Hide
7 Posts

Quartermaster General» Forums » Rules

Subject: Air attack - clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spyros
msg tools
Germany has an army in Russia, as well as an army and an air-force in Middle East.
The German army in Russia is in supply because Germany has armies in Italy, Germany and Eastern Europe.
The German Army and Air-Force in Middle East are not in supply because the German Navy in Mediterranean was destroyed in the previous turn by USA.
Germany has Dive Bombers faced-up on the table.

USSR has armies in Moscow and Ukraine. They also have an Air-force in Ukraine.

Germany plays Land Battle to kill the USSR army in Moscow, attacking from Russia, then Dive Bombers to attack Ukraine. Russia uses Air-Defence to save their army in Ukraine. Then Germany uses Air-attack to sacrifice the German air-force in Middle East to kill the army in Ukraine.

Air-marshal rules (page 9): Air attack: When an opponent uses the Air Defense reaction, you may remove your own Air Force adjacent to the space battled in order to remove the Army or Navy originally targeted by the battle.

According to my understanding of the definition of Air-attack in the rules-book, the actions in the above example are legal. But I wanted to double-check that the rules were meant to be that way (i.e. when using Air-attack you can remove an air-force of yours which is adjacent to space that you attacked, where the defender used Air-Defense) or whether there's a typo (i.e. it was meant to be that you can only remove your air-force located in the space from where you attacked the location where the defender used Air-Defense).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Spyros_UCL wrote:
But I wanted to double-check that the rules were meant to be that way (i.e. when using Air-attack you can remove an air-force of yours which is adjacent to space that you attacked, where the defender used Air-Defense)

Yes, to my knowledge this is what is intended in the rules.

Spyros_UCL wrote:
or whether there's a typo (i.e. it was meant to be that you can only remove your air-force located in the space from where you attacked the location where the defender used Air-Defense).

No, the rules do not explicitly require that the Air Force is in a space with a supplied piece, and I believe this is intentionally so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Attila Felsen
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
mb
Since supply is such an integral part of the game, I think Air Attack implies that your adjacent Air Force needs to be in supply at the time of removal. I believe in RAW, but in this case, I do not think you should be able to remove your unsupplied Air Force in the Middle East to remove the Soviet Army in the Ukraine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
attilahfelsen wrote:
Since supply is such an integral part of the game, I think Air Attack implies that your adjacent Air Force needs to be in supply at the time of removal. I believe in RAW, but in this case, I do not think you should be able to remove your unsupplied Air Force in the Middle East to remove the Soviet Army in the Ukraine.

Only Ian can give us the definitive answer on how he originally intended his game to work. Luckily, he always goes to great lengths to answer our questions - something that few of his colleagues do BTW.

All I can say is that, according to the QMG rules (as opposed to the rules for the new instalment, 1914) you never have to declare which piece initiates a battle if you have more than one that is able to. And the Air Attack rules as written do not mention supply. That being said, I don't see any problem with house rules that change the RAW to suit the players' tastes and preferences - as long as everybody at the table agrees beforehand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The official answer is that the Air Force doesn't need to be in supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my good wife conquering a Shopping Mall.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
IanBrody wrote:
The official answer is that the Air Force doesn't need to be in supply.

Wow, Ian, could you do an old man a favour and illustrate this with a wee diagram; you can still use big words as I'm only 67.

Warmest regards,

Jim......mb

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Germany has an Army in Balkans and Middle East, and an Air Force in the Middle East. The pieces in the Middle East are not in supply. There is a Soviet Army and Air Force in the Ukraine. Germany attacks Ukraine, and when the Soviets take the Air Force, loses the plane in the mideast to kill the Army in Ukraine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.