Popular Tags: [View All]
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This information is spread throughout many forum threads, so I decided to consolidate it here.

Problem: Human skill combo Scouting + Occupation is overpowered.

In 2 player games the combo is overpowered. It allows the Human player to shorten the game by 1 round, control 3 to 5 territories, and score up to 20 points within their first 3 actions. There is little the other player can do to stop or prevent this.

In a 3 player game this combo is still frustratingly powerful, and can be consistently pulled off. Fortunately, the other 2 players can prevent it a good portion of the time by teaming up and pushing in on the Human player. This however is not a fun, exploratory, or interesting way to play. It is very scripted.

In a 4 player game the combo is still potent, but a lot harder to pull off consistently. The other players don't need to focus their energies on stopping it.

This combo is OP because of Scouting. As written Scouting allows the Human faction to take Region control without moving any miniatures. No other faction has anything comparable in terms of action efficiency.

Variant Options:

I recommend only using these variants in 2 and 3 player games, as the combo is not consistent enough in a 4 player game to make it OP.

1.) Play only with Default skills.
- I find this way of playing to be very balanced, and tight, with more paths to victory.

2.) Remove Scouting from card pool before randomly selecting 1 or 2 additional skill cards, for Experienced and Veteran game modes.
- This allows you to add in more skill options, for more advanced and interesting games, without inadvertently giving the other faction(s) a severe handicap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Much much appreciated. Can't wait for them to deliver it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A very simple way of a fix without the need to change any wording.

The simpler, the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who agrees with the combo being OP (DISCLAIMER : I have only played 3 games) this seems like a very simple fix.

You don't think it will make scouting useless though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
As someone who agrees with the combo being OP (DISCLAIMER : I have only played 3 games) this seems like a very simple fix.

You don't think it will make scouting useless though?

This makes Scouting useless in as so much that it's not used in this variant.

In order for Scouting to become not useless the publisher would need to issue a new power for the card. They already issued errata for the card, but it doesn't stop the combo, just slightly tweaks it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Clark
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where would I find this errata you say they released? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casinatorcxc wrote:
Where would I find this errata you say they released? Thanks in advance!

In the official FAQ in the files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.