$30.00
Chris L
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Hey everyone,

Looking at X-wing Miniatures and Memoir 44 right now, which one would you recommend over the other, and/or other options I should consider?

I like how X-wing minis are prepainted and are more like toys, and maybe less units to focus on is easier for young kid? But I feel like maybe Memoir 44 is overall easier and simpler for the son to start to "get it" on his own..

Also, is it correct that the game rules are more easily built for team play with X-wing minis, because the two team players just split the ships in half and each control their ships, as opposed to Memoir being kind of clunky with command cards and sharing shifting units..?

Anyone play similar situations with kids on teams with these games or similar games? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milis
United Kingdom
Cranham
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Chris,

I play x wing with my 5 year old and he loves it!! Pick the iconic ships and characters and load the weapons up. If it ends up just you and your child playing a game, pick your move first, then give some guidance on possible moves for them. My boy beat me playing like this!! A great game in which his face was a picture when Darth Vader was blown to smithereans followed immediately by his Luke Skywalker!!

Have fun.

Regards,

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Chris,

you three should go to your local game store and try different games.

I thought that X-wing would be a hit with my then 8-year-old son, but it completely failed. He was and still is a Star Wars fan and found the idea of flying an X-Wing and shooting his Dad - sitting in a pesky Tie Fighter - into oblivion more than compelling, but the game fell flat. Luckily we tested it at our FLG first. I think it was the spatial aspect combined with the overall fiddliness of the components.

Memoir 44 is something completely different. We play it regularly since he is 8 (he is 11 now). Rules are simple, the game has enough luck and with all the expansions you will have years of fun. Correction: not you will have fun, but your friend and his son. I don't see how you can play it one vs. two in any meaningful way. Yes, there is Memoir Overlord, but I think that is too much for a six-year-old, and you would have to handle one side completely on your own. Maybe you should ask in the MM44 forum for a variant that might work.

What about a classical dungeon crawler like Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King (sorry, I can not insert links at the moment)? You can play the Overlord and your friend and his son can play as a team. And when his son gets a little older, he can take the role of the Overlord, trying to smash those two pesky adventurers who dared to enter his dungeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, two players can play as a team and share a side in X-Wing. Another fun format with three players is for each player to field two 30-point ships, last player standing wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.