Subject: Balm of Uttermost Stickiness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thought I would throw this out there (even though we made a house rule on the spot and will probably stick with it.. [edit: hahaha... no pun intended] but I still thought I would get other opinions. I mean if everyone replies to this with the opposite, then I might have to re-consider)

Rules say Uttermost Stickiness lets you take 2 or more adjacent Ingredients of the same color from the same slide track of the Dispenser.

So, I know that there is a question about the Filter of Lavamancing (discard up to 5 ingredients of 1 color from the same slide track) in another thread, where someone referred to the Watch it Played video that suggests you can only use that on the marbles you can see when you activate it.
But the Uttermost Stickiness... if you pull adjacent colors at the top, and the same color comes down the track, and the same color keeps coming out... well, we just ruled that you would get all of them as long as they are still the same color.

Sound reasonable to you guys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We took it to mean that you could only take marbles you can see at the start of your action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for only what you see. Think of it like you are grabbing all of those marbles at once instead of 1 at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, thank you both for your input... it is appreciated.
However, I have to say, after reading through the rules thoroughly, that I can now see a valid argument for either way.

On the one hand, on page 7 it says under Taking Ingredients: “you can freely choose any marble that is visible on the Dispenser, except for the 9th marble on each slide track.” Now, it would be silly to let you pick the 8th marble, and not let you get the 9th marble under the dispenser, but still visible... and it does go on to say under Triggering an Explosion that “When two ingredients explode, all of the ingredients of that color connected to them also explode. You take all of the exploding ingredients”

So this really seems to indicate that you would get any that were up under the dispenser as long as they are the same adjacent color... just try to explain to someone that they don’t get all those reds that just came out when they just caused the reds to explode. I can’t see that going over well.

So there is kind of a precedent for the Balm of Uttermost Stickiness being able to also keep pulling the same color if it keeps coming out.

However, I have to admit that it says on page 9 under Drinking Potions, that “When you use a Potion to take marbles from the Dispenser, you never trigger Explosions” That, together with the rule for explosions: “all of the ingredients of that color connected to them also explode. You take all of the exploding ingredients” does rather suggest that since it is NOT an explosion, you can’t take the adjacent ingredients that were hidden a moment ago.

But then... it is the Balm of UTTERMOST STICKINESS! [edit: So why wouldn't they stick to the ones that were visible?]

So again, I definately appreciate your input, but I'm thinking at this point I kind of hope the game designer will chime in to settle it.

As for the Potion of Lavamancing: to me, that one does make sense that you can only target ones that are visible, because A. those do not have to be adjacent, and B. because you are discarding them [edit: and C. they aren't sticky]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crumb Justice
msg tools
mb
Before reading this thread, I interpreted the rules as applying only to visible marbles, but after hearing your argument, Lance, you've convinced me. It's an interpretation that strengthens the theme instead of going against it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, the newly-released app only allows you to get the visible marbles. So unless it's a bug with the app game, it looks like we have a definitive answer now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Pra'
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we come with the definitive answer... sorry for the delay

You are not limited to the marbles that are visible on the dispenser when you trigger the effect of a potion. This is true for both the Balm of Uttermost Stickiness (you can take more marbles of the same color, if they fall from above) and the Filter of Lavamancing (you can discard marbles that have fallen from above). The current implementation in the app is not 100% accurate yet in this regard, but this will be solved in a future update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Glad to hear an official ruling, and that the app will be updated as well.

Alessandro, do you know if there's any plan to implement the initial potion draft at the beginning of the app game? The app just deals them out randomly, which is a bit of a bummer. I'm assuming this change was to speed up online play, but it sure would be nice to have the option to turn that feature on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Pra'
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Awesome! Glad to hear an official ruling, and that the app will be updated as well.

Alessandro, do you know if there's any plan to implement the initial potion draft at the beginning of the app game? The app just deals them out randomly, which is a bit of a bummer. I'm assuming this change was to speed up online play, but it sure would be nice to have the option to turn that feature on.
The initial draft, as you correctly imagined, had to be removed for the technical needs of the online multiplayer functionality. We didn't think anyone would be missing it... but now that I know this is the case, I'll discuss the matter with our developing team, Studio Clangore. I cannot guarantee it will be implemented, but we'll investigate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Algaroth wrote:
Here we come with the definitive answer... sorry for the delay

You are not limited to the marbles that are visible on the dispenser when you trigger the effect of a potion. This is true for both the Balm of Uttermost Stickiness (you can take more marbles of the same color, if they fall from above) and the Filter of Lavamancing (you can discard marbles that have fallen from above). The current implementation in the app is not 100% accurate yet in this regard, but this will be solved in a future update.

Groovy.. thank you for the official ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, I guess I need to ask the obvious, with Potion of Magnetical Attraction, could someone legally pluck marble 8 (at the top) then, after the new marble dropped, decide to take the 'new' 8 or the 7 marble? (assuming different color of course)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Pra'
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
well, I guess I need to ask the obvious, with Potion of Magnetical Attraction, could someone legally pluck marble 8 (at the top) then, after the new marble dropped, decide to take the 'new' 8 or the 7 marble? (assuming different color of course)

In the boardgame, definitely yes.

In the app, I think this is not possible yet, just like for the balm of uttermost stickiness and the filter of lavamancing. But in theory, it should be possible there too, once we will fix that behavior once and for all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.