GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,876 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

The Great Zimbabwe» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 quetions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dsd
msg tools
badge
mb
---is there is a scenario where you actually have to pay 1 (any odd number) for using hubs? you will always have to pay 2,4,6.. (for going and going back) it feels wierd that the rules say "1 cattle".

---when setting the game, can the start tile be rotated freely or dos it have to be a set place, it doesnt say so..

---in the semi final page of the rules, under "Gu: the master craftsman", what does a VR rebate mean... does he lose Victory require ment if he already had tech? can someone give an example

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
No, hubs only require payment for when you use them. There is no going forth and back over the same hub, although the same hub can be used more than once for the transportation of primary, secondary, and tertiary resources to their destination. Take the simplest example for use of a hub:

[tree] - [ ] - [level 1 carver] - [ ] - [ ] - [hub] - [ ] - [ ] - [level 1 monument]

There may never be a distance of more than 3 between primary resource and the craftsman requiring it. In the above example the distance is 2, so that's okay. But the level 1 monument is at a greater distance than 3 away from the carver, so he needs a hub to get his simple mask (= a secondary resource) to the monument in order to raise the monument's level to 2. Said mask only goes through the hub once, so there's only a single payment of 1 cattle. The monument doesn't send something back: it simply absorbs the resource and gains a disc.

(Before I forget: the grid determining distance is 'visible' through the craftsmen tiles even though these tiles physically cover it, so you may have to 'walk through' a tile in order to get goods where you need them. Only bodies of water genuinely alter distance.)

Starting tile can be oriented every which way.

As for Gu, well, what the description says. Your VR goes up every time you purchase a craftsman with the value depicted on the card you get. Upon acquiring Gu the VR values are retro-actively reset at 1, whilst all new craftsmen cause your VR to increase by 1 irrespective of the value on the cards. Example: You have a vessel maker with VR + 3. Then you get Gu. Your VR disc backs up 3 - 1 = 2 places. This property makes Gu very useful, and thus also very annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dsdjpofjs wrote:
---is there is a scenario where you actually have to pay 1 (any odd number) for using hubs? you will always have to pay 2,4,6.. (for going and going back) it feels wierd that the rules say "1 cattle".

I don't understand the question, why do you think it costs 2 or more to use a hub? It's always 1.

Dsdjpofjs wrote:
---when setting the game, can the start tile be rotated freely or dos it have to be a set place, it doesnt say so..

It doesn't matter. Set that tile down first, then randomize all other tiles (rotating them too), and then set them down around the start tile.

Dsdjpofjs wrote:
---in the semi final page of the rules, under "Gu: the master craftsman", what does a VR rebate mean... does he lose Victory require ment if he already had tech? can someone give an example

The lower VR cost is retroactive. So you get the rebate as soon as he becomes your tribe's god.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shush Ruth
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

You only have to pay 1 cattle to use one hub. The wording in the rulebook is a little confusing. Hubs just determine the range - do NOT read it as "I have to walk from the monument to the craftsman and then back to the monument!".

Quote:

It can be freely rotated. The rules do not specify a particular orientation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dsd
msg tools
badge
mb
cymric wrote:
Example: You have a vessel maker with VR + 3. Then you get Gu. Your VR disc backs up 3 - 1 = 2 places. This property makes Gu very useful, and thus also very annoying.

So Gu is another way to reduce the VR, Thank you very much for taking time to answer

Jesse Custer wrote:

I don't understand the question, why do you think it costs 2 or more to use a hub? It's always 1.

shruthless wrote:
Hubs just determine the range - do NOT read it as "I have to walk from the monument to the craftsman and then back to the monument!".

the example in rules is VERY confusing but i will clarify

The Red player used the green hub TWICE, one to go and one to back

here the red player uses his own hub ONCE (can you use your own hub?)

----------

By the way i want to thank you all.. for taking time to answer my questions i really appreciate your help/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Dsdjpofjs wrote:

You can upload these images into your personal gallery (without going through GeekMod). That way they will be available for as long as BGG exists. But where are you getting these examples from? Their layout does not correspond to any example in the rulebook that I can find. The first example makes little sense to begin with because of the lack of hin and forth over hubs. The second example has the arrows drawn in a confusing way, so ignore them for now. Also assume the red disc is a level 1 monument. Then reason as follows:

— The tertiary resource for purple is out on the board, so a monument will require that.
— To produce that tertiary resource, the master craftsman (= the 2x2 square for this colour) needs 1 primary resource and 1 secondary resource. The primary resource is located immediately to his right, within the maximum distance of 3. So that's a ✔. Where to get the secondary resource?
— Well, there's a different 1x2 crafstman in the upper right of the board who can supply it. That craftsman requires 1 primary resource to make what he needs... and lo and behold, there's a primary resource immediately to his left. Pay the guy, and add another ✔.
— But now to get the secondary resource to the master craftsman. That requires the use of a hub. Follow the turquoise arrows to the hub and pay 1 cattle, then move along the two diagonal pink ones to the master craftsman. Hey, that guy's got what he needs! Pay the guy to produce, and add another ✔.
Now the master craftsman simply needs to reach the monument, so he does that by simply walking back to the 'hub' over the pink arrows. Monument / hub goes to level 2. Done ✔✔✔✔!!!

In short, the green arrows can safely be ignored. They're not useful, nor necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dsd
msg tools
badge
mb
cymric wrote:
Dsdjpofjs wrote:

You can upload these images into your personal gallery (without going through GeekMod). That way they will be available for as long as BGG exists. But where are you getting these examples from? Their layout does not correspond to any example in the rulebook that I can find. The first example makes little sense to begin with because of the lack of hin and forth over hubs.

no need to upload to bgg

these 2 example i made up to explain.

but the one in rulebook uses twice so no difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Plenty of difference. The rulebook is explaining the case where a level 2-monument is upgraded to level 3. That requires 2 different secondary or tertiary resources, depending on what is out on the board. For a level 3-monument you need 3 different secondary or tertiary resources, and so forth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.