Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Weisberg
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not dumb right? There's no undo button? We made a lot of tapping mistakes on the app during our first game (we were using a phone, since none of us had a working laptop), and an undo button would really helped. One time could have been solved with the message log, but I didn't know that existed until after the game was over. I wish I had a list of possible hunting horror attack text, because we either severely cheated, or it wasn't as close as we thought. Basically, I accidentally tapped the app (not any of the options, mind you), during a attack by a hunting horror, and I'm pretty sure what I thought was the fail condition, wasn't but I said it because I didn't want to halt the game. Thinking back, it wouldn't have changed the end result, since that investigator was dead that turn anyway, and surviving wouldn't have changed the result. But it was annoying. A few other times we realized we made a range mistake, and caused an enemy not to attack and etc. A back button would be very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No - you're not dumb.

Or rather, since I don't know you well enough, you may or may not be dumb, but either way there is no undo button...

It's something the app could really do with, even if in limited number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great idea.

Mail FFG, I did asking if they could include a facility to save multiple games, and a few days later they replied saying 'they would consider it'.

So at least they will look at your suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agree, this is a major need for the app. More than once in last night's game, I bumped the mouse (playing on Steam with my laptop) or inadvertently clicked, and there was no going back.

Especially since the app does not track details, and is there as an assistant, you should be able to move back and forth easily.

Perhaps if more people replied to this thread, even just saying 'I agree', or thumbing it, it would gain their attention?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Y
msg tools
Undo's unfortunately one of those features they should have planned from the beginning, because going back and retro-fitting the app with an Undo will be a LOT more work. Hopefully they do it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think players would end up abusing the undo button when things didn't go as planned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crispy66 wrote:
Agree, this is a major need for the app. More than once in last night's game, I bumped the mouse (playing on Steam with my laptop) or inadvertently clicked, and there was no going back.

My only play of this game we used a touch screen laptop. That seemed to work really well. If you have one, I might suggest unplugging your mouse and just using the touchpad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
I think players would end up abusing the undo button when things didn't go as planned.

So? It's their game. They can cheat all they want as far as I care (not that I would play with them, mind you).

But the possibility that some group may use an undo button to 'cheat' shouldn't be the reason the rest of us are disallowed such a basic feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Weisberg
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:

There are FAR easier ways to cheat in the game, and if they want to choose a one that takes them out of the experience then, whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:

So what? It's a coop. And also that's something players can already do in any nonapp game. So this is an added restriction with no value add to customers.

If some groups want to allow redoing thier moves a hundred times until they win, it should be thier pergoative just as it is in ANY OTHER boardgame.

E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, YES, I desperately want an undo button. We've played it three times now, and each time we've managed to touch or bump something in the wrong place and jumped ahead by accident. Last night, while trying to touch the plus to put in my observation check results, I clicked 'continue' by mistake- we were using my husbands Nvidia shield tablet, so it was fairly small. Thankfully, since I essentially 'found nothing' with a result of zero, it just left the search token there and I was able to reopen it and put in my actual results. I'd have been ticked if it had disappeared and we weren't able to get the item I found there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We clicked something by accident and really needed an Undo button.

Please make this happen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veggiesama wrote:
Undo's unfortunately one of those features they should have planned from the beginning, because going back and retro-fitting the app with an Undo will be a LOT more work. Hopefully they do it though.

Agree, it would be a massive effort for them to implement a proper undo button at this late stage, though not impossible.

Having said that, I previously mentioned on another thread some time ago a possible alternative that would be almost as good...

Since the app already auto-saves, why not just have it keep multiple auto-saves, perhaps one for each turn of the game? When you resume a game, it could ask you whether to continue where you left off, or let you choose one of the auto-saves out of those available.

So if you mis-click or suffer some other disaster (eg. a corrupt / broken save due to a bug), you can simply close the app or back out to the menu, then re-load your game from the previous turn (or however far back you need to go).

I guess the main problem would be the players having to "undo" the turn with the physical components, mostly from memory since the app doesn't track component positions. But even if you made tiny mistakes, it's better than not being able to continue at all, in the case of the app crashing or similar.

I don't really care if a system like that would leave the app open to abuse/"cheating". If some people want to spoil the experience for themselves, they can do that in any number of much easier ways. And unlike with online console/computer games, they're not annoying other people.

Anyway, perhaps if some other people email FFG with a similar suggestion, they might consider implementing something along those lines.

I may even have suggested before how implementing that might overlap with the same sort of tweaks required to support multiple independent game save slots. So the dev team could possibly cross off 2 highly-requested features for minimal extra effort.

EDIT: Actually, the app could keep TWO auto-saves per turn, one for the start of each of the Investigator & Mythos phases. That might help minimise any manual "undo"-ing of physical components required to back out of any mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have nothing substantial to add to this thread, but I wanted to reply to get the post count up. This thread needs to explode to demand attention!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. An Undo/Back/Last Message button is needed.

Odd it isn't a standard Feature....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wiet wrote:
I have nothing substantial to add to this thread, but I wanted to reply to get the post count up. This thread needs to explode to demand attention!

Same.

I've not ran into anything major but accidentally tapping into the next phase during Escape From Innsmouth confused things a little bit and an undo would have fixed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris P
msg tools
mbmbmb
grahamj wrote:

Maybe, but you're playing the game for you. So if you want to cheat, go ahead.

I agree that we do need one because sometimes you click by accident, it happens. You play games because it's fun and not to cheat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an atrocity that they didn't include this. One single accident and an entire game could ruined. That could be hours wasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
It would be nice if the message log showed you where an event occurred. So if a monster spawns or something happens you can click back to see where it was.

Also, I would appreciate being able to pan when exploring a room. Sometimes the walls in supposed to place are hidden by the text box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lankyb wrote:
Also, I would appreciate being able to pan when exploring a room. Sometimes the walls in supposed to place are hidden by the text box.

Yeah, that was a glaring annoyance from our very first game, so I'm surprised it hasn't been tweaked yet. I emailed FFG about that (+ some other suggestions) shortly after release. Perhaps drop them a note with your thoughts too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crowley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lankyb wrote:

Agreed with this - it's a little annoying in what is a very good app.

that an "undo" button needs to be added goes without saying - I'm a little surprised the play testing didn't highlight this

Cracking game though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hecox
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Game Reviewer
badge
Help, I can't stop laughing.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:
It is an atrocity that they didn't include this. One single accident and an entire game could ruined. That could be hours wasted.

No, calling this an atrocity is hyperbole.

The app includes a message center to review old messages. Why the need for an undo button?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some skills checks you only get one attempt at - e.g. roll Agility to catch this falling vase. If you accidentally click 'Input' rather than the + symbol for the 3 successes you rolled, the game will accept your 0 successes, the vase will smash, and there's no way to go back and tell the app you made a mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
possumman wrote:
Some skills checks you only get one attempt at - e.g. roll Agility to catch this falling vase. If you accidentally click 'Input' rather than the + symbol for the 3 successes you rolled, the game will accept your 0 successes, the vase will smash, and there's no way to go back and tell the app you made a mistake.

Yep. And I've mistakenly clicked on "No investigators within range" instead of "Monster attacks" (because I didn't pay attention to which monster was activating), so an Undo button would be a fail-safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
That's exactly what happened to us last night. One of us was pointing out that the app said "in range" just as the player with the mouse thought he was clicking there was nobody in the space. Without an Undo button, we just had to play on. The win we had will always have an asterisk next to it in our heads, as we know we missed out on one attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.