Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sixth and seventh star at the same time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dirk Münzenmaier
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

i just found this forum today and needed to register immediately. I apologize if my english is bad(i'm from germany).

I just finished a Scythe game and ended up with taking a bottom row action for getting my last structure placed(for the 6th star). I also had the enlist star already so when i did the action i got my last popularity(by the enlist-field) point as well.

I know the game end instantly after the 6th star is placed. But in this case it seemed as i got the 6th and 7th star at the same time.

So what applies here? Do i get both stars for scoring or is the 7th star not taken?

I'm very thankful for all help to understanding the rules better =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can take the benefits of an action in any order you want, but they are not taken simultaneously.
So you need to decide if you want to take the enlist bonus before getting the building or the other way around. Depending on which you pick you will either not get the building or not get the popularity.

I think choosing the building is always the better option, but may be wrong about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
dinopron wrote:
Hey guys,

i just found this forum today and needed to register immediately. I apologize if my english is bad(i'm from germany).

I just finished a Scythe game and ended up with taking a bottom row action for getting my last structure placed(for the 6th star). I also had the enlist star already so when i did the action i got my last popularity(by the enlist-field) point as well.

I know the game end instantly after the 6th star is placed. But in this case it seemed as i got the 6th and 7th star at the same time.

So what applies here? Do i get both stars for scoring or is the 7th star not taken?

I think you are playing a rule wrong. You don't get the enlist bonus when you do the action; you get it when one of your neighbors does the action.

Edit: nevermind. I totally had that rule wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only place 6 stars and that's the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paedia wrote:
I think you are playing a rule wrong. You don't get the enlist bonus when you do the action; you get it when one of your neighbors does the action.

Nope. When You AND/OR a neighbor does the action.
We played that wrong as well the first time and thought only when one of my neighbours does it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dinopron wrote:
Hey guys,

The game only has 6 star tokens per player.

You can't place a seventh, because you do not have a seventh token to place.

The game ends immediately when a 6th star is placed, so even if you had a seventh marker you could not place it as the game has already ended.

rulebook pg 28 wrote:
The game immediately ends when a player places their 6th star token, even if they have other things they could do that turn or other things would happen afterwards.

The game doesn't allow you to place more than 6 stars.

rulebook pg 27 wrote:
STRATEGY TIP: You can’t place more than 6 stars, so it’s generally better to focus on completing 6 speci c goals than trying to do a little of everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paedia wrote:

Yes, you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paedia wrote:

Rules, pg 20

Quote:
For the rest of the game, whenever you or the player to your immediate left or right (these players are shown in the icon in the red circle) take the bottom-row action in the section of the Player Mat from which the recruit was taken, you gain the speci ed bonus. Top-row actions or a similar action on a Factory card (see Factory section, page 25) do not count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
Khonnor wrote:
paedia wrote:

We played that wrong as well the first time and thought only when one of my neighbours does it.

Yup, just checked the rules and was totally playing that rule wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Khonnor wrote:
paedia wrote:

ZOWIE! 3 1/2 games in and we've totally been playing that wrong. Not sure how I missed that, it's even on the quick reference. modestcrygulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, we we getting that wrong as well, we were also playing that it was only when your neighbours took the action!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several ways of getting more than 6 stars - if there would be more than 6 star tokens.
For example, if you have placed 5 stars and move into three combats - since all combats are still carried out, even if the 6th star was already placed.
Theoretically Saxony could reach 9 stars - two with movements and then objectives DURING the turn, 3 more with following combats.

But as it was already mentioned - there are only 6 token, and you cannot place more than 6 stars. It's the same as one cannot build more than 4 mechs, or more than 8 workers - it's a limitation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elmo Telmonen
msg tools
Almecho wrote:

For example, if you have placed 5 stars and move into three combats - since all combats are still carried out, even if the 6th star was already placed.

Actually, the game ends as soon as the combat that produced the 6:th star ends. I don't have the rulebook here with me now but I can confirm this when I get home. But I'm pretty sure it mentions that if the game ends on first combat, the rest of the movements are cancelled and the mechs that were moved to other areas for combat return to their starting points.
For example, you move 3 mechs to areas with enemy but then you get the 6:th start from first battle, you then need to move the two other mechs back to their starting locations.

Edit: I checked the rules now.
Page 28. [If you have gotten your 6:th star (from combat)] "If you have units (character, mechs or workers) remaining on a territory with an opponent's units (from a Move action) you must undo that portion of your move action, returning the unit(s) to the territory they moved from".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Münzenmaier
Germany
flag msg tools
thanks for all the replies. That makes sense. =)

Quote:
The game only has 6 star tokens per player.

You can't place a seventh, because you do not have a seventh token to place.

Actually, i do have 7 stars for the faction i've played. I thought it's probably a replacement token if one gets lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Niggel
msg tools
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
I think choosing the building is always the better option, but may be wrong about that.

As far as I can tell, there's no opportunity for popularity to be the better choice. Going one step up to maximum will not increase your score multiplier. Adding a structure could increase your score if you can place it on the board in a way that improves your structure bonus. It won't improve your score otherwise, though—you can't claim new territory or immediately gain resources this way.

If you can't improve your structure bonus, it doesn't matter which you choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.