Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it but haven't played it. Its a dungeon crawl with drafting. Tom Vasel gave it a good review and I think Zee Garcia liked it also. However, I heard the company no longer supports the game, that's why it has been on sale frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:
Anyone play this? Is it any fun?

It's interesting. The rules are written very poorly, but once you kind of get it, it's a fun experience. Not the best game I've played, but fun times can be had if you can wade through the awful rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
Brownsburg
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy this one. If I hadn't already owned a copy, I'd pick it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it fun.

As was mentioned above, the rules are confusing, which I found odd for a Queen game. Usually they are pretty clean.

But the step-by-step format didn't really work here because it made fighting and choosing monsters seem much more complicated than it really is.

There are some files in the game forum that clean this up and once you get through it a few times, it becomes pretty straight forward.

I picked up the extra stuff from the BGG store also because once we got it, we really found it fun.

I think it is a good deal at this price.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pickelsimer
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy this game. I picked up all the bonus cards and stuff from the BGG store. The one thing to be aware of, especially at the full player count, someone will have a terrible draft and get beat down throughout the game. My first game I was out of contention after the first of the 3 rounds because of my draft. Not sure I made it to 5 victory points... But the mechanics are great and I love the way it plays. Be aware there will be some rounds everyone gets beat by the monsters, that is how tough it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Inception: 01/08/16
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input. I bought it a while ago, but it's never seems to get to the table. I'll try harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Adams

Boston
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Took me awhile to get it to the table, but just played it the weekend finally after 1-2 years. So glad I held on to it. Rules are a bit of a mess and your first game will be correcting in the later phases. Despite those hurdles my group was all smiles playing it. I've read repeated plays makes for a tighter and sometimes more cutthroat experience but that could depend on the group. It's a blast. Sad that Queen stepped away from this. Expansions with cleaned up a rule set and more equipment and monsters could make this a really nice addition to anyone's collection.

Would love to see someone else pick up these rights for this game. You really don't need to look that hard to see a good game in there.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious, was everyone's copy being Sold by "InStock Group", with an estimated delivery of October 17th - 28th? Why such a long estimated delivery date? Is this shipping from China? Just has me concerned as there has recently been a rash of "China Scams" running through the BGG HotDeals...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If ever a game needed an expansion, Lost Legends would be high on the list. I won't play the base game any more, but I still hold on to my copy in desperate hope it gets more support one day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Wondering if anyone who's played this game has also played Treasure Hunter and has any input as a result on how to improve either game without waiting for an expansion.

I played Treasure Hunter and found it to be fairly solid, but it's missing a story arc (repetitive) and I'd like a little more depth. Read a post on the TS forums that said it was a lighter version of Lost Legends. They're both card drafting games in which you defeat monsters, both by the same publisher.

Probably chasing windmills, but I'm curious as to whether either game can be tweaked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
Wondering if anyone who's played this game has also played Treasure Hunter and has any input as a result on how to improve either game without waiting for an expansion.

I played Treasure Hunter and found it to be fairly solid, but it's missing a story arc (repetitive) and I'd like a little more depth. Read a post on the TS forums that said it was a lighter version of Lost Legends. They're both card drafting games in which you defeat monsters, both by the same publisher.

Probably chasing windmills, but I'm curious as to whether either game can be tweaked.

I've played both. My mixed reactions to Lost Legends is actually what inspired me to track down Tresure Hunter.

I agree that both games could use some minor tweaking, but I think Treasure Hunter is much more open to house-ruling than Lost Legends. In the forums, one person has already suggested a variant that lets people use their defeated gobling tokens to "attack" other players hero cards.

One idea I had was to add each successive goblins power together and actually "pay" dog cards to defeat them. For example, if the three goblins numbered 3, 2, 2, then the players would have to pay 3 strength in dogs to defeat the first one, 5 strength in dogs to defeat the first two, or 7 strength in dogs to defeat the all 3 goblins.

I've also considered switching the treasure and goblin phase around, so players have to "fight" before they can "loot" and then perhaps instituting a rule where players can lose hero cards randomly from their hands if they can't defeat all three goblins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Treasure Hunter already has an expansion.

Treasure Hunter Expansion 1: Goblin's Loot

I think it is pretty hard to get now, but it makes the goblins more difficult to beat.

There is also

Treasure Hunter: Queenie 1 – Band of Goblins

in which each goblin has a special effect.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Quote:

Treasure Hunter already has an expansion.

Treasure Hunter Expansion 1: Goblin's Loot

I think it is pretty hard to get now, but it makes the goblins more difficult to beat.

There is also

Treasure Hunter: Queenie 1 – Band of Goblins

in which each goblin has a special effect.

Kevin

Yup, I already knew about those, but neither addresses my concerns to any great length.

The Queenie is just a handful of troll tiles. The expansion as you said is very hard to get and basically is about making the dogs more important when certain troll tiles appear. Neither of these create an arc or engine to the game or do that much to increase interaction.

I'm someone who really doesn't like 7 Wonders, but I'd like what Treasure Hunter and Lost Legends are trying to do with the mechanic. I think Treasure Hunter is a fine gateway, but I'd like more depth from it if that's possible. Right now it's got a BGG weight of 1.89 while Lost Legends now stands at 2.46. I'd like the weight of Lost Legends which is why I inquired.

I noticed yesterday that Queen Games is not promoting either of these titles on their English page despite the fact that Treasure Hunter just went to market recently in the US. I wonder if they're planning on abandoning it like they appear to have done with Legends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:
travvller wrote:

I've played both. My mixed reactions to Lost Legends is actually what inspired me to track down Tresure Hunter.

I agree that both games could use some minor tweaking, but I think Treasure Hunter is much more open to house-ruling than Lost Legends. In the forums, one person has already suggested a variant that lets people use their defeated gobling tokens to "attack" other players hero cards.

One idea I had was to add each successive goblins power together and actually "pay" dog cards to defeat them. For example, if the three goblins numbered 3, 2, 2, then the players would have to pay 3 strength in dogs to defeat the first one, 5 strength in dogs to defeat the first two, or 7 strength in dogs to defeat the all 3 goblins.

I've also considered switching the treasure and goblin phase around, so players have to "fight" before they can "loot" and then perhaps instituting a rule where players can lose hero cards randomly from their hands if they can't defeat all three goblins.

You've given me something to think about. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
I noticed yesterday that Queen Games is not promoting either of these titles on their English page despite the fact that Treasure Hunter just went to market recently in the US. I wonder if they're planning on abandoning it like they appear to have done with Legends.

Queen Games has recently sent copies of Treasure Hunter to Amazon Vine reviewers, so I don't think they're abandoning it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
travvller wrote:

Queen Games has recently sent copies of Treasure Hunter to Amazon Vine reviewers, so I don't think they're abandoning it.

Yup, knew about that as well. The game just hit the US retail market so obviously I don't mean to say Queen was going to stop selling it. I think they could be just using Vine to help sell the copies they have.

Even though there is no info about the game on their site, there is information about many of their games that are newer than Lost Treasures. If they were behind on updating their site then I'd think they'd be behind on all their games. Multiple new releases, some of which haven't even hit retail yet in the US, are being promoted on their site. But no Lost Treasures.

If this was another publisher I might think otherwise. But this is Queen and I definitely think they would do this. As is Lost Treasures is very light in a field crowded with family games. It's a fine game, but I don't see it hitting the bulls eye like Ticket to Ride. I could easily see Queen viewing, anticipating and acting as if this is a one and done barring a huge number of games sold in the US over the next few months. Being a Vine promoted title doesn't affect that at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saul Thomas
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Curious, was everyone's copy being Sold by "InStock Group", with an estimated delivery of October 17th - 28th? Why such a long estimated delivery date? Is this shipping from China? Just has me concerned as there has recently been a rash of "China Scams" running through the BGG HotDeals...

I ordered this on September 21, and it arrived today. It came from the UK in a bubble wrap mailer. I was disappointed that it didn't come packed in a box, but fortunately it was as beat up as I feared--the corners were dinged and there were a couple of bumps on the sides, but all in all the game box is not badly damaged. The contents are pristine. All in all I feel as though it was not a bad deal. If all the games are wrapped in bubble mailers and shipped from the UK, though, the degree to which any given box is damaged in transit might be up to chance.

It came with a return label with an address in Ft Lauderdale, Florida.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.