Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just stumbled on this idea by error, what it hero scape could be played as 2 teams played by a player each which each have objectives and goals to win like modern miniature games like descent or imperial assault.

It could actually make this game playable again. One idea is that one player could know the layout of the dungeon in advance, or use the paragraph book style variant that a player used to play coop.

Why not bring hero scape miniatures into the game, or even use the heroscape rule and system into a dungeon board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
It could actually make this game playable again.

Excuse me!!!

Quote:
Why not bring Heroscape miniatures into the game

Sacrilege!!! Why use Heroscape miniature when HQ miniatures are better. If you need more miniatures, the endless supply of classic Citadel/GW miniatures should be more than enough.

Quote:
or even use the heroscape rule and system into a dungeon board

The worst thing possible to do to HeroQuest would be to play HeroScape on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Not trying to discourage you at all, but any time I've tried a major redesign of an existing game I always found it very hard to pull off. It's worth trying though, if nothing else because it gives one a first hand idea of how difficult it is to create a playable and fun working game.

Myself, I like Heroquest as is, and find it perfectly playable. I just see it as a sort of "it is what it is" type thing and have never felt the need to tinker. But - if you find your rules compelling, be sure to share it with us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I vastly prefer the old way (unknown map, simple objectives) to the approach taken in Imperial Assault and the like. Surely if you wanted a 2 player game with clear objectives each mission you'd play that or descent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty
United States
California
flag msg tools
blunder1983 wrote:
I vastly prefer the old way (unknown map, simple objectives) to the approach taken in Imperial Assault and the like. Surely if you wanted a 2 player game with clear objectives each mission you'd play that or descent?
This

The only thing I've tried to add to Hero Quest is a mechanic that tries to give the heroes some urgency. The rule that I've tried is thus: "If there are no monsters on the board at the beginning of a round (after the first monsters of the mission have been discovered), Zargon may place 1 wandering monster (as defined in the quest) on the board where an already defeated monster started."

We didn't play enough to test this thoroughly, but from the 2 quests we played with this mechanic in place, it seemed to work well enough. I think that the later missions with Chaos Warriors might be too much, but that remains to be tested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, yes the game is unplayable for 2 groups of reasons.

1st: Rules: There is the Auto search trap, auto search secret door and barbarian door blockade that breaks the game.

2nd: Old: When you bring this game to a group, nobody want to play because it's too old. Still designing variants is not going to convince people more unless you tell them. So maybe a solo variant could be better.

Heroscape and Heroquest has a lot in common, in fact their rule system is almost the same since hero scape was designed from heroquest ideas.

Else it's basically for the idea of team vs team game play that is present in heroscape. But now, it takes place inside walls instead of on open space.

Quote:
The only thing I've tried to add to Hero Quest is a mechanic that tries to give the heroes some urgency. The rule that I've tried is thus: "If there are no monsters on the board at the beginning of a round (after the first monsters of the mission have been discovered), Zargon may place 1 wandering monster (as defined in the quest) on the board where an already defeated monster started."

Hmm! that is a way to add an artificial clock to the game that push players forward and prevent the rule bugs listed above.

There is a guy that designed a solo "App" to manage map exploration, with your wandering monster mechanics, that could be pretty interesting as you cannot kill everybody. Still, there could be door blocking issues. The door blocking issue was solved in a fan game called "Dungeon Crawl" where corridors are 2 space wide and most doors are 2 space wide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
OK, yes the game is unplayable for 2 groups of reasons.

1st: Rules: There is the Auto search trap, auto search secret door and barbarian door blockade that breaks the game.

2nd: Old: When you bring this game to a group, nobody want to play because it's too old. Still designing variants is not going to convince people more unless you tell them. So maybe a solo variant could be better.

The traps, and secret doors system is the weakest part of the game in my opinion. It just becomes a tedious litany every time the group reaches a new dungeon section doesn't it soblue
I've pretty much sidelined it in my Coop/Solo/app version of the game for this reason.

If the Barbarian, or Dwarf blocking a door is causing you grief in your games, simply put in a few Orc, or Goblin bowmen

Your second point is totally valid I think. Good luck with trying to introduce HeroQuest to an established group that hasn't met it before - they will certainly be put off by it's age
Most of my group cut their teeth on HQ, and we still play it occasionally for old times sake (quite a bit lately, playtesting the Coop/Solo/App version). But I think the real joy is introducing your kids/grandkids to fantasy gaming with this classic and much loved dungeon bash
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can borrow from Advanced Heroquest to fix both the searching issue and the doorway exploit by using "Dungeon Counters".

Zargon rolls a D6 once every turn, and once for every failed Hero search attempt. On a six Zargon gets a Dungeon Counter which can be exchanged for for a wandering monster at the start of Zargon's turn. Zargon can save up the tokens and use them all at once.

It helps with both the searching issue and the doorway issue, since the monsters can remain stationary in the room, so the Barbarian will have to move in eventually.

You can (truthfully) say the game is a pre-release version of "HeroQuest 25 Aniversario" and make it super modern and cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

It helps with both the searching issue and the doorway issue, since the monsters can remain stationary in the room, so the Barbarian will have to move in eventually.

I like the idea, but if zargon is out of wandering monsters token, the barbarian can still do door blocking.

Both zargon and the player are waiting indefinitely until somebody gets bored. Yes thrown weapons could be an option. Else moving out to alert other rooms could also be a solution if the map is not linear which is the case in most quest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

For the "solo" version, I got an idea for traps using threat tile. In a room you could have 3 threat tile, but only 1 is trapped, you have to take a risk of moving on the tile, you flip it and see if it's a trap. So the position of the trap is random all the time, but you know there is a trap somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was to do a face-to-face variant then I would change the monster or hero stats to even things out a bit more. Have the dungeon already set out and have objectives that need to be protected or obtained so it isn't a flat-out brawl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do still think that the forces needs to be assymetric, fewer stronger heroes/characters, vs a lot of weaker monsters.

Possibly there would be no equipment buying, all characters would be pre-equiped, or have 2 equipment configuration possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.