequently gets overlooked and plays great with all counts very quickly.

... pause a moment to see it already having been mentioned in the opening post itself.

Guillyberto wrote:
I also have the new version of Archaeology and Boss Monster. Similar to Morels I like them but dont love them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
Fjords
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Watson
United States
Belle Plaine
Kansas
flag msg tools
Race for the Galaxy Hoooooold your horses, everbuddy. There is a learning curve here at the outset, to be sure, BUT, once you get it down it is brain burny and about 30 min, depending on the number of players and their level of experience. But it can go pretty fast. And I second: Biblios, Jaipur, Targi.

Nothing will be perfectly on par with Arboretum, which feels to me like an oil-filter wrench wrapped around your head and as you get down to the end, it gets tighter, and tighter and ohhhh, so tight...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.