Subject: Optimize use of the Helm and Runestones rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J A
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hello fellow Andor enthusiasts!

I'm fairly new to the game and I thought I'd share some observations that I've made to date. They may seem obvious to some players, but here'goes anyway:

- The Helm is an object tailored for the Warrior and the Dwarf, and the Runestones is tailored for the Wizard.

- If the Wizard is in play and the heroes have uncovered the 3RS, the default choice should be to give them to the Wizard (i.e., most powerful combo is Wizard + 3RS)

- If the Wizard is not in play, one of the heroes (Warrior or Dwarf) can consider using the stones to gain the advantage of the Black die, but he/she should not bother buying a Helm (or if he/she already has, consider hawking it at the pawnshop in Rietburg Castle!), whereas the other non-runestones-toting hero definitely should invest in one.
Between the two, the Mage-Dwarf if preferable than the Mage-Warrior because the latter has a larger dice-pool and he/she will be more powerful in using the regular dice than the Dwarf.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually give the runestones to the Dwarf because it is so easy for him to get strength. Then he can roam the board punching things that need punching

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't math'd it out, but we generally haven't worried too much about who gets the runestones. They are pretty nice for the archer too, to avoid the painful decision of when to re-roll 4's and 5's.

I'm not sure we have ever bought a helm. It seems very random, so I would usually rather put my money on a sure thing. I figure if we bought it, we might never roll doubles, or might only roll double 1's or 2's.

I think the helm would be better for the warrior than the dwarf, because s/he has a better chance to roll high doubles to be able to really take advantage of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
I'm not sure we have ever bought a helm. It seems very random, so I would usually rather put my money on a sure thing. I figure if we bought it, we might never roll doubles, or might only roll double 1's or 2's.

Consider having a (maxed out dicepool) helmeted warrior fighting together with the wizard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
emodiu5 wrote:
I usually give the runestones to the Dwarf because it is so easy for him to get strength. Then he can roam the board punching things that need punching

Excellent point! Thanks embodiu5!

peakhope wrote:
I haven't math'd it out, but we generally haven't worried too much about who gets the runestones. They are pretty nice for the archer too, to avoid the painful decision of when to re-roll 4's and 5's.

Agreed! The Archer wielding the Black die from an adjacent space, pretty cool!

peakhope wrote:
I think the helm would be better for the warrior than the dwarf, because s/he has a better chance to roll high doubles to be able to really take advantage of it.

Agreed! That't precisely what I was trying to say: if the Wizard isn't in play, give the runestones to the Dwarf (no Helm), and outfit the Warrior with a Helm and let him fight with his regular blue dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Mad Math wrote:
Consider having a (maxed out dicepool) helmeted warrior fighting together with the wizard.

Ooooo, sounds sweet, must try that out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylusboy wrote:
Mad Math wrote:

Ooooo, sounds sweet, must try that out!

If there is some ranger (from "New Heroes") nearby it's even more useful to have a helm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylusboy wrote:
... (or if he/she already has, consider hawking it at the pawnshop in Rietburg Castle!),..

I'm sorry?
There is no way to "pawn" items, not in the Rietburg, nor elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Wolfram wrote:
Caylusboy wrote:
... (or if he/she already has, consider hawking it at the pawnshop in Rietburg Castle!),..

I'm sorry?

Hi Wolfram!

That was just a bit of deliberate jest on my part, I wasn't being serious of course!

P.S.: We just finished a great game of Legend 2 with my wife and daughter. It was the penultimate turn M, and we just made it to the foot of the dark fortress with the Skrall overlord towering above us, just after having successfully delivered the Herb to the ailing King. To make things worse (and more exciting!), we drew the "Creatures gain in strength for a day" Event Card (+ 1 strength point for the Skrall) that day.

Well, the Helmeted Warrior rolled two 6s, the Archer rolled a 1, switched to a 6 thanks to the Wizard, and took a swig of Potion, and the Wiz rolled a 6 with her Black die, a total of 30 + 13 Strength, for a grand total of 43.

Our Nemesis rolled a 6 + 31 = 37, taking 6 points of damage and thus being knocked out cold before even having had the chance to deliver a single blow!

We had a great time!
Great game, thanks Mr. Menzel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylusboy wrote:
Wolfram wrote:
Caylusboy wrote:

I'm sorry?

Hi Wolfram!

That was just a bit of deliberate jest on my part, I wasn't being serious of course!

P.S.: We just finished a great game of Legend 2 with my wife and daughter. It was the penultimate turn M, and we just made it to the foot of the dark fortress with the Skrall overlord towering above us, just after having successfully delivered the Herb to the ailing King. To make things worse (and more exciting!), we drew the "Creatures gain in strength for a day" Event Card (+ 1 strength point for the Skrall) that day.

Well, the Helmeted Warrior rolled two 6s, the Archer rolled a 1, switched to a 6 thanks to the Wizard, and took a swig of Potion, and the Wiz rolled a 6 with her Black die, a total of 30 + 13 Strength, for a grand total of 43.

Our Nemesis rolled a 6 + 31 = 37, taking 6 points of damage and thus being knocked out cold before even having had the chance to deliver a single blow!

We had a great time!
Great game, thanks Mr. Menzel!

That's also what I love about this game. The sessions make great stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally beat the dragon! I had armed the wizard with the runestones and both the warrior and the dwarf with the helm.

Unfortunately, the dwarf lost his helm before it was of any use, but we prevailed and finally slayed the mighty beast! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.