$30.00
David Foy
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb

Is this a good buy if you plan on only using RedJak's Automated Emperor Variant? I have read some comments on RedJak's variant and it sound like it is very good. Thanks for all your efforts RedJak looks great.

I am just looking to see what people think about the variant and if it could warrant purchasing this game to never play with the box overlord rules. My small group would not get this game to the table which is too bad.

I know that they will probably come out with an app like descent which I am now probably going to buy given peoples thoughts on that but I love star wars and this game looks great. If there was an app already I would buy this for sure.

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sammersam wrote:

Is this a good buy if you plan on only using RedJak's Automated Emperor Variant? I have read some comments on RedJak's variant and it sound like it is very good. Thanks for all your efforts RedJak looks great.

I am just looking to see what people think about the variant and if it could warrant purchasing this game to never play with the box overlord rules. My small group would not get this game to the table which is too bad.

I know that they will probably come out with an app like descent which I am now probably going to buy given peoples thoughts on that but I love star wars and this game looks great. If there was an app already I would buy this for sure.

Thanks in advance

I've heard very good things about the RedJack variant as well but have never played it.

Also FFG has confirmed a co-op app is in the works.

So basically if you like either idea then I would say this is definitely a game you should strongly consider purchasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sammersam wrote:

Thanks in advance

We've only played it coop using redjaks RAIV. worth every penny, it makes for some great gaming. We liked it so much we have gotten hoth and twin shadows as well!

It doesn't take long to figure out how to run the ai and it can give you a good challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:

That was unfortunately later retracted, so right now nobody knows what's happening. But here's still hoping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
thebaker1983 wrote:

That was unfortunately later retracted, so right now nobody knows what's happening. But here's still hoping!

WHAAAAAT??? cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
thebaker1983 wrote:

Just did a quick google search and can't find any reports of a retraction. Can you link to this terrible news? As of mid-August it appears it was still a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
Gawain wrote:
thebaker1983 wrote:

Just did a quick google search and can't find any reports of a retraction. Can you link to this terrible news? As of mid-August it appears it was still a go.

It wasn't a retraction. They just deleted the tweets they made about it at Gen Con, which indicated to some that there may have been an issue with them speaking too soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I believe there have been more recent interviews where the designers have talked about it. As far as I can tell, it's still on the table. I think they just don't want to speak too soon, until they have all their ducks in a row.

EDIT: Here's the the thread with a link to the interview:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1625991/interview-paul-winc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, app announced at GenCon!.

We don't know details about the app yet except FFG is working on it and it will be fun! It can be assumed to be more like the Descent app than the Mansions of Madness (2nd ed) app (which doesn't have the granularity for a game like IA), so probably will allow co-op/solo.

But, it will still be a long wait, so don't base any buying decisions on something that does not yet exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Foy
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
a1bert wrote:
Also, app announced at GenCon!.

don't base any buying decisions on something that does not yet exist.

Yeah, I don't want to base my decision on the possibility of an app that is for sure.

Anyone else out there who has used this variant extensively that can comment on if it is worth buying the game to play exclusively with the variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
A few threads from the 1-player guild:
Convince me Star Wars IA worth getting for solo? Sale on CSI.
Imperial Assault - Solo only
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
In my opinion it is, but I'm a Star Wars geek and so is my wife. She wont play if we play against each other, so the coop play has been great.
I have only played coop using redjacks rules and we have played 3 full campaigns from the core set only. we will be moving on to the twin shadows campaign soon and then on to Hoth and then, well you get the picture
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tested it out last week, actually, and found RedJak's variant for this game to be quite good - and even finds a better overall challenge and balance out of the box than the (also great) RAMV for Descent 2e that he designed.

Overall, I think the threat system and aggressive timers in Imperial Assault make for a game that fits better with a streamlined AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.