Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Oettinger
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After quite a lot of waiting, Settlers has finally been announced as one of this week's Live Arcade titles. It should be out early in the morning (PST, anywa) on Wednesday, May 2nd, and will cost 800 points ($10 USD).

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2007/04/30/this-week-on-a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Is it stupid of me to be SERIOUSLY considering spending $400 for an XBox 360 on the strength of Settlers? The same Settlers I can get for $30, play for free at my friend's house or on multiple websites? Hmmmmm....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Donkey Thong wrote:
Is it stupid of me to be SERIOUSLY considering spending $400 for an XBox 360 on the strength of Settlers? The same Settlers I can get for $30, play for free at my friend's house or on multiple websites? Hmmmmm....

Or you could buy one and have it break 1 month outside of warranty.

Ahhh. $400 paperweight. It hold down my Settlers of Catan manuals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kindt
United States
Kirkwood
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you get bored of CATAN, you could boot up GUITAR HERO 2 for a musical interlude...or there is this little game called HALO that thousands play every day still...and in June CARCASSONNE is coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
apotheos wrote:
Donkey Thong wrote:

See? This is one of my three BIG issues with the 360: seems like an insane amount of them break. I will NOT buy a console that needs to be placed gingerly on its own pedestal in a temperature controlled room. Microsoft is really dropping the ball on that one.

(other big problems? no built in WIFI and it damn well better be the best console ever if I'm going to drop $400 on it)

Still, Microsofts courtship of Eurogames for XBox live tempts me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkey Thong wrote:

Except that Mayfair Games is currently pursuing legal powers to strip Internet sites like http://www.brettspielwelt.de and any non-Microsoft liscensed website of Settlers.

Same goes for Rio Grande and Carcassonne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it! It's available now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jgerman wrote:
Donkey Thong wrote:
apotheos wrote:
Donkey Thong wrote:

See? This is one of my three BIG issues with the 360: seems like an insane amount of them break. I will NOT buy a console that needs to be placed gingerly on its own pedestal in a temperature controlled room. Microsoft is really dropping the ball on that one.

(other big problems? no built in WIFI and it damn well better be the best console ever if I'm going to drop $400 on it)

Still, Microsofts courtship of Eurogames for XBox live tempts me...

Right now you're talking about one guy's un-substantiated anectdotal evidence. Same with the cooling issue, I don't know anyone that's had a problem.

A small number of any electronic devices will be faulty straight from production. It is possible to get unlucky, but unless you're looking at a verifiable report with actual numbers detailing failure rates you can safely ignore the random complaints you see around.

Trust me, if it was just Eddie the Cranky Monkey saying this then I would pay no attention to it, however, the amount of broken XBox 360s I've seen from people who I know offline and on (ie not just some random message board MS hating troll) tells me that there are serious problems with the durability of 360s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgerman wrote:

Secondly you'll not that Settler's is still on BSW and there have been no announcements to it's removal as of yet. Considering that Puerto Rico was pulled almost immediately after the license was purchased (but with warning, it didn't disappear overnight iirc) and that Catan comes out today* it doesn't seem like it's going to be pulled. Furthermore MS has had the rights to SoC for awhile (to what extent I'm not sure) and they've allowed BSW to continue to host it as well.

In light of all that I'm not sure what your point was. Are you claiming that MS (or Mayfair) has requested that SoC (don't forget Carcassonne is on the way as well) be pulled from the site and they're refusing to comply? That seems fairly unlikely.

* Technically sometime today since it's not there yet... yes.. I did check to see if it had been released at 4am.

Yeah, theres no competition. I frequent XBL often and I can assure you that the percentage of active 360 users who could even pronounce BSW is fairly small.

Even if they could, the XBL version of catan is worlds different than BSW's incarnation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:

My 360 broke a month outside of warranty. I paid over $100 for repairs. Since then, Microsoft has announced that due to the problems with the initial 360's, they were extending the warranties and fixing them for free. I was bummed that this was announced too late for me but a couple weeks ago I got an unexpected check from Microsoft refunding my repair costs.

I guess I could be upset that I'm out the shipping cost, but I'm not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Criwall
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
apotheos wrote:

Been there done that...
Thankfully Sweden have insane (in a good way, atleast for the end user) laws that help consumers against crap like this. All electronic products sold have a 3 year warranty when the problems are things like this (not caused by the consumer, but rather from bad components).

...but then again we pay a little more, roughly 600$ for the 360. The ps3? That would be about 970$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy Hell! Doesn't look like the PS3 will do any better in Sweden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkey Thong wrote:

I can give you at least two other reasons to pick up the xbox 360:
1) Gears of War
2) Halo 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
One of which isn't out, and the other, IMO, wasn't all that great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.