Jason McIntosh
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an excerpt from my cable access TV show and podcast, "The Gameshelf", where we review Citadels and play a game in the studio. It runs about seven and a half minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
I rather like Talisman
badge
The Wanderer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the linkage Jason.

I've recently got hold of Citadels as it looked like a fun game to start out with to expand my playing experiences and your review has certainly given me a taste of what I can expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed this review. It's great to see these quick video reviews. I like seeing the game in action with the multiple players. It's something you don't get from Board Games With Scott. (No dis on Scott meant, I love BGWS.)

One thing about video reviews in general if I may. I'm very tempted to criticize the video itself rather than the takes of it's reviewers, and I feel that I shouldn't be tempted thus. I think this means that your video needs a bit more polish. Normally I would not criticize the writing in a text review, but I do feel so compelled by this video review. I think it's because there is a certain level of polish expected with video because of how much we've all been exposed to it in our lives. I think it would be something to aspire to in such reviews.

My criticism would mainly have to do with delivery of speech from the two hosts and of the around-the-table talk (obviously a much less minor point for this). On the plus side, I love the edits between actual game play and game play description, the close ups of the components, the use of backgrounds and color, and the structural seqence of the review (the end sequence is very much like Siskel and Ebert...a good thing).

I really look forward to viewing more of these!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McIntosh
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gabe, I'm delighted at the Siskel and Ebert comparison; that show was one of my core models when we first started designing this show a couple of years ago, both in the host dialogue and in the way clips of game play are presented.

BGWS and The Gameshelf have different styles and goals, and I'm glad that the difference there shines through as well. As a matter of fact, Scott and I are experimenting with collaboration for the next Gameshelf, which should appear sometime in May. It should be fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.