Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody know of any retailers that either buy back games (whether used or new), or maybe exchange games for store credit? I'm in Southern California.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have 1/2 price books, though their rates of exchange are ridiculously low in other areas so I've never tried to sell games to them.

wf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Noble Knight Games is the only one I know of, but you will likely get more money for your games if you sold them through BGG, eBay, or a local convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giant_Monster wrote:
. . . you will likely get more money for your games if you sold them through BGG, eBay, or a local convention.

Agreed. That's where the broadest range of potential buyers can find the games you have for sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish! I've kind of been wanting this for a while.

My friend is opening a lgs soon, and I think they are going to be doing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
I wish! I've kind of been wanting this for a while.

My friend is opening a lgs soon, and I think they are going to be doing this.

Advise your friend to be very cautious with buying up used games.

My wife was a manager in a comic book store where the owner -- an avid collector himself -- bought up collections of old comics even when his competitors weren't. He grossly overvalued the used comic books, driven in large part by his overestimation of the sale potential and partly by his own passion for them. With more and more capital sunk into used product that was not moving, the store failed. All the old merchandise was sold off at a fraction of what the owner had paid for it.

I think starting with a sound business model and strictly sticking to it is the key. Otherwise, a game store can turn into an old game museum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our FLGS offers a consignment system. The net gain of sales proceeds gets credited as store credit. It is a great system that is very convenient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
mbmbmbmbmb
Giant_Monster wrote:
Knoble Knight Games is the only one I know of, but you will likely get more money for your games if you sold them through BGG, eBay, or a local convention.

Bolded for truth. Noble Knight Games is out to make a profit and you are not part of that profit... I found their offerings to be a mere pittance, especially once you saw their asking prices for the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Our FLGS offers a consignment system. The net gain of sales proceeds gets credited as store credit. It is a great system that is very convenient.

I have something similar where I live and it seems to work really well. If you haven't already just call around and see if game stores in your area do something like this. I'm always finding a lot of old RPG books and resell them to a local store which is nutty for them for store credit. I get new game stuff and they get old smelly books, win-win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Larchuk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Empire in Pasadena
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laladien wrote:
Giant_Monster wrote:
Knoble Knight Games is the only one I know of, but you will likely get more money for your games if you sold them through BGG, eBay, or a local convention.

Bolded for truth. Noble Knight Games is out to make a profit and you are not part of that profit... I found their offerings to be a mere pittance, especially once you saw their asking prices for the games.

I've noticed this 'model' with many other things too....
1) The campus bookstore on a college would have its "mission statement" that their goal was to pay you as much money as possible to buy back your used textbooks. Of course it wasn't THAT great for the consumers... you pay $55 to $65 for a new text book, they buy it back from you for $15 to $20, and then sell it as used for $44 to $50. Many students ended up selling their books directly to other students for $25 to $35.

2) In the age of digital video game downloads, ubiquitous mobile devices, Steam, and other software distribution services, GameStop is still able to compete with Steam and Amazon. Buying back used games for cheap and selling them back higher (sometimes they'd even go so far as to shrink wrap them and pass them off as new!) may not have been their only approach, but it sure was a large part of that.

3) There are many web sites that will buy back iPhones, but one of them gives you some flat rate for your used (working) iPhones. This flat rate is roughly 1/6 of what the iPhone's current list price is. However, given how iPhones can sell for much closer to their original, list price within its first 3 years of release, of course you're NOT getting top dollar doing this. Not by a long shot.

It sounds like board games are no different.... As somebody who's on the lazier side of these things, I have sold back to merchants before. This is really only good if you "just want to be done with it". You don't need to go through the hassle of finding a buyer, listing your product online, meeting the buyer, and carrying the bg with you. OTOH, the tradeoff is you're getting much less otherwise, as the "buy low, sell high" approach is what makes it worth it to the merchants, and what you'd go through instead.

I have yet to sell my used electronics. I don't think I'd get much for them, but OTOH, I will confess I'm also lazy about that and never tried. For bg, I either just sold stuff at a con by bringing it in (TtR Swiss FTW!), or just given away games (e.g. Kingsburg I left with my non-gamer group when it was made known that they enjoyed it, but it wouldn't get played enough for me to warrant its expansion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
tfrogger27 wrote:
Game Empire in Pasadena

This.

But, depending on what you are trying to get rid of, you'll possibly get substantially more by doing the work to sell them yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
san marcos
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pair-A-Dice Games in Vista (N San Diego county). I know they sell used games and assume they get them from customers, but I don't know on what terms, e.g. whether it is straight up store credit or on consignment. I think it is probably for store credit bc they often have sales and discounts on the used stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
As somebody who's on the lazier side of these things,...

This. It isn't worth it for me to take the time to advertise, package and ship games for resale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.