BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Fantasy/miniatures game for a 5 years old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathieu L.
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi,

I have a kid (almost 5 years), and I search game that we could play with him. We already have simple board games for his age, but I search something older for him.

I'm not sure if what I search even exist. I've just restarted to play boardgame (after a pause of 20 years) and I'm bit overwhelmed by all the choices

-He can't read yet
-We read him Lone Wolf gamebook and he really liked it, so he like fantasy stuff.
-Something with dice and attack move / Health point would be nice
-He doesn't need to understand all the rules by himself, one parent would always help him play his turn.
-Ideally the game length need to be short.
-Something like Hero Quest with miniatures and simple rules
-Something in the Star Wars universe would be nice too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Get him Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game and strip out the upgrades. Make it all about the more generic pilots and I think you'll have what you're looking for.

Also look at Mice and Mystics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu L.
Canada
flag msg tools
MOTHDevil wrote:
Get him Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game and strip out the upgrades. Make it all about the more generic pilots and I think you'll have what you're looking for.

Oh I thought both of those were too complex, I'll recheck. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you an find it heroscape might be OK.

Also Spacehulk, if you are willing to fork out or it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

Mice and Mystics and X-wing are far too complex for my relatively game-experienced 5 year old. But Krosmaster Junior has been pretty successful and has really cool miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu L.
Canada
flag msg tools
slatersteven wrote:

Heroscape seems to be exacaly what I want, too bad it's discontinued

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The D&D board game series:

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game

While Heroscape is discontinued, Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers uses a similar game system and is quite affordable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu L.
Canada
flag msg tools
Tikatoy wrote:

I bought a used copy of D&D Wrath of Ashardalon but I thought it was too complex for him, I'll try it with him after tried it.

I think I'll buy Magic since Heroscape seem to be really expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For easy roll and move gameplay, I suggest Chaostle. The game play is easy, it has minis and it has the most beautiful 3D castle I have ever seen!

I bought it one year ago for my son's first board game and he loved it (still plays it even now!). Contact the publisher directly to get the game, and you might get free international shipping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkpixel wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Heroscape seems to be exacaly what I want, too bad it's discontinued :(
Keep an eye on ebay, but it aint all that cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Hordes of the Things - my kids started playing this at about 7 or 8, I think, with simplified rules (at least, not using all the troop types). But to be honest for a 5 year old I would just make up my own game using whatever figures I had to hand - even lego blocks and just let him have fun rolling dice and blowing things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Packwood
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Dungeon!

I havent tried it yet as my daughter is a few years off, but picked it up in anticipation based on others comments and reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs on the head.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
These suggestions seem much too complex.

A homebrew set would be a good fit. I would start with these simple half page minis rules D&D Miniatures Quick Rules. Adapt them to whatever figures you have (i.e. Star Wars). If the kid doesn't do numbers, use color dot dice instead and apply the equivalent results (example: if figure hits on a five or six, say he has to roll red or blue to get a hit).

Start with a few figures each and play on a chess board (adjust movement and range down) or chalk out a grid on a larger play area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkpixel wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:

To clarify, both of these are going to require stripping out things, but the base rules and formats of both games should be ok, assuming your child has some help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While you might find the themes inappropriate for a child, I found that Mansions of Madness: Second Edition was a *huge* hit with my 4 year old. We played just the two of us, with my (obviously) doing all the reading.

He had a great time, running around and punching things. The app integration really kept his attention too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
Darkpixel wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:

To clarify, both of these are going to require stripping out things, but the base rules and formats of both games should be ok, assuming your child has some help.

Mice and Mystics is one we play in our house and I think my 4 year old is going to request tonight. It's helped that I took the time to paint the little mouse mini's and they're all cuti-fied. She can't read yet but I can explain "Okay it's your turn, you can a, b or c. What do you want to do?" She gets to pick and off we go. She's done it enough that I have her figure out how many dice to roll and she rolls and counts her swords/ shields/ cheese.

I can see stripping out rules for some if you don't want to do all the work of managing them for the kid. That makes total sense and the game can work really well simplified.

I would say the same about the DND board games. If you do all the reading and play it with a "here are your choices, what do you pick"? mindset it can be fun.

I think that the nature of the hidden orders makes XWing a little harder to get into though if you commit your own orders first, you are better positioned to help a child figure out where they want to go and then help them count out the dice to make the attack/ defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MURPHY
United States
LITTLETON
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:

Mice and Mystics and X-wing are far too complex for my relatively game-experienced 5 year old. But Krosmaster Junior has been pretty successful and has really cool miniatures.

My mind just got blown by you suggesting Krosmaster (which i had never heard of! Not saying I know many games). I watched the playthrough video and really enjoy how you can add rules which each scenario as she "masters" one set of rules she add complexity. Plus, i know she will love the components! Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Lox
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MrOsterman wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:
Darkpixel wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:

Mice and Mystics is one we play in our house and I think my 4 year old is going to request tonight. It's helped that I took the time to paint the little mouse mini's and they're all cuti-fied. She can't read yet but I can explain "Okay it's your turn, you can a, b or c. What do you want to do?" She gets to pick and off we go. She's done it enough that I have her figure out how many dice to roll and she rolls and counts her swords/ shields/ cheese.

I can see stripping out rules for some if you don't want to do all the work of managing them for the kid. That makes total sense and the game can work really well simplified.

I would say the same about the DND board games. If you do all the reading and play it with a "here are your choices, what do you pick"? mindset it can be fun.

I think that the nature of the hidden orders makes XWing a little harder to get into though if you commit your own orders first, you are better positioned to help a child figure out where they want to go and then help them count out the dice to make the attack/ defense.

I have 5, 7, and 9 year old kids and we also play Mice and Mystics. There is just enough story to spark their imagination. The 5 year old probably enjoys it the most as he requests it any chance he gets. He can't read yet, but he is good with numbers. It's easy to strip away a bit of complexity and make it an enjoyable game for the young ones. Most of the Mice and Mystics complexity is in the setup, the combat is pretty straight forward. All I would recommend is removing some of the more complicated and wordy ability cards and stick with the simpler ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason R
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More of an pen and paper rpg but No Thank You, Evil! is geared toward kids and I find it a lot of fun with my 5 yr old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Cantrell
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jr4417 wrote:
More of an pen and paper rpg but No Thank You, Evil! is geared toward kids and I find it a lot of fun with my 5 yr old.

Glad to see this recommended. My boy is still a few years off from being ready for it but I've already got it on my Amazon wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Gillespie
Canada
Strathmore
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In response to the X-Wing posts, the Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing uses the same system, has gorgeous dragon minis, and can similarly use a simplified rulest. My 8 year old picked it up easily, and his 6 year old brother wants to play it too.

I agree that mice and mystics would be too hard. I tried it with my kids a couple years ago, and it ended up me walking them through the entire thing, and gave up midway through the third scenario.

An RPG that they really liked was Hero Kids. They really liked coloring in their character sheets and the simple rules worked great.

The standees in King of Tokyo are basically minis, and even young kids can enjoy that one if they don't mind player elimination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The big difference is that for the Dungeons and Dragons game, which yes is gorgeous and yes uses the same flight path system, is that the makers gated a lot of their content behind Organized Play prizes and the secondary eBay market. Yes you can get the coolest powers to use, but you either have to go to tournaments, or hit up eBay to find people selling the prizes. It is also a game that the makers ~appear~ to be done updating.

I don't highly recommend getting into it unless you only want a few pieces and even then I'd go used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics would be amazing, based on your description!

It's fully co-operative. Discussing "who should go get the ---- and who should fight?" can easily give the child agency while you guide them to some success. My boy at 6 insisted on getting Filch's prehensile tail early and loved the helmet that prevents Stun and kept keeping it, neither of which were ideal choices, but the movement and combat are well within a keen 5 year old's ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Libůrek Nývltů
Czech Republic
Praha 13
Česká republika
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drako or Raptor; both "tested" on my 4 year old. They´re basicly "beta" versions (without any negative connotations) of the more complex game here mentioned above. Nice miniatures, few rules, quick to play. And yet deep on strategy, but if you play like against child and not to just win, than you´re OK. If he likes it, than try the other ones, but they´re more expensive and on a lenghty side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Gillespie
Canada
Strathmore
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrOsterman wrote:
The big difference is that for the Dungeons and Dragons game, which yes is gorgeous and yes uses the same flight path system, is that the makers gated a lot of their content behind Organized Play prizes and the secondary eBay market. Yes you can get the coolest powers to use, but you either have to go to tournaments, or hit up eBay to find people selling the prizes. It is also a game that the makers ~appear~ to be done updating.

I don't highly recommend getting into it unless you only want a few pieces and even then I'd go used.

Noted, but for the purposes indicated, I don't think it would be much of an issue. It might even be an incentive, if retailers are offering discounts to try and get the product moving. I got the starter set with three dragons for $20, and another dragon for half price, and until my son starts asking for more, I don't feel the need to keep getting the figures. These "minis" are way bigger than any of the x-wing models, so having big armies would get crowded fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.