Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: Replayability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: clydeiii_complaining_about_pandemic [+] [View All]
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Is there any?

Do you have to scratch off the stickers and replace them or is that it once they're done?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can scratch of all the stickers and if you kept certain cards instead of destroying them, you can play regular Pandemic on the board. But yes, be "default" after a maximum of 24 plays the game is "done".

I did however quiet enjoy playing on our modified board a modified version of Pandemic with my boyfriend after the campaign was over and enjoy it as a somewhat of a personal variant to the normal Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Destroy cards? WTF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:
Destroy cards? WTF?

Is this a serious question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Estall
United Kingdom
Bisley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:
Destroy cards? WTF?

You might want to read the full description of the game here on BGG:

"During the campaign, new rules and components will be introduced. These will sometimes require you to permanently alter the components of the game; this includes writing on cards, ripping up cards, and placing permanent stickers on components. Your characters can gain new skills, or detrimental effects. A character can even be lost entirely, at which point it's no longer available for play."

It's an amazing game, but to get the full experience you have to be prepared to make permanent changes to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
davidestall wrote:
ghost whistler wrote:
Destroy cards? WTF?

"During the campaign, new rules and components will be introduced. These will sometimes require you to permanently alter the components of the game; this includes writing on cards, ripping up cards, and placing permanent stickers on components. Your characters can gain new skills, or detrimental effects. A character can even be lost entirely, at which point it's no longer available for play."

It's an amazing game, but to get the full experience you have to be prepared to make permanent changes to it.
What a load of hogwash. Why on earth would they need cards to be destroyed, just discard them, put them back in the box ffs?

Making changes is fine, but why not allow for those changes to be removed in the fashion of a wipeboard?

No, the idea sounds great, but this is absurd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Estall
United Kingdom
Bisley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, to get the best experience, I'd recommend doing the following:

1. Don't do too much research into the game. In particular, stay clear of any forum discussions that include spoilers, and don't look at the game's image gallery; some of the photos really show too much.

2. Find a group of people who will sign up to playing the entire campaign with you. It's really important that you all experience the story arc and its surprises at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Estall
United Kingdom
Bisley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:
Why on earth would they need cards to be destroyed, just discard them, put them back in the box ffs?

Making changes is fine, but why not allow for those changes to be removed in the fashion of a wipeboard?

This is the fundamental idea behind the Legacy series of games; you will make permanent changes to the game every time you play it, some of which involve destroying cards. Remember, there are other permanent changes too, including writing on the board, adding stickers etc. What this means is that - at the end of the campaign - your version of the game will be slightly different to everyone else, because of the decisions you made and the events that occurred.

If you don't like this idea (and many don't) then you can avoid destroying cards, and find some way to get around the other permanent changes, but I think you'll miss out on some of the emotional journey built into the game's design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:
Destroy cards? WTF?

It's actually a lot funner than it sounds. You *know* you are making changes to the game that can't be undone so it really makes you stop and think if this is the best course of action, etc.

The game is an easy 10 - so much fun in one box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
davidestall wrote:
ghost whistler wrote:
Why on earth would they need cards to be destroyed, just discard them, put them back in the box ffs?

This is the fundamental idea behind the Legacy series of games; you will make permanent changes to the game every time you play it, some of which involve destroying cards. Remember, there are other permanent changes too, including writing on the board, adding stickers etc. What this means is that - at the end of the campaign - your version of the game will be slightly different to everyone else, because of the decisions you made and the events that occurred.

If you don't like this idea (and many don't) then you can avoid destroying cards, and find some way to get around the other permanent changes, but I think you'll miss out on some of the emotional journey built into the game's design.
I understand that, but i'm certainly not paying fifty quid for a one shot experience. Crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Estall
United Kingdom
Bisley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:
I understand that, but i'm certainly not paying fifty quid for a one shot experience. Crazy.

I get that, but look at it this way. You'll play on average 18 games in the campaign, each game taking about 2 hours to play. So that's £1.40 per hour, or 35p per person for a 4-player campaign. If you get a group of players to sign up for the entire campaign, they might even agree to split the cost of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
The price of Pandemic Legacy is in the same ballpark as the price for four people to go and watch a movie.

I know which I'd rather do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
davidestall wrote:
ghost whistler wrote:

I get that, but look at it this way. You'll play on average 18 games in the campaign, each game taking about 2 hours to play. So that's £1.40 per hour, or 35p per person for a 4-player campaign. If you get a group of players to sign up for the entire campaign, they might even agree to split the cost of the game.
i don't value games like that. I could never buy a one shot experience in this way, it's a shame because this is a terrible oversight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not an oversight, it's intentional.

The whole thing with the game is the experience and anticipation. Playing the campaign a second time would lose that element. The game was not designed with that in mind. Of course, that won't appeal to everyone, but fortunately almost every other game out there doesn't require you to do stuff that you personally might find abhorrent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'one shot' of playing a full campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidestall wrote:
ghost whistler wrote:
Destroy cards? WTF?

I loved the game but ripping up cards is unnecessary; we just tossed them back in the box under the insert in case we wanted to see them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:
davidestall wrote:
ghost whistler wrote:

i don't value games like that. I could never buy a one shot experience in this way, it's a shame because this is a terrible oversight.

I understand if you don't and that is ok.
But I`ll give you my advice...
I`m not a legacy player, so I had the same wonders as you do now. hence I thought and thought about it.
One night we went on vacation, was raining, run into a store, my bf said we wanted to try.. so lets see...

OMG! OMG! OMG! I`m in absolute love.. haven't even finish season 1 and already asking when s2 is coming. we started (still doing it) putting notes of what goes were and such to be able to play again if we want. But honestly if it wasn't for my bf I would have stop doing so. The "story" and experience of it is totally worth the 50us imo; and we have sooo many games that I doubt we could go to a second play before season 2 hit the shelves.

destroying the card is a practice that legacy players like, I don't have the heart to do so and i don't think is needed unless you enjoy the feeling

anyway.. enjoy..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, many games struggle to get the 12-24 plays Pandemic Legacy represents.

The main difference is that PL cuts you off after those games, while the games that don't get that much play allow more; they just don't give you enough reason to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Our 18 plays were full of thrills and surprises. Magnificent entertainment and great value for money throughout.

If you do it properly, it's impossible to play through it again. Actually, I have no desire to play through it again. In the same way, I wouldn't want to rub out a crossword puzzle and do it over again. PL Season 1 is very much about the journey that you share with your group.

We burnt everything after we finished.

Although he's pretty late to the party on this topic, the OP's views certainly aren't unique. Though perhaps he might reconsider how he values a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

Our 18 plays were full of thrills and surprises. Magnificent entertainment and great value for money throughout.

+1000

Its not, arguably, the #1 game in the world for no reason. I think the fact that is made it to the #1 spot despite having "replayability issues" speaks volumes about the game play.

There simply is nothing else like it on the planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidestall wrote:

I keep hearing this argument (that destroying the cards enhances the gameplay by ensuring permanence) but that implies that players simply couldn't resist going back and breaking the rules if the rules only told them to "discard a card under the box tray permanently." No destruction is necessary for the players to experience loss or permanence. It just seems a bit overdramatic to me

ghost whistler wrote:

Erm, why not? I've got a dozen games on my shelf with less than 4 plays. I bet you do as well. If a legacy game provides you with twice as many plays (or more) and novelty to boot, it's clearly well worth it.

Another thing to adjust to is that because this is a campaign and you, as the game's purchaser, won't have a "game" left over after the campaign is done, you need to value it differently with your group. Your group should all chip in to buy it. It should be $50/4=~$13 each. You don't ask your friends to pay you when they come over to play Agricola, because after they leave you still have a copy of agricola. But after this campaign, you won't have anything of significant value anymore, and they will all be playing it and getting the same experience as you, the host. So it's only fair that everybody pays for that experience together.

That way you're not paying 50 quid for a one shot experience, you're only paying 13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keillor
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're nearing the end of our first campaign and we all agreed we wanted to play again so I grabbed one from the Coolstuffinc sale. A couple minor things we got wrong that we'll pay attention to this time. Plus I can't wait to see the changes from our first campaign. Surprises will be gone, but then again we'll probably forget a few or when they appear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BSKeillor wrote:
We're nearing the end of our first campaign and we all agreed we wanted to play again so I grabbed one from the Coolstuffinc sale. A couple minor things we got wrong that we'll pay attention to this time. Plus I can't wait to see the changes from our first campaign. Surprises will be gone, but then again we'll probably forget a few or when they appear.

You mean like forgetting that *something* really big/important happens after the 2nd epidemic in January? Yup btdt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:

How exactly do you value them then?

The fact of the matter is, I played this game far more times than I've played most games that I own. How many times have you bought a game for $50-$100 and ended up only ever playing it 3 times? If that doesn't happen to you, I'd wager that you don't really buy very many games.

We just finished up the campaign on Saturday, and I think played about 18 times. I don't have any regrets about that, even knowing that I'll never use this set again. If I ever decide to play again with a new group, I'll likely just go buy a new copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got 35 plays logged for PL, that's because I did go out and buy a second set to play with another group, and both groups thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

If I take those 35 plays and look at my collection, only four games have more plays, if I split the two games (so at least 17 plays) I still only have seven games that I've played more often.

For me then, excellent value for money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.