Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
So my group just finished a game that unlocked our first chest. One of the components in the chest was Research Cards which the entry in the Captain's Booke said to shuffle and place on the appropriate space on the board at the start of the next game. Some of the new Advisors also have abilities that help with Research cards. Unfortunately I didn't see any rules for how you draw/purchase/gain research cards in the first place. Non of the new rules that were placed in the rulebook from the chest were about Research cards either.

So my question is how do you gain Research cards? Was my copy missing a rule sticker? Is it something that gets revealed later in the campaign? If that is the case why would you have Advisors that would help for something you can't do?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should hide the text of your posting with spoiler tags like this:

hidden text

The answer to your question is that the Research rules, including how to gain Research cards, are already in the rulebook that you started with. No new rules are needed. Searching the rulebook for the word "Research" is the easiest way to find those rules, but I suggest you start on page 16.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very surprised that the rules didn't come out of that box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Non-spoilers:

SeaFall, p16 wrote:
3. Research
Note: You cannot research at the start of SeaFall. There are no maps or charts at the start of the campaign as you have not begun to explore the world.

Pay three gold to draw one research card. Advisors with Research +X
allow you to draw X additional cards at no extra cost. Choose one
drawn research card to keep and place it face up in your treasure room.
Dismiss the other cards.

Research cards are kept from game to game, and are only dismissed
after you use them.

Then there's a "Rule 14" that presumably gets added at some point. But the above seems fairly clear to me -- just use the research action under the Explorer's guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone.

Yeah, I thought I scoured the rulebook looking for Research cards and couldn't find anything, apparently I was looking at all of the pages except 16.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Chaffer
msg tools
Sorry if I am ploughing the same field but I have a related question about playing reseach cards. Can't find an answer anywhere on this specific incarnation of the question.

A captains book entry says "draw two research cards". Should this follow the usual game mechanic of draw x keep 1, or does it imply draw 2 keep 2. In the absence of a specific intstruction that contradicts the standing rule, ie draw x keep 1' I am assuming you only keep 1 card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevenchaffer wrote:
Sorry if I am ploughing the same field but I have a related question about playing reseach cards. Can't find an answer anywhere on this specific incarnation of the question.

A captains book entry says "draw two research cards". Should this follow the usual game mechanic of draw x keep 1, or does it imply draw 2 keep 2. In the absence of a specific intstruction that contradicts the standing rule, ie draw x keep 1' I am assuming you only keep 1 card?

"Draw x keep 1" only applies to the Research action. If a captain's book entry or other effect says to draw two, you draw two and keep them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Chaffer
msg tools
Ok. Thanks. It seems elsewhere in the game the default mechanic operates unless specifically overridden by another instruction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.