1 , 2  Next »   | 

Cry Havoc» Forums » Rules

Subject: HQ as a Region rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan McKinney
msg tools
mb
The rulebook establishes that structures and crystals may have no effect on HQs or be placed into them. Despite this, there are still some gray areas, at least among myself and my friends.

There is an event token that removes one unit from each player that controls a region with 4+ units. In two of our games we drew this event on the very first turn of the game. Do we remove a unit from our HQ?

Does the Regroup tactics card allow us to move units from our HQ if it's adjacent?

If the HQ is our only adjacent region when retreating from battle, do our units go there?

Can you re-enter your own HQ using movement points?

I think that covers the questions we had during our games. Big ups to Grant and Portal again! I've gotten non-gamers interested in it after just one game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also like to know if the HQ is a region. There is a card which give you points for each region with your control marker in it, does the HQ count here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HQs are Regions.

You cannot construct Buildings or place Crystals into HQ Regions.

qklilx wrote:
There is an event token that removes one unit from each player that controls a region with 4+ units. In two of our games we drew this event on the very first turn of the game. Do we remove a unit from our HQ?

Yes you would remove the unit from your HQ, if it is the only Region you have units in when that event resolves.

qklilx wrote:
Does the Regroup tactics card allow us to move units from our HQ if it's adjacent?

Yes

qklilx wrote:
If the HQ is our only adjacent region when retreating from battle, do our units go there?

Yes

qklilx wrote:
Can you re-enter your own HQ using movement points?

You can, but I don't know why you would except upon retreat. Remember you cannot move into an opponent's HQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
I would also like to know if the HQ is a region. There is a card which give you points for each region with your control marker in it, does the HQ count here?

Yes, you count your HQ when scoring with Occupation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the very consistent reaponse

You might want to retreat one dude into your HQ to avoid being taken captive. This also happens to be highly thematic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McKinney
msg tools
mb
Thank you.

As for moving into my HQ, I recently did so for two reasons:

1. To avoid a Trog token while I moved guys into a Machine-controlled region.

2. I left one unit in the HQ to imply that I had Regroup in my hand, or other plans for the following action. I fizzled one movement point for this strategy.

I won the game due to this and one other battle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qklilx wrote:
Thank you.

As for moving into my HQ, I recently did so for two reasons:

1. To avoid a Trog token while I moved guys into a Machine-controlled region.

2. I left one unit in the HQ to imply that I had Regroup in my hand, or other plans for the following action. I fizzled one movement point for this strategy.

I won the game due to this and one other battle!

Point two makes sense, but I don't follow point one. How does moving a figure into your headquarters avoid a Trog token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McKinney
msg tools
mb
It was a 2-player game and we were skirting the outer regions. Some of the inner regions had double Trog tokens waiting. I had a choice of fighting a horde of Trogs with 4 guys or attacking a lone Machine with 3 (and leaving one in the HQ for backup in case of Shred Drones).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Could Orbital Sniper kill a unit in HQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brunogaia wrote:

UPDATE: I just confirmed with Portal I was incorrect here. My apologies.

By and large, the HQ rules are simple:

1. Cannot add Crystals there
2. Cannot build structures there
3. Cannot move into an opponent's
4. (New) Cannot kill an opponent's Units in HQ

Otherwise, treat them as a Region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
brunogaia wrote:

Yes. By and large, the HQ rules are simple:

1. Cannot add Crystals there
2. Cannot build structures there
3. Cannot move into an opponent's

Otherwise, treat them as a Region.

Hi Grant, can I trouble you to verify this with Portal? I wrote email to Portal about Orbital Sniper on enemy's unit in HQ, the reply was no. No killing of units in HQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Grant, just want to clarify. I really don't care how's the ruling as along as there is an official stance on this.

Personally I thought yes, based on rules as written. And I was puzzled when Portal told me no. But that's alright. I can understand if they want to rule "no killing of HQ units by enemy"... But it is okay to kill your own HQ units (e.g. Trog default skill).

Having said that, appreciate if you can kindly reach out to Portal to help us clarify on this point.

If the ruling is yes, Machine can snipe enemy's units in HQ, I'd probably have to rewrite an important part of my review. I feel this will make Machine very powerful. Which in my opinion, is a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxixe wrote:
Hi Grant, just want to clarify. I really don't care how's the ruling as along as there is an official stance on this.

Personally I thought yes, based on rules as written. And I was puzzled when Portal told me no. But that's alright. I can understand if they want to rule "no killing of HQ units by enemy"... But it is okay to kill your own HQ units (e.g. Trog default skill).

Having said that, appreciate if you can kindly reach out to Portal to help us clarify on this point.

If the ruling is yes, Machine can snipe enemy's units in HQ, I'd probably have to rewrite an important part of my review. I feel this will make Machine very powerful. Which in my opinion, is a good thing.

There is nothing in the Rulebook or F.A.Q. that would prevent Orbital Sniper from targeting an enemy unit in their HQ.

The HQ is a region, it is a non-battle region, it can contain units. Orbital Sniper targets a single unit in a non-battle region. If Portal wants to errata this building they should make an official announcement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxixe wrote:

My apologies, I was wrong. You cannot kill an enemy Unit via Orbital sniper. I have updated my answer above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
maxixe wrote:

My apologies, I was wrong. You cannot kill an enemy Unit via Orbital sniper. I have updated my answer above.

Hi Grant, is there a reason that this is neither in the rulebook or F.A.Q?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
maxixe wrote:

The intent of HQ is that it is a safe place. I will ask that it be included in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
-snip-

Hi Grant, thanks for helping to clarify. There is no need to apologize at all. You have been absolutely amazing in your communications with the BGG community. As James and I thought, the rules as stated did not mention this at all. We just have to wait for Portal to release the next version of FAQ. And I can't wait for your strategy guide! The other day I just realized another new tactic. This game has such a fun heuristic tree to climb!

Thanks again Grant. I look forward to your next project

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
jmathias wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
maxixe wrote:

The intent of HQ is that it is a safe place. I will ask that it be included in the FAQ.

Thanks Grant! Thematically it makes perfect sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McKinney
msg tools
mb
Exactly why I started the thread. Glad it's answering important questions.

I can see a future rulebook/FAQ having a section dedicated exclusively to the HQ rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in a nutshell: the game can do stuff to bit on your HQ, but not other players (plus the previously mentioned no building, no crystals, etc)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played this the other day we ruled that you wouldn't be able to kill an enemy unit in their HQ. We argued that the HQ is a protected area so how would it be possible to use Orbital sniper if they were all inside the HQ "building"? Also, because of defenses that a faction would have set up (thematically) how could an enemy breach these defenses and kill a unit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad-Halfling wrote:
So, in a nutshell: the game can do stuff to bit on your HQ, but not other players (plus the previously mentioned no building, no crystals, etc)?

There's an Event that can hit you there, and a Trog player can kill their own Units in an HQ for Skills, but your opponents cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McKinney
msg tools
mb
HerrohGrant wrote:
There's an Event that can hit you there, and a Trog player can kill their own Units in an HQ for Skills, but your opponents cannot.

When that event comes up on turn one I usually think of it like an earthquake that shook a bunch of shelves that landed on a guy. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.