Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddy Rae
Belgium
Zele
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a copy in Hong kong.
It seems the base pledge but something seems weird about it.

The president and chancellor markers state : previously elected..
Why? These are the only two markers.

Also the box is pale, there is no information on the box.

This is a chinese counterfit that is sold in bulk for around 10$ a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolczynski
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: What's wrong with this copy?
Definitely a knock-off. The policy cards should be smaller than the voting and role cards, the boards should be thicker, as you pointed out there are no normal chancellor and president placards, and the box is wrong. Compare against actual pictures of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Rae
Belgium
Zele
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you I edited, found out more about those now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Now being sold on eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SImon A
Australia
flag msg tools
Damn! This looks like the copy I bought off eBay the other day. Is it still playable? Am I better off, for playability or out of principle, attempting to get a refund?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Isaac
msg tools
Is this copy playable though? A friend ordered it on ebay for me for my birthday. I'm most worried about the policy deck being too big for the policy track.

I'm willing to pay a cheap price for this knock off over a my bad quality print and play if it is playable.

Of course, I'd really prefer to support the game designers, but living in Australia, this game cannot be bought any other way other than on ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Rae
Belgium
Zele
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are to big but it is doable.
If you can get it cheap it is a step up from pnp.
Who knows when on earth the original will hit retail anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Buhr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This kind of copy right infringement is a ctime and I would not tolerate it.

Guys, do yourself and all original content creators a favor and report these items on ebay as counterfeit. I ordered this "version" and realized it was fake when it arrived. I requested a full refund, didn't accept the partial refund the seller offered me and will ultimately get my money back from ebay.

Don't support crime!

You wouldn't buy a stolen bike, would you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hankins
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered one of these off Ebay and it just arrived today. Only just realised that it was a bootleg copy.

It's not the same quality as the real game but it was very cheap and the quality was very good for what I paid for it (~10).

What ruins it is that there's no Hitler card... although there is a blank card that hasn't been printed onto (front and back). Renders the game unplayable...

I'd say 'you get what you pay for' (I should have known that something was off given the price) but it's frustrating because it's a reasonable good knock-off otherwise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolczynski
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wight1984 wrote:
I ordered one of these off Ebay and it just arrived today. Only just realised that it was a bootleg copy.

It's not the same quality as the real game but it was very cheap and the quality was very good for what I paid for it (~10).

What ruins it is that there's no Hitler card... although there is a blank card that hasn't been printed onto (front and back). Renders the game unplayable...

I'd say 'you get what you pay for' (I should have known that something was off given the price) but it's frustrating because it's a reasonable good knock-off otherwise!

Report it and get your money back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Devir
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
copies*

Sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hankins
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bubba0077 wrote:
Wight1984 wrote:

Report it and get your money back.

I did exactly that shortly after receiving it!

I'm not very pleased at it being a bootleg copy... but the Hitler card being missing isn't good enough even if I were to accept it being a knock-off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UP Games
Canada
flag msg tools
Must be faked, I do see a lot faked boardgame copies in China...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Rae
Belgium
Zele
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NjordVanir wrote:
This kind of copy right infringement is a ctime and I would not tolerate it.

Guys, do yourself and all original content creators a favor and report these items on ebay as counterfeit. I ordered this "version" and realized it was fake when it arrived. I requested a full refund, didn't accept the partial refund the seller offered me and will ultimately get my money back from ebay.

Don't support crime!

You wouldn't buy a stolen bike, would you?

Good, did you destroy the it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh F***! I thought I got the original. No wonder it was so cheap. -_- Gonna contact ebay as soon as I get it.

EDIT: There's a video of a guy unboxing this knock off version of the game. His copy contained a Hitler card, and this was uploaded not too long ago. If current copies of this version contain Hitler now, then I won't be too upset.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXtjaRf7MaY

But still, don't make the mistake of buying this version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hankins
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarryAqua wrote:
Oh F***! I thought I got the original. No wonder it was so cheap. -_- Gonna contact ebay as soon as I get it.

EDIT: There's a video of a guy unboxing this knock off version of the game. His copy contained a Hitler card, and this was uploaded not too long ago. If current copies of this version contain Hitler now, then I won't be too upset.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXtjaRf7MaY

But still, don't make the mistake of buying this version.

The ebay seller I bought from has arranged for new fascist cards to be sent out to me, which makes the game playable.

I still don't approve of what they're doing, especially given that they're not doing so transparently, but ~£10 for a fairly good quality reproduction for the game isn't too bad.

I'll definitely want a copy of the real thing once the retail version of the game is available in my region though. I've played with the real thing at cons and it is significantly better in quality (and the money goes to the right people when you buy it!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Wight1984 wrote:
I still don't approve of what they're doing, especially given that they're not doing so transparently.....

They've committed a crime, haven't they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hankins
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
Wight1984 wrote:
I still don't approve of what they're doing, especially given that they're not doing so transparently.....

They've committed a crime, haven't they?

Yes.

The company have given some pretty expansive permissions to recreate the game... but they've drawn the line of commercial recreation.

Secret Hitler Rulebook wrote:
CREDITS & LICENSE

Secret Hitler was created by Mike Boxleiter, Tommy Maranges, Max Temkin, and Mac Schubert.

Secret Hitler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-onCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

YOU ARE FREE TO:
• Share — copy and redistribute the game in any medium or format
• Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the game

UNDER THE FOLLOWING TERMS:
• Attribution — If you make something using our game, you need to give us credit and link back to us, and you need to explain what you changed.
Non-Commercial — You can’t use our game to make money.
• Share Alike — If you remix, transform, or build upon our game, you have to release your work under the same Creative Commons license that we use (BY-NC-SA 4.0).
• No additional restrictions — You can’t apply legal terms or technological measures to your work that legally restrict others from doing anything our license allows. That means you can’t submit anything using our game to any app store without our approval.

You can learn more about Creative Commons at CreativeCommons.org. (Our license is available at CreativeCommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/legalcode).

http://www.secrethitler.com/

I've pointed this out in my feedback, which is now visible to other ebay buyers. However, I would be surprised to see anything done about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ika ika
msg tools
Well now I'm worried... I was surprised to find a copy on Amazon as I thought the game was completely sold out. The vendor is from China but the picture on the web shows the official box and is not cheap like those fake copies, but now I'm suspicious...

The game arrives around next week so we'll see... Amazon has a good returns policy tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin De Koninck
msg tools
Hmm according to this license , this also puts Total Biscuit and other streamers on very shaky ground , as they play the mod on Boardgame Simulator and stream it, also making money by the way.

The mod on Boardgame simulator is kind of uploaded to an app store.
And the Chinese sellers are recreating the game the same way a professional copy center would when i would ask them to make me the print and play version.

It IS however extremely shady amd a lookalike of the original product ,
yes, but they are doing the same
as anyone outside the US has to do to play it .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.