Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Kochel
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hey,

So my group has a question. If the enforcer hasn't been attacked, and doesn't have an outlaw within 1 sector it targets the closest lawful planet. However, what if while traveling to the lawful planet it is targeting, it moves into a sector putting an outlaw ship within 1 sector. Will the outlaw then reroute to the closer outlaw ship or will it stick to the target from the beginning of it's movement, the lawful planet?
Basically, with the enforcer change his route "patrol" mid-turn to attack an outlaw that is now within 1 sector?

Thanks so very much

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Keep it simple. There would be no reason to do this, by the time the Enforcer has moved enough distance to put an outlaw ship within range, he will not have enough movement to get to and attack them.

Since there is no benefit in checking more than once, just do it once, move the Enforcer, and get on with the game. This would add additional checks and reevaluation which adds more time, and doesn't actually get any benefit from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Kochel
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, but in our case he was going to be flying only 2 hexes away from the outlaw ship. it's just the way they were oriented on the sectors. And he'd only used 3 moves, and his missile shoots up to 6 away...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost put an asterisk with a footnote, to say something about corner cases. Yes you may have the occasional case where the enforcer is on the edge of a sector, and cuts across a short part of another sector, and may still have movement to get LOS and range on an outlaw. It's going to be pretty rare, but yes it could happen.

The problem is, regardless of how you choose to resolve rules, you must do so consistently.

It's my opinion that this isn't worth the extra checks along the way. I want to add that I approached this answer from the perspective of "how should we do this", rather than "how do the rules say we do this". It's a subtle difference, and the rules agree in this case.

The Enforcer acts in steps. First it acquires a target, next it moves towards that target, the attack step only applies if the target was a ship. There is no provision for rechecking for a new target mid turn. So a strict rules interpretation is that the Enforcer would not fire.

However since the game is more open, and malleable, and people like to houserule and customize things to work the way they think will work best, I answered this from that perspective. I hope this all makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's room for debate on this issue*, and debates our table has had...

What we've finally settled upon is for the Enforcer to pick his target, then move to that target. Then, if any Outlaw ships are in range and LOS, he shoots the nearest one.

*The rules don't cause the debate; that comes from "thematic" arguments, which I am not a fan of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
SamKochel wrote:
Hey,

So my group has a question. If the enforcer hasn't been attacked, and doesn't have an outlaw within 1 sector it targets the closest lawful planet. However, what if while traveling to the lawful planet it is targeting, it moves into a sector putting an outlaw ship within 1 sector. Will the outlaw then reroute to the closer outlaw ship or will it stick to the target from the beginning of it's movement, the lawful planet?
Basically, with the enforcer change his route "patrol" mid-turn to attack an outlaw that is now within 1 sector?

Thanks so very much

Sam

Hey Sam! I think Derek has done a great job answering - but because you sent me a GM here's my response!

According to how the rules are written, the Enforcer would not change his route mid-turn. I tried to make the NPCs as simplistic as possible, so as to keep their turns super quick and maintain the focus on player turns.

However - as I've stated before, Xia is a sandbox, and if you want to house rule NPC behaviors (or anything else) that's totally fine with me! As long as the houserules are clear and consistent, it should still be fair for everyone!

Hope this helps!

Cheers, -Cody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.