$30.00
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the same usual suspects from last week. Trevor went first, followed by Don, Craig, Tim and myself. Scoring tiles were A: 2 for each completed mountain, B: 1/3/6 for number of brochs, C: 2 for each 4 square hex, D: 1 for each point on the road.

Craig had made the observation that the D scoring tile is most valuable one and you should be focusing on that, as it has the potential to give the highest score. So with roads being important, he didn’t worry too much about brochs, but rather 4 square segments and roads.

I tried to stay behind and use the income to catch up. I didn’t have any completed mountains, but I fell too far behind. I think the income from last place only works if there is a money scoring tile in the mix.

Craig had too much of everything and he won by a large margin, scoring 9 pts for roads at the end, and 5 pts for square segments.

Scores:

Craig 68,
Trevor 57,
Norbert 57,
Tim 54,
Don 52

Craig's winning tableau with an impressive 9 pts for the road and 5 pts for square segments.

Game 2: Player order was Craig, Tim, myself, Trevor and Don. Scoring tiles were A: 3 pts for each 3 sized region, B: 1/3/6 for number of brochs, C: 2 for each completed mountain, D: 1 for each completed region.

Trevor had auctioned a enclosed broch for $4, thinking he could get it himself. Doing the math, it was worth at least 12 VPs – 3 VP for the broch scoring, 6 for the mountain scoring and 3 for completed region, plus it had a $1 barrel per turn. I had enough money when it came around to my turn, so I bought it, and my game got off to a flying start. As a bonus I even got a three grassland region for 3 VPs. Rarely do you get a tile that checks off so many boxes.

Tim was trying a different strategy. He decided to focus on end scoring tiles, such as the sheep and cows. Thus he didn’t pay too much attention to the scoring tiles. This has won before, and Tim was close in this game.

I was able to get 3 brochs together to maximize the 6 pts and had enough completed regions to stay ahead of Tim. Tim had 8 sheep, and two of the 1 VP per 2 sheep tiles and was close.

But the big lesson from this game is that any dangerous tile in round 1 is usually tossed.

Scores:
Norbert 64,
Tim 61,
Trevor 56,
Craig, 54,
Don 51.

On the left is my tableau. The tile above my starting tile is the $4 tile I bought and rode to victory. Tim's tableau is on the right, with 8 sheep and two sheep scoring tiles.

Game 3: Player order was myself, Trevor, Don, Craig and Tim. Scoring tiles were A: 1 VP per road connecting home, B: 2 VPs for each cow on the road, C: 5 VP for most money, D: 2 VP for each mountain.

Whenever the money scoring tile shows up late, I find that makes it hardest to evaluate, since being behind gives you more income. But the first order of business: I had a tile that had 2 cows on the road. Even if I priced it for $4, someone would snap it up,as it would be worth at least 12 VP during the game. There was no way I would be able to keep it, so I threw it away. In fact, everyone else tossed their cows on the road tiles, learning the lesson from the previous game. This was now turning into a tight defensive game, resulting in lower scores.

I was gunning for the most money VPs, so I kept money for that. That’s what kept me close. Craig was able to have may roads (scoring 9 VPs at game end). Trevor had lots of completed mountains and roads to be competitive as well.

The last round was pretty tense. We play with open money, so I had to buy before Craig and Don, who were close to me in money. I bought a tile from Don for $12, which was worth 4 VP to me, (so I had gained $8). Craig had priced both his tiles for $11, and Don bought one of them from Craig, giving him the lead with in money with $32, and I had $25. In the post game analysis, the tile that Don bought wasn’t worth $11, and it gave Craig the money lead. There was a remark that Don had been an inadvertent kingmaker. The play order made me reveal my intentions, allowing the remaining players to calculate what they needed. But it was a close hard fought game.

Scores:
Craig 47,
Norbert 44,
Trevor 44,
Tim 38,
Don 36.

Craig's tableau is on the right, with a 9 pt road and $32 to get the 5 VP at the end over me. My tableau is in the middle with 4 completed mountains. Trevor's tableau is on the left. Trevor remarked it was only the mountains that carried him through, as he had no cows and didn't score any money VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished last in every game and enjoyed each one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Walker
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mb
In the last photo, is that an illegally placed tile I've spotted? The tableau with the long road, next to the scoreboard - at the loop at the top there is a mountain edge directly connected to a field edge...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adamvic wrote:
In the last photo, is that an illegally placed tile I've spotted? The tableau with the long road, next to the scoreboard - at the loop at the top there is a mountain edge directly connected to a field edge...?

Yes, I believe you are correct. The tile to the right of the 1VP per homestead is illegal. So that's how some people are continually successful at this game. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh O'Bryan
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my favorite way to rank a game. Did I enjoy it even while being slaughtered? I consider games great if they're enjoyable to play even if getting beat soundly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me for two things:
1) thread necromancy
2) If I understand incorrectly, as I have only played the game once.

In the top photo, you state that Craig scored 5 points for his "squares" - but it looks like scoring tile is 2 points per square (5 squares) - so wouldn't that have been 10 points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:
Forgive me for two things:
1) thread necromancy
2) If I understand incorrectly, as I have only played the game once.

In the top photo, you state that Craig scored 5 points for his "squares" - but it looks like scoring tile is 2 points per square (5 squares) - so wouldn't that have been 10 points?

Yes, you are correct. He has 5 squares, so he scores 10 pts. Good catch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.