Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talking about expansions on SGOYT geeklist set me to wondering what are other gamers' attitude to expansions? As well as checking the answer that most fits your attitude, I would love to hear your reasons for your choice. Also if you have another view not covered, please comment on that.

Thank you for looking, and more thanks if you voted/commented, and I hope you find the results and comments interesting too.

Poll: What is your attitude to game expansions?
Talking about expansions on SGOYT Geeklist set me to wondering what are other gamers' attitudes to expansions?

Please feel free to comment on why you think you get/don't get expansions, especially if you have criteria or preferences etc. or you never get them.

(This is my first Geek Poll, so if I have done it badly, please excuse me and feel free to point out any issues. Thank you for looking.)

Do you get expansions for your games?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Always/Nearly always get expansions for games I have
31.1% 92
I get expansions when I can
17.6% 52
I get expansions if... (comment to state reason)
47.3% 140
Never get expansions for any game (comment to state reason)
4.1% 12
Voters 296
This poll is now closed.   296 answers
Poll created by StevesArmy
Closes: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get expansions if...

I've enjoyed the base game, and:

- I've played it enough to be looking to add some variety.
or
- The expansion comes highly recommended.
or
- I can see the expansion adds something that will really benefit the base game (and sometimes that's as simple as a 5th player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get expansions if they're on sale.

Pete (takes the bait)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get expansions if/when ratings/comments from trusted Geeks convince me it'll be good.

BTW, the last question is busted. It says never for any reason, and then suggest comment to state reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Used to always get them. Depends on what they provide I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to have a sort of completionist attitude with my games. The more the better right? However now I'm more selective. I don't just blindly get them. Instead I research them to see if the are right for me.

For example the Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition) expansions. They add a lot of elements that change the game beyond what I'm looking for. I like the base game without the character powers. Works well for the few times I play the game with the type of group I tend to play it with.

So the additional guns and powers and such don't work for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait... wait wait. You aren't Skutsch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Almost never. They are usually way overpriced computer to the amount of content they provide per $ vs a brand new game. Now, I might consider it if it's one of my favorite games, an amazing expansion AND it fits in one box together
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never! What, never? Well, hardly ever!

The only expansions I've ever bought are Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders for Carcassonne. It was so long ago, I can't remember whether I bought the base game and expansions at the same time or if I got the expansions a little later.

I own about 200 games, and I'm certain many of them must have expansions. But they're still fun games to play with just what came in the box. I'm philosophically opposed to expansions because I think they're just ways for the sellers, designers, publishers, etc. to make more money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get expansions if I really enjoy the base game. It's that simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I get expansions if/when ratings/comments from trusted Geeks convince me it'll be good.

BTW, the last question is busted. It says never for any reason, and then suggest comment to state reason.

Thanks for pointing that out; please read that as "I never get for any game because... (state reason)" if that is any cleaerer? E.g. I dont think they are ever good value, or once I have played the base game enough I trade it away etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Boy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't "if it sounds good" the only answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:

Who Skutsch? (Puzzled)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kossoff wrote:
Isn't "if it sounds good" the only answer?

I am not sure: this poll idea came from a discussion around Solo gaming. I have been considering getting the Lost Legion expansion for Mage Knight ever since it came out, but haven't taken the plunge. It sounds good, but is it worth the cost of a new game, when I have base games I still would like to get. I suppose space and cost are a big factor for me.

The same with the expansion for Space Empires: 4X.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duchess of Erat
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get expansions for games I really like, if I think the expansion adds something I'll like, and/or if it's more scenarios/stories for something like Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevesArmy wrote:
Touchfuzzy wrote:

Who Skutsch? (Puzzled)

Skutsch is a user that is famous for making polls. I just thought it was amusing to see a poll NOT by Skutsch on the forums, so I decided to make a joke about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
StevesArmy wrote:
Touchfuzzy wrote:

Who Skutsch? (Puzzled)

Skutsch is a user that is famous for making polls. I just thought it was amusing to see a poll NOT by Skutsch on the forums, so I decided to make a joke about it.

I have seen quite a few polls on BGG, but have never looked at the creator/s. I will look out for him

I quite like the response this has received. Many more BGGers have voted than have left comments, so it's quite an effective a way of gauging a mood or attitude towards things. I may become Skutsch II. Long live Skutsch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to get expansions for everything.

Then I played a few expansions that didn't seem to add much or else change the original game too significantly AWAY from what I had previously enjoyed.

So now, if it's a game I enjoy AND the expansion appears to enhance the experience, I'll certainly buy it (at least to try it).

If I already enjoy the game and the expansion adds little more than just "more of the same", I'll likely buy it, but may not actively pursue getting myself a copy.

If I'm lukewarm on a game and the expansion promises to improve upon the original, I might buy it.

Otherwise, my shelves overflow already with games I enjoy just as they are.

(Wow, that's a lot of "if's". I didn't realize expansions were such testy little buggers.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I like the game I very much want to get everything available for it. Not always cost effective and not always reasonable, but I do it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's the falls for the trap and buys them too often?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies and… Read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I didn't have the gotta-catch-'em-all gene. laugh

However, there are some games where I thought the expansions really gummed up the simple charms of the original:

Especially: El Grande but also Catan, Carcassonne, and BANG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of expansions... unless I can just add it to the game. If I have to remove stuff from the original to play with the expansion I usually avoid it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only get expansions when...

- I've already played the base game so much I need more variety (rare)
- they're on sale (+1 Pete)
- they add coolness to the game but don't add complexity (e.g. Obi-wan for SWIA)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
..they are cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get expansions if...

they add something to a game I like that either adds More Of Same or enhances a game I like in a meaningful way. An example of the former is Mysterium: Hidden Signs, and of the latter are Tokaido: Crossroads and Tokaido: Matsuri.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.