Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitch Wilson-Brown
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I know the actual answer to this already, but wondering if someone can point me to the verification.

We played through for the first time this evening and my wife played Thor's Ascension during a battle. When she won, she immediately reached down and moved her rage stat up by 3.

I caught it and told her I thought it was supposed to be her rage track. So we looked at the card to read it again and realized it just says "gain 3 rage", but looking at the player clan sheet, there are two different places to track Rage.

She wanted to use it on the Rage stat because it bumped her up 10 Glory points and really didn't need the additional rage to play.

We glanced through the rulebook but we were very short on time and trying to finish before she had to leave for work, so I told her to just take whichever she wanted. She decided I was probably right and took the rage track instead of the stat, but I told her I would figure it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
You played correctly, gaining Rage means the Rage you have for this round. If it meant the other track it would have talked about increasing a clan stat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Wilson-Brown
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is there any language anywhere that makes this clear?

I ask because since this was our first play through, I've also re-read the rule book again to see what else we missed, and it seems we missed a commonly missed rule: When all provinces have been successfully pillaged, the action phase ends.

So let's say your rage stat is currently at 8 and you are pillaging the last available province. Using this card would be useless if it affects the rage track as the action phase would end and you'd be left with useless rage. Where as, if it affected your rage stat, it's suddenly a 20pt play.

Maybe that's just too much but it sure seems like a great way for a player to make a huge jump and surprise everyone at the very end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mitchelwb wrote:
Is there any language anywhere that makes this clear?

I ask because since this was our first play through, I've also re-read the rule book again to see what else we missed, and it seems we missed a commonly missed rule: When all provinces have been successfully pillaged, the action phase ends.

So let's say your rage stat is currently at 8 and you are pillaging the last available province. Using this card would be useless if it affects the rage track as the action phase would end and you'd be left with useless rage. Where as, if it affected your rage stat, it's suddenly a 20pt play.

Maybe that's just too much but it sure seems like a great way for a player to make a huge jump and surprise everyone at the very end of the game.

It probably doesnt specify clearly in the rules. But its easily implied. There are many cards that refer to rage, and all talk about the rage currency track. The loki card that steals one rage from the winner... is this clear? Its obvious what it means. This card is no different.
Pay 1 rage to invade from vahalla? A stat or a rage point?
All cards that refer to stats just say any one clan stat. They are called clan stats, so thats the rage clan stat. Just rage is the currency track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Wilson-Brown
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I get what you're saying. And I'm not disagreeing. I was just hoping maybe there was something more explicit than just "It's obvious [to me]"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Affonso
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stats are always referred to as stats, as can be seen on page 18 of the rulebook ("increase your clan's Rage stat"; "increase your clan's Axes stat"; "increase your clan's Horns stat"). Every single effect in the game does that — quest cards, battle cards, clan upgrade cards, rules in the rulebook.

If it's not telling you to increase a clan's stat, then you are not supposed to increase a clan's stat.

That can also be pretty clearly read from page 7:

Quote:
Across the middle of your clan sheet is your Rage Track. Rage is your currency. When you take actions, it will usually cost you some of your Rage. You will move your clan token along this track to indicate how much Rage you have left at the moment. [...]

The Rage stat tells you how much Rage you will have at
your disposal at the beginning of each round. With more
Rage, you can take more actions.

So, it's pretty much what Todd said: from context, it's obvious. Do you steal from the rage stat with Loki's Trickery? Do you pay from the rage stat to invade? Do you pay from the rage stat to activate upgrade effects?

There's no two ways to read Thor's Ascension, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.