$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
Marcus Aurelius
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I understand the rules state damage is always distributed by the owner of the ships who are being damaged unless the cards specifies, but I was just puzzled about how weak this card would be if it only was removing a fighter for one command token - and wanted to make sure.

Minister of War is the one in question, but I bet there are more cards that can add automatic hits. So does the owner of the Minister of War by any chance choose the target of his hit ?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, it's just a single hit for a Command Counter.

That's why Minister of War is one of the many do-nothing political cards to get cut in the Removing Political Chaff variant, the single best thing you can do to improve your games of TI3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right that on the whole it's a very weak card; however it can be crucial in small scale skirmishes. Suddenly a tense 2 cruisers v 2 cruisers fight to decide who controls the wormhole can be almost guaranteed for the cost of a command counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, but that's Best Case Scenario logic. An average game of TI3 is only going to have 5 or 6 voting phases. You want that handful of cards to be interesting, game changing, worth debating over. Cards that require the stars be aligned to have relevance are going to be clutter in the majority of their games.

I've played over 50 games of TI3 using the linked variant, and there is simply no contest. The game is better with a thinned political deck. There are only 1 or 2 cards that I've come to disagree with and include back in the game over the past 5 years. The difference it makes is staggering; going back to play with an unmodified deck [such as at a convention] cements it only further as every other card drawn has the whole table shrug before going through the motions on voting with no enthusiasm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.