Subject: Advance on Chasoul rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a repost from the Solitaire Wargames Facebook group. I posted it there in April, but I figured I'll archive it here as well. I naturally named all my soldiers based on their letters. I'm lazy, so I just went to a list of the most common surnames in the United States, and went down the list until finding the first name that matched the letter, so my squad is made up of Anderson, Brown, Clark, Davis, Evans, Ford, Garcia, and Harris. Anderson and Brown are the commanders. Anderson has 4 initiative, Brown and Clark 3, and everyone else has 2.

The squad's mission is to scout the small town of Chasoul and occupy it until relieved. No opposition is expected (sure...). They begin by entering the woods to the west, and then slowly creep through the forest and advance along the railroad tracks running parallel with the main road. They meet their first opposition in the form of a sniper with a scoped BAR camping in a small wooden building. While the rest of the squad draws fire, Clark is able to sneak behind the building and toss a grenade through the window to incapacitate the German Sniper.

They then move southwest through the woods and approach the local church. They are able to access the building with no resistance. Garcia is sent in to make sure all is clear, which happens to be the case for the first room. The second room isn't so easy. Garcia walks right into a booby trap, but it must be his lucky day as all he suffers is a brief moment of panic.

Next, the squad moves north toward the village. They position themselves outside the first grouping of buildings. Peeking through the windows they don't see any enemies. To be sure, Garcia is sent inside the first of the three buildings while Anderson stands guard outside. Everything seems to be okay, until he checks the window in the far left room. As he turns to give the all clear, his luck runs out as the glass shatters and a bullet rips through him. Anderson turns at the sound, but before he can fully assess the situation, a second shot strikes him right through the temple. Anderson is killed instantly, while Garcia is incapacitated and unable to contribute the rest of the mission.

After Anderson goes down, the squad goes through a moment of confusion. Brown is able to pull the squad together and manages to position them for an attack on the building where the sniper fire was spotted. Clark gets in position south of the building and lays down some cover fire that allows Harris to move in for a better attack. Harris eventually succeeds in incapacitating the German sniper who killed Anderson and seriously wounded Garcia.

Meanwhile, Davis gets separated from the rest of the squad and draws fire from three Germans hiding in the woods to the east of the village. Evans was in the vicinity, but he panics and is unable to help Davis. As Clark and Brown rush to help, Davis takes a shot that puts him down. When Brown gets there he discovers that Davis is still alive, but he won't stay that way if they can't get him some medical help soon.

Brown sends Evans and Harris around one of the buildings to provide fire support to the south, while he and Clark attack from the north. Clark manages another inhuman feat in this firefight. Brown wounds one of the Germans while Clark positions himself for an assault. Brown fires again and hits the same soldier, and this time the German falls to the ground incapacitated. Clark immediately charges in and assaults another soldier, killing him instantly. Shortly after that, Clark turns on the last German soldier and sees that he is an officer. Clark engages the officer and manages to capture him alive!

While Clark is transporting the prisoner, the rest of the soldiers go back to the village and clear the rest of the buildings. Harris moves deeper into the village to do just that, while Brown and Evans go back to Davis and Garcia to try to carry them to a safe location to await medical treatment. Just as Brown gets to Davis, Harris notices a Kubelwagen peeling out of the woods to the south. Brown immediately takes off on a trajectory to try and cut the fleeing Germans off, but he isn't fast enough as the two Germans in the vehicle are able to escape to the east.

At the same time that the German Kubelwagen is spotted, the squad hears a plane in the sky. They recognize it as a German Me-109 fighter, and it looks like it is coming in for a strafing run. The squad gets one last stroke of luck as the Me-109 is off target and shoots up nothing but dirt and grass to the west.

The squad gathers in the train station to wait for the rest of their division to arrive. Brown is able to get Davis there with no issue, but Evans struggles with Garcia, who was more seriously wounded. Still, he manages to get him to the train station. The mission will go down as a success, but with the loss of Anderson, nobody in the squad is able to celebrate.

So that was an interesting session. I felt good about my progress at first, but then when the sniper killed my best commander and incapacitated another member of the squad, I wasn't as confident that I would win this. After the last firefight in the woods, even after capturing the German officer, I looked at my potential VP and noticed that even if I manage to drag Davis and Garcia to the train station that I would be one point shy of victory.

That's why when the Kubelwagen popped up I knew that it was my only chance for a victory. I desperately tried to get a shot in at it to try to slow it down and potentially capture the officer for the crucial 3VP, but I was just too far away from the start. By a huge stroke of luck, the Random Event check when we entered that last round was a paragraph that activated the German Me-109. I rolled a 0 and it strafed down B hexes which is nowhere close to where I was located. This paragraph also gave me 1VP, which meant that if I could get Davis and Garcia to the train station, then I could get those 4 VP back to bring me to 25 VP exactly.

Those were the most tense dice rolls I made all game. Davis got there safe, and then it was Garcia's turn. I had to drag him 4 spaces. On the very last roll, I rolled a 1! Ahahaha. That Me-109 felt like a cheap way to get the last VP, but Clark went full Rambo in that game, so I think the boys earned it. Fun fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Crompton
United Kingdom
St Helens
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant! I love Ambush, such a fun and narrative game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Great AAR !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Smith
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great replay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.